Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times

Advertisements

I can see a difference in myself.
I can remember walking out of "A Clockwork Orange" lo those many decades ago.
I watched it the other day and what was ultra-violent then is commonplace today.
It's unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARGE View Post
So called "rappers" that laugh and sing about "bustin a cap in a policeman's head" in their filth that passes as pop-culture "music". Said "music" which is then spoon fed to children in prime-time and glorified as a pathway to fame, fortune, and social acceptance.

Need I continue?
Are you sure that rappers are not a product that comes because of the culture of violence? We had violence and murder before rap, so maybe rap came because of the violence.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You just described it.
I live overseas a lot of the time.
I always feel more safe, no matter where I live, than when I live in America.
It is a very violent country.
We have more people incarcerated than any other industrialized nation.
Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r188.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/wo...3738.html?_r=1

Some countries have crime against possessions or property; the US has crime against people.
We're number 1 (hey, we're no. 1) U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations
The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Funny, the white collar criminals that affect us most, do little or no time and if they do end in prison it's a country club type.
Which provesw what? We don't even know the nuber of murders i such places as mexico ;just to our south. In many south amreican cultures go rape a girl and get roasted with gasoline by the neighbors. In many cultures the consequeneces is sure and swift. There are many more societies where violenece is called justice really.I suggest you even look at what prison conditions means in mnay countires in whch you would pay for protection as one of means.Maybe out priso numbers actaully reflect the lack of fear of prison more tha anyhting else or even justice itself.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Which provesw what? We don't even know the nuber of murders i such places as mexico ;just to our south. In many south amreican cultures go rape a girl and get roasted with gasoline by teh neighbors. In many cultures the consequeneces is sure and swift. There are mnay more societies where violenece is called justice really.
Yeah, it's easy to say that you're better than the lowest common denominator.
What a ridiculous comparison.
I'm always sorry when I click on one of your posts.
I've learned my lesson for the last time.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:35 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Are you sure that rappers are not a product that comes because of the culture of violence? We had violence and murder before rap, so maybe rap came because of the violence.
This garbage culture developed on it's own, there is nothing before it that even compares and it is an extremely dangerous influence to all kids today. It should be owtlawed!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
This garbage culture developed on it's own, there is nothing before it that even compares and it is an extremely dangerous influence to all kids today. It should be owtlawed!
Outlaw music? Really?
There's a lot of music out there that I don't like, so I don't listen to it.
I have control.

Violence in America is nothing new.
Murders of the Native Americans; hanging black men for looking in the wrong direction; union breakers, turn of the century gangs in NYC and other metropolitan areas, etc...
The weapons are different, but violence (accompanied by fear and hatred) is the thread that holds the US together.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM

13,653 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Outlaw music? Really?
There's a lot of music out there that I don't like, so I don't listen to it.
I have control.

Violence in America is nothing new.
Murders of the Native Americans; hanging black men for looking in the wrong direction; union breakers, turn of the century gangs in NYC and other metropolitan areas, etc...
The weapons are different, but violence (accompanied by fear and hatred) is the thread that holds the US together.
Much of those horrid acts and worse were committed by the very cultures you imply are superior.

For instance, slavery was brought to the then New World by the English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. Or consider that while hanging a black man was certainly wrong, at the same time Germany was soon to be committing genocide via mechanized means on an industrial scale. Fast forward to the early 1990s and a reformed Germany was committing race attacks at a level that may have superceded the old South. And simultaneously, Serbs and Croats were taking great joy in executing hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims.

Union Breakers? Hardly restricted to America. Gangs? Ever hear of the National Front, Soccer Hooligans, Skinheads, or the aforementioned racist thugs? Eastern Europe and a not a few areas of Western Europe are no strangers to criminal gangs as well as the Mafia.

And that is just Europe. Should we test your theory in Cambodia, Mexico, Zimbabwe, or Pakistan?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Much of those horrid acts and worse were committed by the very cultures you imply are superior.
I implied nothing of the sort. I don't think anyone is superior to anyone else. I challenge you to find any comment of mine where I've stated that anyone is superior.

For instance, slavery was brought to the then New World by the English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese. Or consider that while hanging a black man was certainly wrong, at the same time Germany was soon to be committing genocide via mechanized means on an industrial scale. Fast forward to the early 1990s and a reformed Germany was committing race attacks at a level that may have superceded the old South. And simultaneously, Serbs and Croats were taking great joy in executing hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims.
We're discussing inside of the US. If you choose to compare yourself to the least common denominator, have at it.

Union Breakers? Hardly restricted to America. Gangs? Ever hear of the National Front, Soccer Hooligans, Skinheads, or the aforementioned racist thugs? Eastern Europe and a not a few areas of Western Europe are no strangers to criminal gangs as well as the Mafia.
My comments are all about America; I thought the topic of this thread was the violent culture of the US. Violence is a big part of our culture. Are you denying that?

And that is just Europe. Should we test your theory in Cambodia, Mexico, Zimbabwe, or Pakistan? What theory?
I'm clueless about what other countries have to do with the culture of violence in America.
It would be nice if you could stick to the topic or start a thread with your choice of topics.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Default Exodus begins as culture of violence exposed in the US

Why do people from alien shores want so badly to come live in this 'culture of violence'?

Perhaps that term is meant to be sensational in a marketing sense to promote news specials, sell newsprint and deride the country?

To hold up the US as the center of excellence for violence is to ignore the institutionalized beheadings, stonings, machete murders, children recruited to kill other children and women, kidnappings, accidental kerosene stove dowry murders, religous and ethnic cleansing currently sanctioned in cultures all over this fine world.

These same nations which burned witches and initiated a worlwide slave trade get a free pass when 'historical perspective' is leveled at the beginnings of a nation who took or purchased stolen land from the English, Dutch, Spanish and French. A birth can be quite messy.

Want to express your outrage at historical crime and see a current 'culture of violence'? You should be picketing the Spanish embassy in many South/Central American countries, especially Mexico. Maybe not if you value your life.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 AM

In the industrialized world, we are the most violent.
Care to refute this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies