Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,909,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What is the suicide rate amongst civilians?
18 per 100,000.
The Navy and Air Force are both lower than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,867,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How is it against your will when you agreed to it?

When a person enlists,it is clearly spelled out.
Oh for the love of god!!! How smart and cognizant of the future are 18 year kids, wide-eyed and salivating from the recruiter presentations and flashy commericals who sign the line?

What happens after they've come to grips with reality, have had their war and had enough but the military just wont let them go? How is that "willing"?

All I'm trying to say is I can see why sucides are high. It seems like the only way out.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,335,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Due to the nature of their job. Air Force personell are not "door kickers" and tend to stay further from the actual fighting except for special forces (pararescue come to mind) there may be some others but not many unlike the Marines and the Army. the Navy, except for the corpsmen who are the Marine medics are normally not in the line of fire on land either.

Oh, Air Force folks are not deployed as often depending on their job (loadmasters and other Aircraft maintance folks and some medical)
When we deployed from the Pacific Rim, the Chair Force (my branch) deployed their folks for 6 month stints. The nicest thing about the AF, they do put their people first because the mission will always be funded.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Due to the nature of their job. Air Force personell are not "door kickers" and tend to stay further from the actual fighting except for special forces (pararescue come to mind) there may be some others but not many unlike the Marines and the Army. the Navy, except for the corpsmen who are the Marine medics are normally not in the line of fire on land either.

Oh, Air Force folks are not deployed as often depending on their job (loadmasters and other Aircraft maintance folks and some medical)
Air Force personnel deploy quite a bit I believe,Navy also.

I also think you might find a large number of the military have NEVER been to Iraq or Afghanistan,not sure how that happened.

Our closest friend has been to Iraq three tours,starting with the initial invasion.All the tours were as Infantry.Volunteered to go the second and third time I believe.
However he says he has done enough now.
I happen to agree with him.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Oh for the love of god!!! How smart and cognizant of the future are 18 year kids, wide-eyed and salivating from the recruiter presentations and flashy commericals who sign the line?

What happens after they've come to grips with reality, have had their war and had enough but the military just wont let them go? How is that "willing"?

All I'm trying to say is I can see why sucides are high. It seems like the only way out.
Why is the suicide rate of civilians so high at 18 per 100,000?

Why is the suicide rate of the Navy and AF lower?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,352,088 times
Quote:
Very true,so why did Chango make it sound like they were forced to go when the agreement was they would?

Oddly enough,the Marines always managed to fill their quota,even when times were good.
Truthfully, I have no idea what he was talking about

The Marines, are (to me) an odd bunch (I say this with upmost respect) this is the only branch were people go in KNOWING exactly what is expected from them and revel in it. The Marine training is the hardest to go through of all of the services b/c they break you down completely and than build you up as a Marine. To me being a Marine is a sort of like an elite fraternity that once you finish basic training you are always considered a Marine until you die. Knowing this recruits go in gung ho thus limiting the lies the Marine recruiter would have tell in order to sell the program.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,352,088 times
Quote:
Air Force personnel deploy quite a bit I believe,Navy also.

I also think you might find a large number of the military have NEVER been to Iraq or Afghanistan,not sure how that happened.

Our closest friend has been to Iraq three tours,starting with the initial invasion.All the tours were as Infantry.Volunteered to go the second and third time I believe.
However he says he has done enough now.
I happen to agree with him.
Many don't go b/c they don't volunteer to do so. Like I mentioned earlier AF and Navy personel don't kick in doors and therefore many do not mind "volunteering" to go and make the tax free money there. Personally I have never been to Iraq nor Afganistan but I did go to Saudi and that was b/c I wanted to go see for myself what was going on there.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,335,015 times
Quote:

The Marines, are (to me) an odd bunch (I say this with upmost respect) this is the only branch were people go in KNOWING exactly what is expected from them and revel in it. The Marine training is the hardest to go through of all of the services b/c they break you down completely and than build you up as a Marine. To me being a Marine is a sort of like an elite fraternity that once you finish basic training you are always considered a Marine until you die. Knowing this recruits go in gung ho thus limiting the lies the Marine recruiter would have tell in order to sell the program.
That may be. Marine officers (that I know) are honorable men.

However, marine grunts are frequently treated like animals. Some guys I knew volunteered to go downrange because they weren't often allowed out of their barracks. It seems if there is one moron, all (literally thousands) of enlisteds in the barracks are stuck on base. To escape, some guys get married. How well do you think that works out in the long run?

In the Army, your MOS determines your deployment schedule.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:

LOL...that is putting it politely.

Perhaps the problem lies with the Army telling lies?

Marines have a higher suicide rate than the Army though.

It is all quite sad really and I think there is a grain of truth to what some are stating here,our friend KNEW what it was going to be like in the Marines,his father had spent 29 years in.

A lot of young guys that I knew who were in weren't quite as savvy.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,651,838 times
The Navy beats you down pretty hard too, only to be later built back up again.

It's after you leave basic training where the Navy gets easier than the Marines. But up until that point, you'll be swearing to god you're about to drop dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies