Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times

Advertisements

The party of "no" has again blocked a bill with the sole intention of denying the democrats a win before the midterms. The reason given was that the dems refused to add several "relative" amendments to the bill. Examples of the "relative" amendments included the estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, border security and the expiring Bush tax cuts.

The bill would have created a $30 billion lending program within the Treasury Department, to be administered through local banks. It would also provide more than $12 billion in tax breaks, and would expand or enhance existing lending programs. It's laughable that the republicans advertise themselves as the party that supports small businesses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/us...gewanted=print
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Indeed. It is now clear Republicans are deliberately trying to make the economy worse believing that will improve their odds in the next election. I really miss the days when country came before party.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
The Republicans (along with their representatives on this board) are intentionally attempting to delay an economic recovery for the most cynical of political purposes. They are already celebrating the anemic 2nd quarter growth numbers this morning. They have been so terrified of a successful rebound before November that they have actually taken steps to prevent it.

I gotta tell you, I originally left the Republican Party because of its intolerance. I never dreamed though that it would ever sink so low as to actively contribute to the suffering of the American people because they found it politically advantageous.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Here we go again.

And yet the Dems have gotten everything they've wanted passed PASSED.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The Right Wing is desperately trying to resume their control over our politics and economy so they can return to the looting of the middle and working classes they have done since Ronnie Raygun. They planned to run up the war deficit to extraordinary levels to prevent any new spending on anything else but the war industries they own. They are, and will always be, run by their need for social status and unlimited greed.

Hopefully the smaller scale businessmen can join with the working and middle class to keep these people from gaining power ever again.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Indeed. It is now clear Republicans are deliberately trying to make the economy worse believing that will improve their odds in the next election. I really miss the days when country came before party.
This is exactly my thought. There will be no more unemployment benefit extensions after the Nov. election, which will cause millions of Americans to be even worse off, send people to the streets, and cut all that money that's now flowing directly into the economy, essentially guaranteeing a double dip recession. The Republicans care not one bit about America or average Americans! Their goal is to finish running the economy into the ground, destroying the middle class, and then try to blame Obama for it and regain power, re-implementing the policies that destroyed the economy in the first place. Unfortunately, there are enough Americans out there dumb enough to buy the Republican lies and vote against their own well being. I suppose if you're a heartless millionaire, you must love living in the USA.

How do I get into Canada now?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here we go again.

And yet the Dems have gotten everything they've wanted passed PASSED.
Oh? Then what happened here? Exactly?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Right Wing is desperately trying to resume their control over our politics and economy so they can return to the looting of the middle and working classes they have done since Ronnie Raygun. They planned to run up the war deficit to extraordinary levels to prevent any new spending on anything else but the war industries they own. They are, and will always be, run by their need for social status and unlimited greed.

Hopefully the smaller scale businessmen can join with the working and middle class to keep these people from gaining power ever again.
That has been going on for a few years under a Dem Congress.
Do you not see they are one in the same ?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That has been going on for a few years under a Dem Congress.
Do you not see they are one in the same ?
Based on who is trying to get stuff done and who is obstructing, no.

I do not see them as one and the same.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The party of "no" has again blocked a bill with the sole intention of denying the democrats a win before the midterms. The reason given was that the dems refused to add several "relative" amendments to the bill. Examples of the "relative" amendments included the estate tax, nuclear loan guarantees, border security and the expiring Bush tax cuts.

The bill would have created a $30 billion lending program within the Treasury Department, to be administered through local banks. It would also provide more than $12 billion in tax breaks, and would expand or enhance existing lending programs. It's laughable that the republicans advertise themselves as the party that supports small businesses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/us...gewanted=print

Geez! I would also vote NO! I give accolades to those politicians, whatever party, who will stand up and vote NO against very bad legislation that bodes very ill for our country. Quit the spin crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies