Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,330,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
When we deployed from the Pacific Rim, the Chair Force (my branch) deployed their folks for 6 month stints. The nicest thing about the AF, they do put their people first because the mission will always be funded.

You know it is weird but poeple don't realize that each branch priorities are drastically different. The Air Force will spend money to train you to do one thing and thats it, they also spend alot of money providing comfort to their members (best gyms, living quarters, food ect) however they don't get promoted as quickly as the other branches. The Army and Marines spend quite a bit of money on training and equipment. they train you for a specific job but your main job is "grunt work". They get promoted (and demoted) quicker than the other branches also. The Navy falls in between the two extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
When I was in Asia, I worked in a purple environment and it was quite educational.
I got to see the differences in all of the services.
I'm still happy that I chose the AF over the other services.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why is the suicide rate of civilians so high at 18 per 100,000?
Why indeed? that would be a good thread, but it's irrelevant to this argument. The entire population of the country is not a good comparison in this case; it's just too broad with too many variables. Besides, don't military suicides count in the US total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Why is the suicide rate of the Navy and AF lower?
That one is easy.. Because they don't have to see other people's insides all the time. You are detached from the violence in the Navy and AF, so it doesn't 'eff you up so bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Oh for the love of god!!! How smart and cognizant of the future are 18 year kids, wide-eyed and salivating from the recruiter presentations and flashy commericals who sign the line?

What happens after they've come to grips with reality, have had their war and had enough but the military just wont let them go? How is that "willing"?

All I'm trying to say is I can see why sucides are high. It seems like the only way out.
This is true and the media glamorizes war and when the recruits get there they find it's not what they expected. And truthfully I hate when people sit on thier hunches and say "they knew what they were getting into when they signed up". NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE GETTING INTO WHEN THEY FIRST SIGN UP unless they heard it from someone else. Many become dislusioned when they realize that the people that sent them there either never served (Cheney, Rumsfeld ect) or don't have a freaking clue as to what they are doing (Bush). Before any of you conservatives jump on my back these were the folks that were running things when I was active duty.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
When I was in Asia, I worked in a purple environment and it was quite educational.
I got to see the differences in all of the services.
I'm still happy that I chose the AF over the other services.
Me too I did do a year in the Army also

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is true and the media glamorizes war and when the recruits get there they find it's not what they expected. And truthfully I hate when people sit on thier hunches and say "they knew what they were getting into when they signed up". NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE GETTING INTO WHEN THEY FIRST SIGN UP unless they heard it from someone else. Many become dislusioned when they realize that the people that sent them there either never served (Cheney, Rumsfeld ect) or don't have a freaking clue as to what they are doing (Bush). Before any of you conservatives jump on my back these were the folks that were running things when I was active duty.
If they can't figure out that this is wartime and what war is, then they shouldn't be making such big commitments.
Sorry, they're big boys & girls and responsible for their own actions.

I'd be sure to watch some movies if nothing else, and I'd talk with someone other than a recruiter.
What do they think war is?

They've got to look at more than what's in it for them, they need to look at what's expected of them for those medical benefits, education, subsidized housing, etc. Those "benefits" come with a price.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
If they can't figure out that this is wartime and what war is, then they shouldn't be making such big commitments.
Sorry, they're big boys & girls and responsible for their own actions.

I'd be sure to watch some movies if nothing else, and I'd talk with someone other than a recruiter.
What do they think war is?

They've got to look at more than what's in it for them, they need to look at what's expected of them for those medical benefits, education, subsidized housing, etc. Those "benefits" come with a price.
I overstand that but you are talking from experience and education. The army has been exposed for letting in less the educated, the gangbangers, the racist each has their own reasons for going in. The economy is another reason many kids go in blind not to mention some of the lies the recruiters are telling them. You, like myself did some research before signing the dotted line many of the young recruits never considered doing that.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM

351 posts, read 534,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What is the suicide rate amongst civilians?

Serving under this POTUS is not feeling like you are respected like it was under Bush!

Many signed up for the benefits and because the can't find a decent job. They know they have to stay in the army because no job is waiting for them and that makes the future even harder to deal with.
Specially if your heart is not in the army and you are only serving for the benefits!

I wonder in today's economy if the suicide rate isn't up much more than before since many people are losing their home and no jobs to look forward too...BUT on the bright side POTUS is having a weekend of fun with his family and the dog and staff went on a different plane so more gas could be waisted!

And don't start to say Bush went also away.....we know he did, but the economy wasn't what it is right now and we didn't have the oil spill like there is now.
Who cares?

If military personnel would rather go on vacations with their family instead of being at war then they should have went to college and law school. This isnt a place like the middle east, where you dont go to school if you are poor. In this nation people will throw student loans at you faster than you can ask for them, so Obama should not give up ONE second of his life worrying about people who picked another path.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
Quote:
Army suicides hit record number in June - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100716/us_yblog_upshot/record-number-of-u-s-soldiers-commited-suicide-last-month - broken link)

Thirty-two soldiers took their own lives last month, the most Army suicides in a single month since the Vietnam era. Eleven of the soldiers were not on active duty. Of the 21 who were, seven were serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, the Department of Defense said.
Army officials say they don't have any answers to why more and more soldiers are resorting to suicide.
<snip>
Last year, a record-breaking 245 soldiers committed suicide. The Army seems on track to surpass that number this year, as 145 soldiers have taken their lives in the first half of 2010.

Too many kids, too young, not understanding what war is before they join.
32 kids dead in one month.

These are Army numbers and do not include the other branches of the military.
In all the previous wars did youthful soldiers understand what they were facing? Did they have counseling for WWII vets or Civil War vets or???
Maybe it is more a matter of what they are coming home to than what they are facing over there.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
Who cares?

If military personnel would rather go on vacations with their family instead of being at war then they should have went to college and law school. This isnt a place like the middle east, where you dont go to school if you are poor. In this nation people will throw student loans at you faster than you can ask for them, so Obama should not give up ONE second of his life worrying about people who picked another path.
I don't think you have to worry about Obama giving a second thought to any soldier or anyone else for that matter. Just chill. And some of our soldiers are professionals my friend who answered a higher calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies