Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Racism and homophobia isn't a problem if you keep it within your house or you keep it to yourself. You can say whatever you want on your own free time. I believe people have the right to say racist and homophobic comments on their facebook pages without being penalized by their college or corporation. However, when you get out into the real world and you treat someone differently because of racist or homophobic beliefs then there will be a variety of other consequences for your attitudes (i.e., workplace shooting, sabotage, being harassed back, etc.) Institutional racism/institutional discrimination/paternal racism/cultural racism are the biggest problems not so much random individuals who tend to be racist or homophobic. Groupthink is a severe problem that often propogates institutional discrimination. If we eliminate or at least down-play group efforts then we will see less problems. Groups with power, money, influence, status, etc. are the ones who keep the problems alive. The discussion on racism, sexism, homophobia etc. is about resolving it and managing problems associated with it. It is also about hiring and training who appear to be the most qualified in any case. Training is vastly important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think that's pretty apparent from my travels. Most of the country suffers from racism. Many don't even know they are racist. I personally believe that until we solve this very deep social issue, all the other problems are secondary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Like this author, I wonder why racism is so much on our minds these days when most of us are more worried about jobs, the economy, the upcoming election and so many other topics. I believe that too many want to dominate the discussion and race works so well to deflect the conversation from important things.

Townhall - Star Parker - Why are we discussing racism? - Full Article
Why? Because America is inherently racist. I am constantly amazed at the hundreds of threads started on a daily basis, from people asking if it's ok to move to certain areas, because they are bi racial, in a inter-racial marriage or living arrangment or are black. It's 2010 and people in the US still worry if it's ok to live in certain areas based on their skin pigmentation? How backwards,

In my view having a Black president has brought out Americas inherent racism.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Why? Because America is inherently racist. I am constantly amazed at the hundreds of threads started on a daily basis, from people asking if it's ok to move to certain areas, because they are bi racial, in a inter-racial marriage or living arrangment or are black. It's 2010 and people in the US still worry if it's ok to live in certain areas based on their skin pigmentation? How backwards,

In my view having a Black president has brought out Americas inherent racism.
I'm multi racial and in an interracial marriage. I am fairly fearless and very open minded. BUT, I still confront the fears you mentioned. I agree that it is unacceptable in this day and age.

And I also agree that having a black (actually mixed) president has brought out America's inherent racism. Agree.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
A lot of peoples' paychecks depend on keeping "racism" alive where it doesn't exist.
Damn, that is so true. I was thinking more along the lines of people's paychecks depending on race itself though, so they keep the concept of race alive. But, you are correct in what you said, so correct.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
We truly are a f!cked up people sometimes, that really is my answer for a lot of things. Why do we do this? "Because we got issues." I was watching something on LiveLeak today and I was just like, "Wow, why do we do these things to one another?" So, why are we discussing racism so much? Because we got problems and we need to solve them.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Damn, that is so true. I was thinking more along the lines of people's paychecks depending on race itself though, so they keep the concept of race alive. But, you are correct in what you said, so correct.
And as someone pointed out is is as much a "white"peoples problem as it is a "colored" peoples problem. There are plenty of white folks on welfare.

I have major issues with welfare, no matter what race is part of it. But the fact is, whites, blacks, etc ad nauseum are all using it. The poor in this nation are of EVERY COLOR. I don't give a rats azz about your political stance with this issue. Poor is poor. And in our 1st rate western nation USA, poor is totally colorblind. Many people are having a rough time.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I would bet for the last 100 years there has been an average of 50 major books written every year on the subject of race ,ethnicity, and the condition of Black America.There have been symposiums the like National Negro Congress Since 1935, There are college degree programs, NPR and PBS documentaries, and a myriad of legislation dealing with black people since the colonial era. I guess what I am trying to say is that this is not a subject that has ever gone away and has suddenly reappeared.
Its like when someone sees Jesus Christ in their toast and everybody starts talking about religion but to some its a day in and day out pursuit.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Like this author, I wonder why racism is so much on our minds these days when most of us are more worried about jobs, the economy, the upcoming election and so many other topics. I believe that too many want to dominate the discussion and race works so well to deflect the conversation from important things.

Townhall - Star Parker - Why are we discussing racism? - Full Article
It is the canned retort of liberalism to any issue they do not agree with. The term has been so modified and over used that it no longer has any real meaning and simply means "anything that a liberal does not agree with".

Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Hey Moth,

Yes, people ARE denying that racism exists these days. Including you, based on your statements about this issue. The fact is, America is still a racist country. So racism is still very much a fact of life, for minorities. Racism is still a problem, that America needs to resolve.

As for you NomadScribe, you speak of the poor of all colors, on Welfare. I abolutely agree, that the poor come in all colors. And both racism and classism, need to be overcome in America. Poor whites, face issues of class discrimination. A poor black, faces both class, AND race discrimination. Racism and classism are really two separate issues. To give an example, blacks can be well off, and still experience racism, but don't experience classism, since they're affluent. For further information on how racism still affects successful blacks, I recommend that you read a book, entitled "The Rage Of A Successful Class", by Ellis Cose.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Because racism is as bad or even worse now than it has ever been, the election of Barack Obama not withstanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies