Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

Yes, it all started with Reagan. Yes, it did.........

"How my G.O.P. destroyed the U.S. economy." Yes, that is exactly what David Stockman, President Ronald Reagan's director of the Office of Management and Budget, wrote in a recent New York Times op-ed piece, "Four Deformations of the Apocalypse."

Get it? Not "destroying." The GOP has already "destroyed" the U.S. economy, setting up an "American Apocalypse."

Reagan insider: GOP destroyed economy Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Well, it wasn't all his fault but he did accelerate the structural problems. I might buy off that he made a few new ones too.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
That was the goal of the Republican policies since Nixon. Create an economy of the haves and the have not’s in order to cement the class differences in the society. The hyper wealthy can make money at any time but recession can destroy the finances of the poor and working class and speculation is even more effective.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, it all started with Reagan. Yes, it did...
Either Stockman developed a guilty conscience (which, for some reason, I tend to doubt) or he got paid handsomely to write that article. Reagan left office in January, 1989 and this article appears merely 21-1/2 years later. Wonderful.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
While I understand his message in "part 1," I personally think going off the gold standard was the right thing to do for a variety of reasons, so I will disagree with him there. The rest I can agree with the overall picture (maybe not all the details).

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

783 posts, read 815,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That was the goal of the Republican policies since Nixon. Create an economy of the haves and the have not’s in order to cement the class differences in the society. The hyper wealthy can make money at any time but recession can destroy the finances of the poor and working class and speculation is even more effective.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
I Agree it is supply side ideologhy borrow money to finance regressive tax cuts for the rich even if such regressivly unbalanced tax cuts leads to greatly increased debt.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, it all started with Reagan. Yes, it did.........

"How my G.O.P. destroyed the U.S. economy." Yes, that is exactly what David Stockman, President Ronald Reagan's director of the Office of Management and Budget, wrote in a recent New York Times op-ed piece, "Four Deformations of the Apocalypse."

Get it? Not "destroying." The GOP has already "destroyed" the U.S. economy, setting up an "American Apocalypse."

Reagan insider: GOP destroyed economy Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch
This thread is hilarious as you are obviously a lefty. The truth is both parties have EQUALLY destroyed the economy. The GOP has destroyed it with their endless wars, and the dems with their endless taxes and entitlement programs. It is seriously time for a 3rd party, and one that takes the limited good out of BOTH parties and combines them.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I well remember Stockman, one of the young 'whiz kids'; of his getting into trouble with President Reagan (after some interview with a magazine) and then resigning after a few years. I guess he is trying to write his place in history.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
True enough, Reagan created "Big Government"... a tenant against the Republican voters but for some odd reason, it resounded with the public and historians... now fast forward to where we are today... if Nixon created the spending binge, Reagan created the big government, the liberals nowadays are repeating the mistakes of the past with bigger government and increasing spending binges... Nixon started the political culture of Corporatism (the very same thing liberals often confuse with "Capitalism") and fast forward to today and the liberals bathe themselves in it while railing against it (ironic isn't it?)... so what have the liberals done to stop Big Government and Overspending? Nothing..... its ironic that now Republicans are the ones to rail against Big Government and Overspending... so who is actually going to fix it? The democrats who continue to promote it? Or the Republicans who finally recognized it and are trying to DO SOMETHING about it... its really ironic... that a liberal posts a thread about the problems of overspending and big government at the same time the liberal politicians are promoting it.... did the OP realize the ONLY politicians trying to fix big government and overspending are the Republican politicians and Tea Party candidates... really ironic...

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Oct 20, 2000 ... "This is an impressive crowd - the haves and the have-mores. "Some people call you the elites; I call you my base."...George Bush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies