Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

I remember President Obama's campaign pledge that his healthcare plan

"I'll pass a universal health care bill that allows every American to get the same kind of health care that members of Congress get for themselves and cuts every family's premiums by up to $2500. And mark my words - I will sign this bill by the end of my first term as President. That's the change we can offer in 2008."

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com

Well, my health insurance plan renewed for the first time since his healthplan was passed. My premium is $300 per month HIGHER now costing me $1500 per month.

Due to the increase in cost, I was forced to leave the plan I liked (PPO) and move to a EPO with a high deductible. I guess that knocks out his other promise that if I liked my plan I'd be able to keep it.

So basically, thanks for nothing President Obama. If this is a good example of the consequences of bills you pass, please do us a favor and don't pass any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
The CBO projected costs would increase..
No one cared..
Democrats got what they wanted, more incentive for you to join a welfare healthcare plan..

You now have $300 a month more incentive now than you did before. Arent you happy about it?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
First of all, Congress did not pass the "universal health care bill" that Obama was hoping for. At best we got a bastardized insurance reform bill passed by reps with obligations to the health insurance lobby.

Second, nothing in the bill has yet been implemented that would affect your current premiums. If your current premiums went from $1200 to $1500 per month then blame your insurance company not Obama.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
First of all, Congress did not pass the "universal health care bill" that Obama was hoping for. At best we got a bastardized insurance reform bill passed by reps with obligations to the health insurance lobby.

Second, nothing in the bill has yet been implemented that would affect your current premiums. If your current premiums went from $1200 to $1500 per month then blame your insurance company not Obama.
He signed the bill into law so he takes the credit/blame for it whether it was what he was hoping for or if it was "bastardized". The buck is supposed to stop with the President.

So since you seem to know about the timelines of this law,, WHEN can I expect my $2500 decrease in annual premium?

Last edited by NSHL10; 07-18-2010 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
So it was just rethoric to promise such thngs ;what a surprise.Its his bill since he signed it.The truth is that many democratic speacial interest actaulyl wanted nothg to do with it and faught to keep their insurnace as is. Unions demnded and got thier high dollar plans still not considered as income. No one really wanted to pay anything amoung any democratic specail interest group.That made them scramble for funding and the resulting bill.Oabma was willig to settle for nayhting to say he did not fail.This was purely a battle amoung democrats who passed the bill alone.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
He signed the bill into law so he takes the credit/blame for it whether it was what he was hoping for or if it was "bastardized". The buck is supposed to stop with the President.

So since you seem to know about the timelines of this law,, WHEN can I expect my $2500 decrease in annual premium?
According to Obama, it's the buck's fault for not stopping.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:

So then he won't get it done by the end of his first term? So we can mark his words as lies?

Last edited by shorebaby; 07-18-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:

WHAT? ooh please, Obama jumped up and down with excitement while signing the healthcare bill into law.

And there are LOTS of things in the bill which would affect ones premiums, just nothing to REDUCE them..

Yeah, dont blame Obama, for passing the Obama bill.. My only surprise is that you somehow mannaged to not blame the GOP..

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Reduced premiums will come mainly through tax credits and the option to buy insurance through the exchange. The government can't force private companies to reduce your premium by $2500/year. Is that the compliant? Candidate Obama's supposed "promise" to slash your premium by $2500 on your current policy?

The exchange (operational in 2014?) is expected to offer policies about 10% lower than non-exchange premiums (@ $1500/month that would be a saving of about $1800 year - then apply the tax credits)

The original bill had provisions to approve/regulate rate increases but I don't believe this was in the final version. The main provisions that went through are the exchange option, and limiting an insurers ability to cut you off (they cut off a local boy half way through his cancer treatments) or exclude pre-existing conditions (2014).

Healthcare timeline:
Timeline: When health care reform will affect you - CNN.com

Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 18,454 times
Quote:
Reduced premiums will come mainly through tax credits and the option to buy insurance through the exchange. The government can't force private companies to reduce your premium by $2500/year. Is that the compliant? Candidate Obama's supposed "promise" to slash your premium by $2500 on your current policy?

The exchange (operational in 2014?) is expected to offer policies about 10% lower than non-exchange premiums (@ $1500/month that would be a saving of about $1800 year - then apply the tax credits)

The original bill had provisions to approve/regulate rate increases but I don't believe this was in the final version. The main provisions that went through are the exchange option, and limiting an insurers ability to cut you off (they cut off a local boy half way through his cancer treatments) or exclude pre-existing conditions (2014).

Healthcare timeline:
Timeline: When health care reform will affect you - CNN.com
quit posting those damn pesky facts . The people need to manufacture some sort of outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies