Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times

Advertisements

So far, I haven't seen any democrats creating another tier in the tax bracket for 1 million+ income... so who exactly are they trying to protect? Tax the rich? or Tax the not-rich? 250k a year is NOT rich to get there you have bigger bills to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The problem with that analysis is that it results from backwards budgeting. Ordinary people look at their income and figure out what they can spend. Politicians, particularly liberals, decide what they want to spend and then scramble to come up with the revenue to pay for it. In this case if there is a 36 billion budget gap it is not because the government has too little revenue. It is because they are spending too much. But then again this logic is lost on most liberals.
I don't think this logic is just lost on liberals. Didn't a GOP
majority Congress rack up a deficit because of two war conflicts without any regard of how to fund them, except by borrowing, and weren't those spending bills signed by a Republican President

If we had a balanced budget amendment, both parties
would be kept in check

Yes, ordinary folks look at their income and spend accordingly. But sometimes folks spend more than they
can afford e.g. McMansions on middle class wages.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So far, I haven't seen any democrats creating another tier in the tax bracket for 1 million+ income... so who exactly are they trying to protect? Tax the rich? or Tax the not-rich? 250k a year is NOT rich to get there you have bigger bills to pay...
I am assuming you actually have the facts (as in real numbers) to back up your claims. Let it show.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
They could triple that $36 B and it would be pure hypocrisy for any democrat to so much as mention it after what the dems have done.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If we had a balanced budget amendment, both parties would be kept in check
Yep. Democrats won't generally agree to it, to carry on with sometimes ridiculous spending. Republicans hate it because then they will have to show that their political basis (no, not evangelicalism, the other kind of their preaching... tax cuts) is not what they advertise to get their sheeple in awe.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,647 times
Time for the free ride to come to an end for the middle class and below.

As a six figure professional, I'm sick of floating the taxes for 50% of this countrys populous. Pay up...shut up....and get back to work.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
Republicans only mantra in the financial picture is "Cut Spending!" But when you back a republican into a corner and pin them down to "where" exactly would you cut spending, it always comes down to Health care, Social Security, welfare, etc. Never the military or subsidies for agrabusiness and oil cos. So ultimately, when their spending cuts are distilled down to the essence, it is a cut to the government programs that benefit the poor and middle class the most. Sounds like the old republican shell game to me and deja vu all over again. If we believe the republican plan, then the richest will maintain their low tax rate while the rest of us will have additional financial sacrifices in the form of decreased benefits and entitlements. A dollar lost is a dollar lost be it a higher tax rate or a cut in entitlements. In the end it is all political posturing as the most voter mileage attained is by repeating the tired old phrase of "No new taxes and cut spending". In reality it is one more knife in the back of the middle and lower class by republican politicians.

I feel that all the tax cuts should be allowed to expire. We as a nation, all of us, helped create this mess. We as a nation should lend a hand and share the pain involved in repairing this financial mess, for our's and our children's sake. Bottom line, we need to cut government spending including the military and let the tax cuts expire. All of them.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,448,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post

As a six figure professional, I'm sick of floating the taxes for 50% of this countrys populous. Pay up...shut up....and get back to work.
What on earth are you talking about? Have you bothered to look at the graphic I posted above? You, as a supposed "six figure professional" aren't affected any differently by the Democrats' tax plan versus the Republicans' tax plan. It's the seven figure income earners where the utterly, ridiculously enormous disparity comes into play between the two plans. There is no reason for that that can be justified.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,647 times

As a six figure professional, I'm sick of floating the taxes for 50% of this countrys populous.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post

Six figure (unless past quarter million mark) is still middle class. So, you fit the profile of those you accuse of leaching the American system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies