Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Hopefully the SCOTUS will strike Obamacare down as being unconstitutional, as the idea of the feds forcing Americans to buy a private service seems blatantly unconstitutional.

OTOH single payer - which Obama opposed - would have freed up small businesses from the burden of healthcare costs and allowed them to be competitive ; there's a reason why so many US businesses have relocated to Canada and why Canada is doing much better than the US.
Canada rocks, i just put an addition on a home, all the lumber was from Canada, all the trim was from Chile.American trees are for forest fires these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I would think hiring decisions would be made on the basis of demand for your product

That USED to be true. But as the government regulations, taxes, insurance cost, both workers comp and liability based on your product, license fees, property taxes to every firehouse, ambulance, police, school, city, and every one else wanting a free ride on the backs of tax payers, you can not hire someone if the $ they bring in is not 3x what you put out for them including the benefits they have thru insurances. Too open a business today, you must be either really successful in the appeared profit margin, and able to have high production, or you will fail. The day of "I'm starting a new business today" are gone. Far too many legal nonsense issuses. Thanks to both political parties selling us out to the fractional bankers, and their far over taxation. I hear Brazil lowered their business taxes a few years ago, and now they are the fastest growing economy in the world. hmmmmm.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
That USED to be true. But as the government regulations, taxes, insurance cost, both workers comp and liability based on your product, license fees, property taxes to every firehouse, ambulance, police, school, city, and every one else wanting a free ride on the backs of tax payers, you can not hire someone if the $ they bring in is not 3x what you put out for them including the benefits they have thru insurances. Too open a business today, you must be either really successful in the appeared profit margin, and able to have high production, or you will fail. The day of "I'm starting a new business today" are gone. Far too many legal nonsense issuses. Thanks to both political parties selling us out to the fractional bankers, and their far over taxation. I hear Brazil lowered their business taxes a few years ago, and now they are the fastest growing economy in the world. hmmmmm.
So true.just look around and see what is successful and copy it as the American Indians used to study the survival of animals.I see following democrat voters and public service unions as the way to survive, but i cant go there i want to be a puma not a scavenger on others sucess

Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
I bet he's hiring illegal aliens instead of US citizens in order to avoid those costs.....

Yes, salespeople, engineers, and marketers are just flooding across the border constantly.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
nah the Illegal alien crap just started it. most us Americans work off the book now or are independent contractors now.just like buying tobacco without paying the 2000% obama tax. we get around all that crap Americans are pretty slick at avoiding opression except the ones that depend on the gov cause they are to scared someone else wont pay for their living. what a way to live. trade your beliefs for 30 pieces of silver

Ironic, isn't it? In an effort to grab more tax revenue, they're creating a vibrant underground economy that bypasses tax altogether.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Michael P. Fleischer: Why I'm Not Hiring - WSJ.com

Oh, most definitely in obama's universe, where business is bad, evil and greedy.

He has accomplished what no other president before has done - attack and target business for his draconian, radical ideas - the very entities he NEEDS to save his sorry butt.
Someone else has said several times on this forum,"poor people do not hire".
The very people that hire (rich or poor) are being labeled as bad. Why on earth would they want to help a group that does nothing but punish them?
Way to go Obama, you have managed to bite the hand that feeds you and nearly killed it. If you leave it to die then all will follow.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Michael P. Fleischer: Why I'm Not Hiring - WSJ.com

Oh, most definitely in obama's universe, where business is bad, evil and greedy.

He has accomplished what no other president before has done - attack and target business for his draconian, radical ideas - the very entities he NEEDS to save his sorry butt.
I guess that is more like lobby work rather than reality. If he had more work than his existing employees can handle, he would simply HAVE to hire, if he wanted to or not.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I bet he's hiring illegal aliens instead of US citizens in order to avoid those costs.....
What gave you that impression, the fact that he's paying "sally" $59K a year and $15K a year goes to taxes?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess that is more like lobby work rather than reality. If he had more work than his existing employees can handle, he would simply HAVE to hire, if he wanted to or not.
Not so. When the cost to increase payroll becomes more than the benefits of hiring then its to his benefit to turn work away. His other alternative is to build a 2nd company to do the exact same work and divide the work among them. I worked for one company that did this..

This isnt rocket science people..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
I just love anecdotes being passed around as facts.

Here's a simple fact. The number of hours worked per week in 34.1 hours, a 2% lower than December of 2007 when the recession began. Companies aren't hiring because they don't have enough demand to even increase the hours of work for their current employees. This is micro econ 100.

They can do all the self-serving pointing at mythological boogie men in government to their hearts content. Until, people increase the demand for goods and services the demand for labor will remain low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies