Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times

Advertisements

A restructuring of the taxes could be used that would lower tax burdens of the lower and middle classes and increase taxes on the top wage earners who are now strangling the economy.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...structure.html

Here's some food for thought. $46,075 is the break line for the "living assistance" level in Seattle. You can get government assistance if you make less than that.
News, Your salary is $46,075? You can't afford to live in Seattle.

Under the expanded program, developers whose projects receive City Council approval will get a 12-year property-tax break, which in recent years saved builders $2.7 million annually. The rest of the city's property owners mainly home and condo ownerswill have to make up for the loss in tax revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Lots of people that are upper middle to upper class consider themselves "middle class" For those of us who are really in the middle class to read that people making six figures think of themselves as part of the middle class, in a little unnerving.....it's just an observation that everyone in this country likes to think of themselves as middle class, including people that live in trailer parks that would be more accurately characterized as the working poor.

That said, in Seattle, I think 150 buys you a traditional middle class lifestyle. That people in other parts of the country can have if they are making 60K
I grew up eating what my dad could kill, most days of the week. I know what dumpster diving means, from first hand expericence. I've worn "double hand-me-downs" (Two brothers.) I was wearing clothes that were 8 years out of style. I got my shoes from the big "Shoe Bin" at the dollar store. I spent mucho time in that bin trying to find a match for a shoe that fit.

I think the last summer I had "off" was when I was 13. I don't recall working that year.

Does that make me poor? No. But it sure does give you a hell of a reference point when people say they are "poor." And I wasn't POOR. Poor people didn't have food sometimes, or ate hotdogs and mac and cheese as a LIFESTYLE and not as a "Hrmm, I'll have some mac and dogs tonight." choice. Poor people begged the church for food. Poor people didn't have electricity. Poor people got government cheese (OK we did, too. And I was on the free lunch program.) But I never thought of us as "poor." Poor people had no windows in their house, just cardboard over the busted window. They didn't have AC. They had box fans, etc.

Heh. defining poor.....can you, really?

Being Poor is relative to the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,406 times
Poor in this country is with two adults working full time, they cannot afford to pay for an appropriate apartment and utilities, buy groceries; pay for transportation to and from work, and enough left over for living expenses (including contraception) and a small amount of savings. One kid at most: children are the most expensive luxury item you can buy in this society and are not an investment.

Rich is when you do not have to work at all, but you have all your necessities of life paid for (home and car) and enough passive income (minus taxes) that you can break even without working, or draw down your assets so that they will last for your expected life expectancy (including health care and potential nursing home care).

As you can see, people who play the public dole game successfully are RICH as far as I'm concerned.

Middle Class is the group that works full time and pays for everyone else, rich and poor, while retaining about 1% of their earnings for themselves.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,542,321 times
Middle class is everyone who makes more than $15,000 and less than $500,000...

From $500,000-$1,000,000 you're slightly upper-middle class.

If you can afford a TV, cell phone, or car you are obviously not poor, so any one who is poor will not have these possessions.

That's what I've learnt from reading City Data threads.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,837,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
A restructuring of the taxes could be used that would lower tax burdens of the lower and middle classes and increase taxes on the top wage earners who are now strangling the economy.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...structure.html

Here's some food for thought. $46,075 is the break line for the "living assistance" level in Seattle. You can get government assistance if you make less than that.
News, Your salary is $46,075? You can't afford to live in Seattle.

Under the expanded program, developers whose projects receive City Council approval will get a 12-year property-tax break, which in recent years saved builders $2.7 million annually. The rest of the city's property owners mainly home and condo ownerswill have to make up for the loss in tax revenue.

I grew up eating what my dad could kill, most days of the week. I know what dumpster diving means, from first hand expericence. I've worn "double hand-me-downs" (Two brothers.) I was wearing clothes that were 8 years out of style. I got my shoes from the big "Shoe Bin" at the dollar store. I spent mucho time in that bin trying to find a match for a shoe that fit.

I think the last summer I had "off" was when I was 13. I don't recall working that year.

Does that make me poor? No. But it sure does give you a hell of a reference point when people say they are "poor." And I wasn't POOR. Poor people didn't have food sometimes, or ate hotdogs and mac and cheese as a LIFESTYLE and not as a "Hrmm, I'll have some mac and dogs tonight." choice. Poor people begged the church for food. Poor people didn't have electricity. Poor people got government cheese (OK we did, too. And I was on the free lunch program.) But I never thought of us as "poor." Poor people had no windows in their house, just cardboard over the busted window. They didn't have AC. They had box fans, etc.

Heh. defining poor.....can you, really?

Being Poor is relative to the situation.
You= poor
Me= middle class
Warren Buffett= upper class
that was easy!

Last edited by Chango; 07-27-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,372 times
Poor =The Grapes of Wrath

Middle Class= Freash Prince of Belair

Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Middle class is everyone who makes more than $15,000 and less than $500,000...

From $500,000-$1,000,000 you're slightly upper-middle class.

If you can afford a TV, cell phone, or car you are obviously not poor, so any one who is poor will not have these possessions.

That's what I've learnt from reading City Data threads.

There are no poor no America, other than maybe the Appalacian Mountains comes close .

Poor is never fat ! Or without a slop bucket or window to throw it out .

I grew up in ga. and we had a outhouse and drew water from bucket when the power went off but we were not poor . We were strong and healthy though .

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,264 times
Poor = owning a non running "Joadmobile" (from grapes of wrath)
Middle class= being able to pay to have the vehicle repaired
Rich = selling that puppy on ebay for ten grand

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,417,007 times
Works for nearly everyone:

middle class--about as much paycheck and stuff as I have.

poor--anything less than that.

rich--anything more than that.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,444 times
Poor : those who struggle to meet their need for food, clothing and shelter, as well as transportation, acess to sanitrary necessities, etc.

Lower middle class, those who, through work, can provide for the above necessities, and perhaps even own modest property, but who can also sink into poverty in the event of accident, illness or job loss.

middle class, those who have been able to save enough to secure some measure of financial security through hard work but who can also be left bankrupt through accident, injury or job loss.

upper middle class, those who have high enough paying jobs that their life includes considerable luxuries (vacations, luxury vehicles, easy access to higher education, modern adult "toys"), as well as large and very nicely appointed homes, etc. If their jobs come with excellent health and life insurance packages, and such "upper end" jobs do, they will have quite a secure future, unless they spend very unwisely.

Wealthy or Rich. . .those who actually have more money than is necessary to live a luxurious lifestyle.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,463,342 times
Sad thing is, those that have luxuries, fancy cars, Mansions, boats, Planes, vacation homes, fanciest of clothes, still cannot live and be completely happy. And those marriages cannot buy them happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies