Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

That article is so misleading it is laughable.

It seems targeted at an audience programmed to shriek every time the word Islam or Sharia is mentioned.

Do they not understand Kagan was not talking about OUR Constitution? Sheesh. What a hamfisted, amateurish lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Here's more.

Kagan’s Shariah Problem

Importantly, Muslims who share this goal but are not up to waging jihad themselves are expected to provide financial resources via zakat (or tithing) to those who are. Fully four of the eight specified causes to which Shariah says such philanthropy can be assigned involve direct or indirect support for the jihadists.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only.

Someone may need to read the financial reform bill in this light and see if anything is there.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-22-2010 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, like she is going to come out and say... "Yeah! I want Sharia law in the US!"

Not only did she never say it, she never wrote it either.

The article is nothing more than dishonest propaganda, aimed at an audience that can be counted on not to read the linked material in detail or apply any critical thinking skills.

I studied about communism in college. I even wrote a paper on it, and another on the geography of the USSR. Does that make me a Bolshevik?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

The article is nothing more than dishonest propaganda, aimed at an audience that can be counted on not to read the linked material in detail or apply any critical thinking skills.

I studied about communism in college. I even wrote a paper on it, and another on the geography of the USSR. Does that make me a Bolshevik?

yep

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Here's more.

Kagan’s Shariah Problem

Importantly, Muslims who share this goal but are not up to waging jihad themselves are expected to provide financial resources via zakat (or tithing) to those who are. Fully four of the eight specified causes to which Shariah says such philanthropy can be assigned involve direct or indirect support for the jihadists.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only.

Someone may need to read the financial reform bill in this light and see if anything is there.
Complete nonsense. People fabricating positions and making straw man arguments about things Kagan never said is not evidence.

Legal academics write papers and have discussions like this all the time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-22-2010 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
yep
Well you better call the papers and let them know that all those CIA analysts working in the Eastern Europe section at Langley were actually undercover communists.

I can see you don't really care what the truth is here, and that is hardly surprising.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Because a guy called Noah Feldman is obviously an Islamic zealot.

FFS, you guys are so ridiculous.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:

Quote:
The article is nothing more than dishonest propaganda
, aimed at an audience that can be counted on not to read the linked material in detail or apply any critical thinking skills.

Could it be any more obvious? What a feeble attempt to smear the woman. Apparently though, it works on the feeble minded.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Where did you even get what you posted? This is about changing Constitutions to be more Sharia compliant.
Physician, heal thyself. Welcome to my ignore list. People who think that issuing vague platitudes interspersed with conspiracy theories and personal attacks are are a substitute for actual dialogue are old news and a waste of my time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-23-2010 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:

Can someone show me an actual statement from Kagan that supports this idea?

Because it is LUDICROUS.

Nothing in that article supports this idea. Breitbart? Really?

Study of other legal systems happens in law schools all the time. UNDERSTANDING something, even appreciating it for what it is, is not the same as agreeing with it or adopting it.

Part of the legal education process is playing devil's advocate and challenging traditional ideas of jurisprudence (then having to learn them again for the damn bar exam).
This thread is, as you say, LUDICROUS! She participated in some workshops that included international heads-of-state and judicial scholars from around the world. If the morons around here would learn to click on links -- especially those contained within their own sources -- they might actually LEARN something.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/...une%202009.pdf

"It is impossible to do justice to the richness of the contributions and the long and often animated discussions between the judges and scholars from the Near East and SoutheastAsia on the one hand and the American law professors and students on the other. Suffice it to say that the debates showed a distinct pluralism of positions not only in the debates about the constitutional judiciary and its tasks but also with regard to family law and personal status law. Different national experiences played a major role in the positions defended by the participating scholars and offered interesting perspectives."

OMG - perspectives? We can't have perspectives discussed! Oh the HUMANITY!!

Elana Kagan is an ORTHODOX JEW. She is the LAST person who would wish to see Shariah law infiltrate our own legal system.

Good grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies