Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
You can run 20 seconds of the video in Post #2 and have your answer.

To quote the New Black Panther Party representative shown in the video, King Samir Shabazz...

"Who are you to decide?"

And he did repeat the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
No, what I put was just factual as to who they were. I don't think they should be exhonorated at all. I think they should be prosecuted. Anyone else, no matter what organization, would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Ummmm. The fact that Obama won exhonorates the Black Panther Thugs in front of the election site? Is that what you are saying? Well, I guess you could say, they were successful... Help me out. Cuz, I really don't get your post.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have a feeling that you should be hard at work for any group that wants to intimidate any white Republican voters at this fall's election. You don't understand what they wanted to do since most voters would probably vote Dem in that election if they lived in that area. Am I wrong that each voter is supposed to vote at a certain polling place and they have his name on the books? If I am right then surely a few white voters would have been voting against Obama.

How about the poll watcher those two told not to come out again to see what they were doing? I suppose that none of this was at all intimidating although he said he was frightened by their appearance and the way they talked to him. Intimidation is intimidation just as Bull could tell you from his experiences in Mississippi.

Did I see Holder even mention the Voting Rights Act of 1964? I don't recall it even coming up in his words, but then . . . . . . . .
The poll watchers didn't even know the NBPP guys were out there.

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/AngelaCoun...Transcript.pdf

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/LarryCount...Transcript.pdf

Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.

You are not serious, right?

When in the existence of sane people, has it EVER been acceptable to stand out in front of a polling place and intimidate potential voters. Those guys looked intimidating and carried WEAPONS;older people who valued thier lives, would have run away. That is not a republic, that is a fascist state. God help you if you can condone this affront to our right to unmolested voting.

Having concealed carry, had I confronted these guys with weapons, I would have pulled out my .40 cal Sig (which is my preferred carry), told them to get thier MF asses on the ground with thier hands on the back of thier heads, or I would have shot them dead. Why? They were brandishing weapons and I do not condone imbeciles trying to threaten me. They were committing ASSUALT, as that is the CREDIBLE THREAT to cause harm. Battery would have been the use of thier weapon.

Had they asked me if I was voting Republican, I would have said "yes", and drawn the weapon at the same instant. I can tell you damn straight that I will make sure to carry whenever I vote. If I confront Black Panthers, there will be a gun fight, and I will win, as I am trained in handguns and they are not. I am old enough and have cancer, so do I do not value my life as much as my liberty. There are many, many more people like me who will face these violent thugs down (as we have nothing to lose) if the government will not protect the freedom to vote. I am a professional and wealthy. When you have wealthy, law abiding citizens who have to think about killing people to vote, perhaps the current administration has gone WAY TO FAR in thier radical agenda. Most people are realizing that Obama is the president of certain groups, but not everyone, and does not give a damn about half of the US population. He is not our president, as the Black Panther decision verifies.

I VALUE LIBERTY AND MY RIGHT TO VOTE. DO YOU WANT GUN BATTLES AT POLLING PLACES? ARE YOU INSANE? I AM QUITE SERIOUS ABOUT MY STATEMENTS AND WOULD CONTEST WITH VIOLENCE MY ABILITY TO VOTE. IF WE NO LONGER HAVE THAT RIGHT, THE REPUBLIC IS DEAD, SO WHO CARES.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 07-18-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
The police were called. Both members of the NBPP were wearing paramilitary clothing, and the one carrying the night stick was heckling voters, calling them "white devils" and "cracker." The one carrying the night stick was the NBPP's Minister King Shabazz. The other, Jerry Jackson, was an official poll watcher of the Democratic party. Shabazz was arrested by the Philadelphia police, but I don't know about Jackson. Jackson served as an official poll watcher four days later at a Philadelphia municipal election.
Shabazz was not arrested, he was just told he couldn't stand there.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Well, I'm not at all intimidated by black people or anyone of any race, creed or color, and I don't think black people are intimidated by me. I pay no attention whatsoever to skin color other than to notice it like someone's hair color when first seeing someone. Neither are my children. I walk into institutions all day long with my job, walking by and through individuals and groups of all races, and I am respectful and everyone in return is respectful. Most people don't give a darn about race, I've found. And as one gentleman so profoundly put it, here on CD, we're just 25 or so lunkheads trying to make a point. Most people are respectful of others until someone gives them a reason not to be.

In fact, in reading your messages here, I remember reading a message by you posted a little over a month ago in the Black Flight Hits Detroit thread about Detroit being majority black, and you didn't say one word about it being due to "white intimidation." You cited another reason which I won't go into here.

I'm intimidated by anyone whom I get the feeling may try to do me harm. And I've surely run across my share of them of all races.

Quote:
I think that white people tend to be intimidated by black people anyway. As much as you talk about black criminality and black violence....any black people standing in front of any establishment is intimidating to some white folks. Hell....Detroit went from a majority white city to a majority black city because whites were intimidated by blacks. The justice department needs something OBJECTIVE to go by....not the SUBJECTIVE fears of whites concerning blacks.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Right. I see someone talking on a cell phone behind them and a old guy with a cane walk up and it looks like they are not even paying attention to them. Where are the people who said that they went to vote......but did not vote because they felt intimidated?
The person on the cell phone behind the NBPP was a white women. If you read the transcripts of the poll workers you will see that the investigators had a lot of questions about her. They want to talk to her. Does she look intimidated to you?

Meanwhile the Republicans filming the event claimed that they were afraid for their lives, yet they didn't call the police. Kind of strange.

I find myself agreeing with the Conservative, Bush appointed, Vice Chair of the Civil Rights commission: "it is very small potatoes."

The New Black Panther Case: A Conservative Dissent - Abigail Thernstrom - National Review Online

Forget about the New Black Panther Party case; it is very small potatoes. Perhaps the Panthers should have been prosecuted under section 11 (b) of the Voting Rights Act for their actions of November 2008, but the legal standards that must be met to prove voter intimidation — the charge — are very high.

In the 45 years since the act was passed, there have been a total of three successful prosecutions. The incident involved only two Panthers at a single majority-black precinct in Philadelphia. So far — after months of hearings, testimony and investigation — no one has produced actual evidence that any voters were too scared to cast their ballots. Too much overheated rhetoric filled with insinuations and unsubstantiated charges has been devoted to this case.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Well, I'm not at all intimidated by black people or anyone of any race, creed or color, and I don't think black people are intimidated by me. I pay no attention whatsoever to skin color other than to notice it like someone's hair color when first seeing someone. Neither are my children. I walk into institutions all day long with my job, walking by and through individuals and groups of all races, and I am respectful and everyone in return is respectful. Most people don't give a darn about race, I've found. And as one gentleman so profoundly put it, here on CD, we're just 25 or so lunkheads trying to make a point. Most people are respectful of others until someone gives them a reason not to be.

In fact, in reading your messages here, I remember reading a message by you posted a little over a month ago in the Black Flight Hits Detroit thread about Detroit being majority black, and you didn't say one word about it being due to "white intimidation." You cited another reason which I won't go into here.

I'm intimidated by anyone whom I get the feeling may try to do me harm. And I've surely run across my share of them of all races.

I am not intimidated by black people either. That is not the point.

I have black relatives in my direct family, went to high school that was half black, and sold pot for a mexican gang while in high school. I have little fear of race and don't care what color anyone is.

I DO CARE about my voting rights. When we have thugs (regardless of color) standing in front of polling places trying to intimidate voters who do not agree with thier views, that is when WE HAVE A REALLY BIG PROBLEM.

Again, I have usually left my gun at home when voting, but now I will carry when going to the polling places. If someone wants to bar me (a registered voter and a US citizen) from voting, there will be a gun fight.

IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT?

I can gaurantee you that if the Black Panthers show up again in the 2012 elections with weapons at polling places, there will be other citizens, armed to the teeth, to fight them.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I agree, they weren't really doing anything wrong. I think the KKK should have been there swinging a noose. As long as the Black Panthers or the KKK didn't used their little toys no harm right?
No matter how facitious you choose to be....the fact remains that it does not make sense to attempt to intimidate white voters when Obama needed white voters to win and white voters generally split nearly 50/50 between the two parties. If you want to try to reduce votes for democrats than it would make sense to stand out in front of a polling place or make efforts to reduce the black vote because 90% of the black vote goes to democrats.

Thus....the first question one has to ask is did the BPP want Obama to win. If they did then they realized that the white vote was needed for Obama to win and moreover, the more integrated the polling site the more likely that the majority of people showing up will be voting liberal. Now...if the wante to suppresse the white republican vote they could have driven out to a polling station in a district that votes heavily Republican. Now....granted......that one guy probably simply hates white people to a degree that his hatred is working against his own interest to get Obama elected....by saying racist things. However....I did not hear any of those things in the video. I mean....they were not carrying signs like the some elements of the Tea Party does.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
You can run 20 seconds of the video in Post #2 and have your answer.

To quote the New Black Panther Party representative shown in the video, King Samir Shabazz...

"Who are you to decide?"

And he did repeat the question.
WHo are you to decide what? All I seen in the video was him having a back and forth with a camera crew that was not even there to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies