Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

What are people that already have a phone suspose to do if they lose their job and quilify for fs. Sell it for (7$)? Or just not use it in public (which I could go for) just to satisfy judgemental people.

And OMG, I saw a woman using WIC and she had a cell phone. And did you notice the people in that pic were, well a little over weight. They dont really look like their hungry.

I get what your saying tho. I think it is a automatic initial reaction when we see someone using assistance. Like the big stink about the photo of Ms. Obama working in the soup kitchen for the homeless showing homeless people taking pics of her on their blackberries. We need to step back and not make assumptions and sterotype everyone needing a little help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I'm eligible for a free cell phone and food stamps on the basis of my blindness. I certainly hope that if I used either, people wouldn't judge me. Though I can't know for sure these days. Some people seem to think that getting any sort of help is a sign of weakness.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
My husband and I seen a women that works for the post office, using an I phone and driving a new car using food stamps.

That is the day that he got upset with our system.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm eligible for a free cell phone and food stamps on the basis of my blindness. I certainly hope that if I used either, people wouldn't judge me. Though I can't know for sure these days. Some people seem to think that getting any sort of help is a sign of weakness.
I dont know anyone that doesnt want to help those in need or those with a disability. Sad thing is though now being a drunk is considered a disability.

The problem people have is people being dependent on them and able body people. ALso those that abuse the system.

Like a women that gets food stamps but living with the father of her children but gets food stamps, Free daycare, free cell phone.

I know a couple that wont get married just because of that. He earns very good pay, She works for min wage to be able to get food stamps and all that.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default No..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
You get City-Data in Brail? Just kidding.

I don't think that will happen to you, in cases where it is not flagrant, it would not raise eyebrows. However, some situations do.

I live in a city where I've seen people pay for huge birthday cake with stamps. I choose my meats based on price often times, but don't like when I am behind a person buying filet mignon with stamps. I don't like it when I see two guys buy a basket full of groceries, and then pull out a solid $100 bill to pay for beer, so call me judgemental.

Now is a good time to be down; the Obama Administration is mulling over the idea of forgiving a portion of mortgage debt for those who owe more than the house is worth.... if the mortgage is owned by Freddie, or Fannie. Wow.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-05-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
My feeling technique would not change, but I probably should trim my nails.

I guess Cable TV, or Satellite a necessity too these days? 'Don't want people to get bored when they are not working, oh no. How insensitive that would be!
Who's talking about cable TV? The woman has a phone and you're thinking it means she's scamming the system somehow. Phones are a necessity these days.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The woman has a phone and you're thinking it means she's scamming the system somehow. Phones are a necessity these days.
Besides, let's be honest: the phone isn't edible, so she probably wouldn't have used food stamps to buy it!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Who's talking about cable TV? The woman has a phone and you're thinking it means she's scamming the system somehow. Phones are a necessity these days.
Sorry Marlow, I never accused anyone of anything. If you think I did, it was an inference on your part. It does raise eyebrows, just like when someone pulls into a Handicapped spot, and runs into the store. Same thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Lifeline phone service has been available as long as I can remember. That the technology has changed doesn't mean anything except that the technology has changed. "obamaphones' my ass, just more ignorance if you ask me.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
My husband and I seen a women that works for the post office, using an I phone and driving a new car using food stamps.

That is the day that he got upset with our system.
If you saw her using an EBT card, she could have been using child support or spousal maintenance instead of food stamps. EBT is not just for food stamps; any cash that is distributed through certain government entities is loaded onto EBT cards now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies