Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM

5,508 posts, read 5,258,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Or maybe she could thank the dems for our expanded gov't that wastes hard earned taxpayer money. If half the country wasn't on the public dole maybe there would actually BE money for unemployment. And when Obama gets done there will even be less jobs to go to. With all the stipulations he is putting on businesses even the low paying jobs will disappear or go part time.

Until the Federal Government operates like a business they should not tell businesses how to operate. When businesses run out of money they go under, get it? No jobs.
Good points. If the government runs something, it's a disaster. Look at the Post Office. More expensive than the private carriers. I ordered a book on ebay last week and it arrived well-packed in plastic. But my brilliant mail carrier put it in a plastic bag and hung it from the mailbox flag on a rainy day. When I went to get it, the brand-new coffee table book of nice photography had been soaking in 4" of water for an hour. Ruined. And did I mention the time I spent over $40 to ship vacation treasures home? The box, which was incredibly well packed and padded, had either been dropped from a height of 100 feet, or run over repeatedly, or both. EVERYTHING was destroyed. I brought it to the Post Office and they said tough, I should have bought insurance ON TOP of the $40 cost!!!! Apparently they can destroy your packages with absolutely no responsibility, and keep 100% of the money you gave them. Government attitude: give us everything, and we do what we want to benefit ourselves.

Fact is, government has become such a burden on the working class and businesses that it has destroyed our economy, and with it any hope of prosperity in the future. We've created huge numbers of people who live off the public dole. Work and you're robbed and punished: don't work and you're the government's spoiled child.

Only a small government would allow business to prosper and provide jobs and prosperity for the nation--and that's such a long-ago memory that it might as well never have existed.

Even though government policy sent all our jobs overseas with "free trade," and choked the economy until it barely functions at the most basic level, it still expects the next generations to finance the Baby Boom's retirement, the unproductive masses who are rewarded for breeding, and the massive weight of 3 levels of government (with almost no jobs that pay anything, combined with huge income tax rates). Not even theoretically possible.

Of course, if the Social Security Trust Fund hadn't been stolen by this same federal government, we'd have enough in the bank to pay for the Baby Boom retirement. So who is to blame? The scum in Washington, both parties.

You can't get blood from a stone, and the economy has been permanently petrified by government. Until massive government is gone, so is prosperity--for the working class and government-dole classes alike.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM

640 posts, read 389,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Bitter?
Thankful that I did and still do, sorry for those who won't or think they can't.
Oh, the 70 year old had a 50 year old son that was mentally challenged and was never able to work.
She worked because she had to.
People do things like that when they have to, even if their body hurts.
They are thankful for the body that God gave them and they use that body because that is why they have it.
Do you know that the more you work, the more you can and the better you feel?
YEP, its true.
I highly doubt her body has given out at fifty or even sixty, she has a long time before her body starts to ache and throb but she can keep going even after it does and it is much better for her if she does.
What about age bias by employers? There are NOT a lot of employers out there who will hire the elderly, or the almost-elderly.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,543,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
Feeling anger at the woman in the OP is not going to help her or us either. This is a problem that is going to be in-our-faces sooner than we think.

So do you have any ideas which would help such a woman?
Have you read this entire thread??? Because if so why would you ask this question yet again?
Asked and answered. But I will repeat it for you.

Who is going to help such a woman? If not family, then preferably friends, former co-workers, church, community, food stamps, woman's shelter, and YES the ORIGINAL Poster who started this thread.

If I had a friend in this situation I would assist her in a multitued of ways INCLUDING helping her find a job. Which I have done, and recently for a friend of mine. I have been on Craigslist recently looking at jobs for this person!

So I know a bit of what I speak because I was recently driving a jobless friend around to job interviews-Old Fort N.C which is a piece out in the country! Plus assisted her financially because that is what friends do in my world. Yes, I am a Conservative against govt aid just to clarify!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,808,948 times
This is a serious problem in our society. The baby boom generation is aging quickly. Do you want people dying in our streets from starvation? How are we going to deal with this problem of many elderly people without any means of support?

Have you ever seen the movie, "Soylent Green" ?

We have been seeing such rapid change throughout society that there is very little which remains unfathomable for the future
and the resolution of America's population growth as contrasted with the depletion of resources, an aging generation, diminished
opportunity, the separation of classes of people by economic standard and all of the socio-economic division between the ones
who have and those who have not. I would not be happy at all if I were young and strapped with the burden of paying the tab
for the old folks who were essentially responsible for the upbuilding of a society, which is obviously failing so miserably, today.
It is not that I believe that the upcoming generation will lack basic human compassion, but that somehow the elder generation
has not created those avenues of relief or provided the means for a successive generation to be able to address these issues,
relieve the situations that are rapidly developing in this country.

Social unrest is more prevalent today than it has been in a long time and because the generation which must carry the burden
have become overly dependent upon all of the advanced technology which has only served to strengthen little more than the texting
fingers of those have been luxuriating themselves and languishing in the "me first" mindset of a country, which more closely resembles
Disneyland, than the United States of America of a day gone by, that has now gone woefully as well as painfully awry.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,543,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
? Have you ever seen the movie, "Soylent Green" ?
No, I would guess fasting on soy products only as part of the green movement??

Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,877,599 times
Nitsua, my kids would have loved to have you around when they were growing up. They can up with all kinds of excuses why they shouldn't have to do their chores, too. But they grew up, as MOST of us do. And they know if you don't want to starve you need to work. They also knew that if they wanted to go to the movies on Sat. they had to SAVE to do it. If they wanted something more expensive they had to Plan ways to get the money.

I do feel sorry for the people that have lost their jobs and yes it can happen to anyone. But in 93 weeks you can find many ways to help yourself out. But that isn't what you are arguing. You think the Gov't should take care of all of societys ills. But then who do you think should pay for this.

You've already stated that the ultra rich will move away if they are taxed too much. If people that are 50 are no longer hireable, do you think people in their 30s and 40s should support everyone over 50?

You do realize that the gov't can't just print money don't you? I mean the money that the gov't has is money that belongs to the taxpayers. You get that don't you?

You can come up with millions of excuses for people but you haven't shared any ideas on how to deal with it. Does the unemployment keep coming until someone else is in the administration that will actually CREATE jobs?

Your negativity is beyond belief. Your "what ifs

" don't solve any problems. Try channeling your attitude in a more positive direction and maybe one day you will wake up and YOU won't be so afraid.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,934,832 times
Quote:
What about age bias by employers? There are NOT a lot of employers out there who will hire the elderly, or the almost-elderly.
You do realize it is against the law to discriminate based on age... that's what lawyers are for...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Maybe she could babysit. They make good money.
Why in the world would anyone hire a 50-something yr old woman who never had children as a babysitter? Unless, of course, the woman had some sort of education/experience in caring for children.

I would think people would be very CAREFUL about who they hired to take care of their children, as children are so precious!

What do you mean by "good money" when you talk about baby sitters making good money?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You do realize it is against the law to discriminate based on age... that's what lawyers are for...
I do realize it is illegal to discriminate based on age...........and the reality is people don't win those kinds of cases. Age discrimination is next to impossible to prove.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,460,959 times
Quote:
Why in the world would anyone hire a 50-something yr old woman who never had children as a babysitter? Unless, of course, the woman had some sort of education/experience in caring for children.

I would think people would be very CAREFUL about who they hired to take care of their children, as children are so precious!

What do you mean by "good money" when you talk about baby sitters making good money?
They can. Some positions come with room and board.

People pay good money to have their pets cared for too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies