Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
she didn't make any racist comments in that exchange.
I actually agree in this case. I read the transcript and her use of the N-word seemed perfectly within context for the conversation she was having. I am no fan of Dr. Laura's, however, she is right in this instance - it is pervasive in the black community, particularly among young people, and it is not racism to note that, just a simple observation.
It is a double-standard for some in the black community to say that the word has no power when some silly gangsta wanna-be uses it but somehow has power when it is used in conversation to demonstrate a point, as was done in this instance. You don't like hearing it, don't use it. Period, end of story.

Personally, I don't think she had anything to apologize for.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
While I would condemn Dr. L for her hypocracy about women who work while she is a working mom, there is nothing here to condemn. Whoever said she was using the term "demonstrably" was absolutely correct. I think it all boils down to "context, context, context". I also think she should not have apologized because she didn't do anything wrong.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
She has nothing to apologize for. She didn't call anyone an n-word she used it in reference to what other say. The caller tried to paint her as a racist and that is shameful.

This is just another case of ultra-sensitive, excuse making liberals trying to smear a conservative and they fall flat on their faces.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I actually agree in this case. I read the transcript and her use of the N-word seemed perfectly within context for the conversation she was having. I am no fan of Dr. Laura's, however, she is right in this instance - it is pervasive in the black community, particularly among young people, and it is not racism to note that, just a simple observation.
It is a double-standard for some in the black community to say that the word has no power when some silly gangsta wanna-be uses it but somehow has power when it is used in conversation to demonstrate a point, as was done in this instance. You don't like hearing it, don't use it. Period, end of story.

Personally, I don't think she had anything to apologize for.

If anything, if I were the producer of her radio show I'd be ripping into her off-air about it. I think she set herself up to be criticized. Maybe she was trying to make a statement about political correctness...I don't know.

But really..she should not be criticized for use of the word.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
she didn't make any racist comments in that exchange.
Oh really? the caller calls in and laments that her neighbors are making all kinds of racial questions to her. so this "fake doctor" rubs it in by using the "N" word not once but multiple times. she's a white witch.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Oh really? the caller calls in and laments that her neighbors are making all kinds of racial questions to her. so this "fake doctor" rubs it in by using the "N" word not once but multiple times. she's a white witch.
Having a hard time grasping basic English are we?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
I don't like Laura, but she was spot on in this conversation... There was nothing racist about that exchange...
Read it again, S L O W L Y and learn, Laura is absolutely correct in everything she said...
The OP is Just another example of people playing the race card.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
If a white person asks "How do Black people do X?" or "How do Black people view X?".......do you consider those questions to be racially motivated? Are there not enoughh differences to lead us to believe that there could indeed be a different outlook or process for the different cultures?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
Quote:
She was asked questions in an attempt to understand the african american veiwpoint. I did not take the questions as racist, "what do blacks think of...?" how is that racist? They wanted to understand. And Dr. Laura said she sees it all the time on HBO and such. It is true, you do see it all the time there. Although I guess since we "whiteys" have our own code, it does not matter what we say does it. God I am so tired of people screaming racism about everything. That includes whites/blacks/mexicans/aliens/martians/plutonians etc... . Get a grip people, the second we all decide to live in harmony this world will become a much better place.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Having a hard time grasping basic English are we?
only if you can't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies