Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Social Conservatives; would you consider voting Democrat if the party was pro-life and anti-gay marr
Yes, I would consider voting Democrat if they were pro-life and anti-gay marriage 6 16.22%
No, I would still not consider voting Democrat 28 75.68%
Other 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,810 times

Advertisements

I dont understand the abortion topic. In my eyes the conservatives should be for abortion and liberals should be against abortion. The conservatives dont want to take care of someone else's baby if you cant pay for your baby you shouldnt have it. The liberals should be caring thinking about the unborn life and that we need to help those in need. I just dont understand how everything is opposite when it comes to abortion. For me I am pro abortion I believe the government needs to offer abortions for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 AM

301 posts, read 404,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I wouldn't, but I'm a fiscal conservative as well as a social conservative.

Moreover the problem is even if one Democrat is conservative most (especially those running the party nation and statewide parties as well as those elected to national and state offices) are not. As we have seen on the health care vote and stimulus votes those who may proclaim themselves to be conservative Democrats either aren't or lack the backbone necessary to take a stand against the majority of their party.
Can you be a little bit more specific? Because I remember quite the opposite. When it was crunch time, the social conservative democrats prevented the bill from including federal funding for abortions. Sounds like backbone to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdxX...layer_embedded

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I dont understand the abortion topic. In my eyes the conservatives should be for abortion and liberals should be against abortion. The conservatives dont want to take care of someone else's baby if you cant pay for your baby you shouldnt have it. The liberals should be caring thinking about the unborn life and that we need to help those in need. I just dont understand how everything is opposite when it comes to abortion. For me I am pro abortion I believe the government needs to offer abortions for free.
See I vote democrat and you represent the part of the democratic party that I don't agree with.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Once in DC, bandwagon politics overrules individual thinking.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
I'm surprised somebody from Austin, Texas would admit that. Austin is The Capitol of bandwagon politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Once in DC, bandwagon politics overrules individual thinking.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Can you be a little bit more specific? Because I remember quite the opposite. When it was crunch time, the social conservative democrats prevented the bill from including federal funding for abortions. Sounds like backbone to me.

YouTube - ‪Driehaus: "I'm a pro-life Democrat."‬‎
yep, and those conservative democrats that held off voting for the health care bill until provisions for government funded abortions were removed, got snookered big time. there are already two states that are getting federal funds for abortions under the new health care law.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, and those conservative democrats that held off voting for the health care bill until provisions for government funded abortions were removed, got snookered big time. there are already two states that are getting federal funds for abortions under the new health care law.
Thats too bad, could you provide me with where you heard/read that? I'd like to read into that more if I could.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM

43 posts, read 76,880 times
We are way too worried about the social issues right now. Without fiscal responsibility, nothing else will matter. In a worst case scenario, if a nation collapses, there is anarchy. Any laws, for or against the issues near and dear to you are suddenly meaningless.

Although it isn't direct to the questions posed, I am a registered Republican, and I wouldn't hesitate to vote for a true fiscal Democrat. Once we get the house in order, then we can debate the social issues.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Thats too bad, could you provide me with where you heard/read that? I'd like to read into that more if I could.
google is your friend

CNSNews.com - Maryland Becomes Second State to Offer Federally Funded Abortions under Obamacare (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/69559 - broken link)
http://www.usccb.org/healthcare/Abor...aw-4-12-10.pdf

Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM

507 posts, read 879,361 times
Quote:
Well I'm more trying to gauge how many "Republicans" vote that way because they get hung up the abortion issue.

Anyone who votes Repub because of pro-life views is a fool.
I am pro-life, they had TOTAL control of the Congress and Executive with the Supreme Court an arm of the RNC for 6 long years,and NEVER EVEN BROUGHT THE SUBJECT UP.

I hear the Sen. majority leader at the time say "we never will" .
Repubs will NEVER lose a prime vote getter by banning abortion, not now, not ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies