Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times

Advertisements

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/mi...590fc329f.html

The U.S. Marine Corps recorded one suicide in June and nine attempted suicides, the lowest monthly figures of the year.
The numbers are down substantially from May, when the service recorded seven suicides and 16 attempted suicides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Moderator cut: Off topic

How often do Air Force personnel deploy?
Why is their suicide rate lower?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-16-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,343,027 times
As a retired memeber of the Air Forces Medical Corps my duty during the begining of the first Gulf War was to record the deaths/injuries of military members in theater. What I had noticed is that Washington became good at altering numbers regarding deaths oversea in theater. An example: If an airman was shot in theater but dies in Germany from his wounds he would not be counted as a death in theater thus lowering the offical number. Even with the suicides, there were countless military members who had shot themselves intentionally in order to go home. Sometimes when they mean to shoot themselves in a non vital area they may miss and accidentally kill themselves or the wound gets infected beyond repair. No, I'm not trying to minialize the probelm but the statistics sometimes don't tell the whole story.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
As a retired memeber of the Air Forces Medical Corps my duty during the begining of the first Gulf War was to record the deaths/injuries of military members in theater. What I had noticed is that Washington became good at altering numbers regarding deaths oversea in theater. An example: If an airman was shot in theater but dies in Germany from his wounds he would not be counted as a death in theater thus lowering the offical number. Even with the suicides, there were countless military members who had shot themselves intentionally in order to go home. Sometimes when they mean to shoot themselves in a non vital area they may miss and accidentally kill themselves or the wound gets infected beyond repair. No, I'm not trying to minialize the probelm but the statistics sometimes don't tell the whole story.
After a redeployment, two soldiers killed themselves during their first weekend back. There was no note of it anywhere in the local paper or Stars & Stripes.

Simetime, they've been counting deaths like that since Nam; so long as they're not on the ground in theatre, they're not counted.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you post an excerpt of that article where soldiers are forced to stay?
As to multiple deployments,well that is because there aren't enough troops for the job at hand,seems the military was reduced back in the 1990's.

Have you ever been in the military? It is not like a regular job where you can just quit if you don't like it. Even if a military member wants to get out it still takes time for it to go up through chain of command and during that time he/she still has to be alert and realize that eventhough they want to leave the service they still have a job to do and other peoples lives are in their hands.

As far as the reductions are concerned, yes there were some major cuts but the shortage of manpower are centered in particular fields such as infantry, ordinanace and other hazardous positions. These are the ones that offer hugh bonuses. The other point that I want to make is that when the economy is screwed up like it is many young men and women flock to the military when it is good people tend to shy away from it and even the ones in the military tend to get out and make more money.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
After a redeployment, two soldiers killed themselves during their first weekend back. There was no note of it anywhere in the local paper or Stars & Stripes.

Simetime, they've been counting deaths like that since Nam; so long as they're not on the ground in theatre, they're not counted.
I never knew that until it became my job during the original Gulf War. It makes sense but it is slightly dishonest

Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I never knew that until it became my job during the original Gulf War. It makes sense but it is slightly dishonest
If the fatal injury is from a war zone, it should be counted as a death from the war zone.

Yes, I'm old enough to be a Viet Nam era vet.

They don't count suicides of veterans as military related, either.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,821,519 times
What is the suicide rate amongst civilians?

Serving under this POTUS is not feeling like you are respected like it was under Bush!

Many signed up for the benefits and because the can't find a decent job. They know they have to stay in the army because no job is waiting for them and that makes the future even harder to deal with.
Specially if your heart is not in the army and you are only serving for the benefits!

I wonder in today's economy if the suicide rate isn't up much more than before since many people are losing their home and no jobs to look forward too...BUT on the bright side POTUS is having a weekend of fun with his family and the dog and staff went on a different plane so more gas could be waisted!

And don't start to say Bush went also away.....we know he did, but the economy wasn't what it is right now and we didn't have the oil spill like there is now.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Quote:
Have you ever been in the military? It is not like a regular job where you can just quit if you don't like it. Even if a military member wants to get out it still takes time for it to go up through chain of command and during that time he/she still has to be alert and realize that eventhough they want to leave the service they still have a job to do and other peoples lives are in their hands.
Very true,so why did Chango make it sound like they were forced to go when the agreement was they would?

Quote:
As far as the reductions are concerned, yes there were some major cuts but the shortage of manpower are centered in particular fields such as infantry, ordinanace and other hazardous positions. These are the ones that offer hugh bonuses. The other point that I want to make is that when the economy is screwed up like it is many young men and women flock to the military when it is good people tend to shy away from it and even the ones in the military tend to get out and make more money.
Oddly enough,the Marines always managed to fill their quota,even when times were good.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic

How often do Air Force personnel deploy?
Why is their suicide rate lower?
Due to the nature of their job. Air Force personell are not "door kickers" and tend to stay further from the actual fighting except for special forces (pararescue come to mind) there may be some others but not many unlike the Marines and the Army. the Navy, except for the corpsmen who are the Marine medics are normally not in the line of fire on land either.

Oh, Air Force folks are not deployed as often depending on their job (loadmasters and other Aircraft maintance folks and some medical)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-16-2010 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies