Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 AM

387 posts, read 533,070 times

Advertisements

I've had countless amounts of professors that cursed and said offensive comments. And they were smarter than me. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
What does swearing have to do with intelligence? Are you confusing intelligence with being educated? Put restrictions on ourselves? You have the right to do that to yourself, I'll just decide not to go along with you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Seeing a young child speak that way says a lot about their parents.

I wonder what else they allow?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
The non-profit lost credibility with that advertisement. I know they are going after a certain audience, but they could have been smarter with the ad.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Did you catch the "c word" used by the 11 year old girl in the movie, "Kick Ass?" I posted about it a while back. No body seemed to care...

This is so disappointing. Free speech is one thing. Good taste and decency when bringing up kids is another.
She said a lot more than the "C-word" in that movie "Kick A-word". She also "killed" numerous people in various bloody and graphic scenes. Chloe Moretz is a wonderful actress. I'd also like to point out in an interview, there was a discussion of Halloween costumes and she said something along the lines of "If you put on the costume, no cursing, no killing and no repeating anything I say." That sounds decent, eh?

As for this charity advert: The whole point of using the F-bomb was to inspire discussion like this. I think they've done a good job, and I hope each kid has permission from his or her parent(s) to use the language for this instance.

T'would also like to point out, that people are pretty much free to use whatever language they want to out in public. However, with that freedom comes the responsibility to act in a decent manner. When people become so accustomed to cursing, it'll come back to bite them in the hindparts when they go for a job interview and "accidentally" drop one of the bombs.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
She said a lot more than the "C-word" in that movie "Kick A-word". She also "killed" numerous people in various bloody and graphic scenes. Chloe Moretz is a wonderful actress. I'd also like to point out in an interview, there was a discussion of Halloween costumes and she said something along the lines of "If you put on the costume, no cursing, no killing and no repeating anything I say." That sounds decent, eh?

As for this charity advert: The whole point of using the F-bomb was to inspire discussion like this. I think they've done a good job, and I hope each kid has permission from his or her parent(s) to use the language for this instance.

T'would also like to point out, that people are pretty much free to use whatever language they want to out in public. However, with that freedom comes the responsibility to act in a decent manner. When people become so accustomed to cursing, it'll come back to bite them in the hindparts when they go for a job interview and "accidentally" drop one of the bombs.
Sorry, but the fact that Chloe Moretz is a "wonderful actress" or that she made some statement in an interview very few people probably saw, does not make me think any better of that movie or the "adults" that made it and used that child and pandered to the rest of us. As for the the charity advert, I think the discussions actually detract from what they are trying to raise an awareness of. Emphasis is now on the use of improper means. JMHO

Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's just a word. We can judge it negatively, of course, but I would never suggest that ANY words should be banned or censored.
What about slurs? After all, they are just words too. Why the outrage and laws banning or making it a hate crime for the use of "f@g", "N#gger" "Sp#c" etc if they are just words?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
What about slurs? After all, they are just words too. Why the outrage and laws banning or making it a hate crime for the use of "f@g", "N#gger" "Sp#c" etc if they are just words?
Good point.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy888 View Post
exactly! me too.

words are only sounds waves.

bunch of bible thumping prudes in this thread
I'm not a bible thumper or a prude. I agree about words being just sound waves and don't thing there is ANY word that should be considered off limits or banned, included the racial slurs, but I DO CARE about them being used. Certain words tell me someone has no class or character and shouldn't be taken seriously by me. It makes me think less of them, and I will probably treat them accordingly. That's just the way it works. I will judge, and it's my right.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Sorry, but the fact that Chloe Moretz is a "wonderful actress" or that she made some statement in an interview very few people probably saw, does not make me think any better of that movie or the "adults" that made it and used that child and pandered to the rest of us. As for the the charity advert, I think the discussions actually detract from what they are trying to raise an awareness of. Emphasis is now on the use of improper means. JMHO
While you care greatly about the language and violence of the movie, neither my husband nor I cared in the slightest. They portrayed the part of Hit Girl perfectly - an innocent child who learned to kick a-word instead of playing with dolls. And... actually, the "adults that made it" merely adapted it from a comic book (as they've been doing a lot of). But that's neither here nor there.

As for the charity advert, the mere usage of foul language speaks for itself. To some, it's low class and preposterous to have minor children speaking such a way. To some, it could be construed as a powerful message.

Quote:
They are just words. "Sticks and stones", ya know? I don't agree with banning or having a shred of outrage over somebody using a word. If somebody wants to yell the N-word until blue in the face, who am I stop them?

Would I want to be around such a person? Absolutely not.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not a bible thumper or a prude. I agree about words being just sound waves and don't thing there is ANY word that should be considered off limits or banned, included the racial slurs, but I DO CARE about them being used. Certain words tell me someone has no class or character and shouldn't be taken seriously by me. It makes me think less of them, and I will probably treat them accordingly. That's just the way it works. I will judge, and it's my right.
I'm judging, too.

Mel Gibson's angry outburst is a fine example of the 'words' that can define a person as 'having issues' and more.

Once I visited a now defunct forum where there was no 'censorship'. I don't believe I have ever seen/heard 'F' and other similar terms used so freely. If I never heard or saw 'f' again that would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies