Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
Exactly what does the way your children were raised have to do with a person in their 50s without any family not being able to find a job and therefore has no money and cannot provide for her physical survival?

So in 93 weeks the 50=something yr old has not been able to find a job. Let me ask you if you think age discrimination has been completely eliminated over that 93 week period?

You say I think that government should solve all our problems. No. However, I do think that government can contribute to the resolution of our most severe problems, like starving people, homeless people, bag ladies on the street, especially older Americans living in cardboard boxes. Could it be that we as a culture have no respect for anything other than money, and that "old" people are just a burden, so why don't they die already? Hmmmm? By the way, what percentage of the budget goes to social services??

The way I raised my children is pertinent in that ADULTS need to be creative and plan for the worst.

And no, discrimination comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. But I frankly find it insulting that you would assume a twenty something has more to offer than a fifty something. Going to school doesn't make you smart...experience does.

And as far as the job market, maybe we need to close the borders to illegals and enforce our laws. You are right, if we can't take care of our own citizens we shouldn't be allowing more people to come here.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Where is she going to get the money to move to Alberta, Canada? And what will she do when she gets there?
Don't know, but I heard there is a lot of work up there

Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 PM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I didn't read the whole thread but speaking as a 50-something woman who has some experience with looking for work, I know it's all about a support network. I've had people live with me when they had no place else to go, I know my friends and family (even extended family...cousins I rarely see) would extend me the same. She also would need to make herself attractive to employers and that might include loosing wieght and highlighting whatever skills she has picked up during her 50+ years on earth. Nobody gets to that age on their own without knowing how to do SOMETHING. She should broaden her social network too.

While a story like this makes me feel sad there have been stories like this since the beginning of time and nobody demanded that we extend UE benefits forever. That's what welfare is for and that's a topic for a different thread.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 PM

640 posts, read 388,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Good points. If the government runs something, it's a disaster. Look at the Post Office. More expensive than the private carriers. I ordered a book on ebay last week and it arrived well-packed in plastic. But my brilliant mail carrier put it in a plastic bag and hung it from the mailbox flag on a rainy day. When I went to get it, the brand-new coffee table book of nice photography had been soaking in 4" of water for an hour. Ruined. And did I mention the time I spent over $40 to ship vacation treasures home? The box, which was incredibly well packed and padded, had either been dropped from a height of 100 feet, or run over repeatedly, or both. EVERYTHING was destroyed. I brought it to the Post Office and they said tough, I should have bought insurance ON TOP of the $40 cost!!!! Apparently they can destroy your packages with absolutely no responsibility, and keep 100% of the money you gave them. Government attitude: give us everything, and we do what we want to benefit ourselves.

Fact is, government has become such a burden on the working class and businesses that it has destroyed our economy, and with it any hope of prosperity in the future. We've created huge numbers of people who live off the public dole. Work and you're robbed and punished: don't work and you're the government's spoiled child.

Only a small government would allow business to prosper and provide jobs and prosperity for the nation--and that's such a long-ago memory that it might as well never have existed.

Even though government policy sent all our jobs overseas with "free trade," and choked the economy until it barely functions at the most basic level, it still expects the next generations to finance the Baby Boom's retirement, the unproductive masses who are rewarded for breeding, and the massive weight of 3 levels of government (with almost no jobs that pay anything, combined with huge income tax rates). Not even theoretically possible.

Of course, if the Social Security Trust Fund hadn't been stolen by this same federal government, we'd have enough in the bank to pay for the Baby Boom retirement. So who is to blame? The scum in Washington, both parties.

You can't get blood from a stone, and the economy has been permanently petrified by government. Until massive government is gone, so is prosperity--for the working class and government-dole classes alike.
Funny. I thought the Bankers destroyed our economy

We're not talking about "prosperity" in this thread. We are talking about older people with no family who at this moment are in dire circumstances because they are unemployed and cannot find a job.

I think your response is a bit off topic. How can we as a society deal with the coming crisis of older people without jobs, no income, no prospects of a job, being homeless people on our streets? Is there ANYTHING we can do?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
this able bodied person with no children went 93 weeks without a job? How is giving her another 6 weeks or whatever congress wants to pass going to help her. 6 weeks down the road she will probably be in the same position. Enough is enough. It has to stop somewhere.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
The way I raised my children is pertinent in that ADULTS need to be creative and plan for the worst.

And no, discrimination comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. But I frankly find it insulting that you would assume a twenty something has more to offer than a fifty something. Going to school doesn't make you smart...experience does.

And as far as the job market, maybe we need to close the borders to illegals and enforce our laws. You are right, if we can't take care of our own citizens we shouldn't be allowing more people to come here.
This woman is already an older adult. Whatever mistakes she made, they have already been made. That's in the past.

I'm not the one assuming a 20-something yr old has more to offer than a 50-something yr old. I'm saying that business people, employers, are the people who certainly seem to think younger is better most of the time. Younger people are cheaper to hire and they have much longer potential work life. Some employers do NOT want older people with more experience. They find that threatening to the younger people working there. Older people are not as easily "controlled"......therefore you get the "Over Qualified" excuse.

I don't want to get into a conversation about closing the borders. This is about the plight of a U.S. citizen who is in her 50s who has no family and cannot find a job here, now, today.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
this able bodied person with no children went 93 weeks without a job? How is giving her another 6 weeks or whatever congress wants to pass going to help her. 6 weeks down the road she will probably be in the same position. Enough is enough. It has to stop somewhere.
Well, that's a no-brainer. So what do you suggest to help people like this woman not become a homeless bag lady? Or do you think she deserves to be a homeless bag lady, living out on the dangerous streets and a cardboard box?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Has anyone mentioned roommates?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
This woman is already an older adult. Whatever mistakes she made, they have already been made. That's in the past.

I'm not the one assuming a 20-something yr old has more to offer than a 50-something yr old. I'm saying that business people, employers, are the people who certainly seem to think younger is better most of the time. Younger people are cheaper to hire and they have much longer potential work life. Some employers do NOT want older people with more experience. They find that threatening to the younger people working there. Older people are not as easily "controlled"......therefore you get the "Over Qualified" excuse.

I don't want to get into a conversation about closing the borders. This is about the plight of a U.S. citizen who is in her 50s who has no family and cannot find a job here, now, today.
I am not convinced she can't find a job.

My fifteen year old makes $65 dollars on Saturday afternoon cleaning the vet's dog kennels.

BTW, we are in Michigan.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Well, that's a no-brainer. So what do you suggest to help people like this woman not become a homeless bag lady? Or do you think she deserves to be a homeless bag lady, living out on the dangerous streets and a cardboard box?
That is one thing that caused this mess.

The thought EVEYONE should own a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies