Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
What I want to know is why the POTUS felt obligated to take a side on the matter to begin with. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

I think it's a slap in the face to those who died on 9/11.

I also think the developers of the project are hell bent and determined to build their mosque there, just "because they can" and have no regard to the people who perished there.

My heart aches for America.
The Dhimmi-in-Chief has bowed to Islam and has spoken.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Most of the people in this thread have never left their little county, let alone their state. They couldn't point to New York City, if they were standing in the middle of Central Park.
And how do you know where anyone has been?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sacrilege at Ground Zero - Article - National Review Online

A place is made sacred by a widespread belief that it was visited by the miraculous or the transcendent (Lourdes, the Temple Mount), by the presence there once of great nobility and sacrifice (Gettysburg), or by the blood of martyrs and the indescribable suffering of the innocent (Auschwitz).

When we speak of Ground Zero as hallowed ground, what we mean is that it belongs to those who suffered and died there — and that such ownership obliges us, the living, to preserve the dignity and memory of the place, never allowing it to be forgotten, trivialized, or misappropriated.
For those who didn't read the article above:

The "area" around Ground ZEro is as much belonging to the Muslims as a place of hollowed ground, where they too, lost much of their followers; one was on the Plane that crashed into the the North Tower.

Oh wait, only Christians can consider it hollowed ground; and we can just forget about those pesky Muslims who also died there because, well, its their fault after all ... right?

The oPEd author has it right about Islam, we treat with a broad brush, but I disagree with his conclusions for the reasons above.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Still unwilling to answer my question about Constitutionally affirmed rights with a simple YES or NO I see.

Of which are you more afraid: of committing to an ideal which applies equally to each Constitutional amendment or the hypocrisy you have for those parts of the Constitution with which you don't agree?

Again, this opposition to the Ground Zero Mosque is not about any infringement on the First Amendment (as there are hundreds of Mosques in NYC) but rather one of respect for the people of the USA and applying that respect be it through zoning or voluntarily choosing a different site.
Yeah, I know there are a lot of guys who don't like that mosque being there. See, I want there to be a mosque there. It's kind of a symbol to the world of how tolerant and free Americans are as a people, that we can have a Mosque at the site of a terrorist attack. Likewise, if it were 1946, I wouldn't too much mind a business run by folks with Japanese heritage near the site of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM

436 posts, read 908,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Thanks for posting. Some people just want to remain ignorant about Islam, so they can malign its followers all they want. They are no worst than racists.
I just dont trust Islam and there is no way that will ever change, especially when it says in the Koran kill or enslave all non believers, yeah that's a nice religion, no thanks I'll pass.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM

472 posts, read 855,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Yeah, I know there are a lot of guys who don't like that mosque being there. See, I want there to be a mosque there. It's kind of a symbol to the world of how tolerant and free Americans are as a people, that we can have a Mosque at the site of a terrorist attack. Likewise, if it were 1946, I wouldn't too much mind a business run by folks with Japanese heritage near the site of the Pearl Harbor attack.
You're kidding right?

I see it as a symbol of America's weakness. Not only can you come fly a plane into our buildings, but we'll let you put a mosque there representing the very religion that caused this to happen.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I always love it when someone starts their statement with " I'm a Christian". Because I know that they are about to say some of the most un-Christian crap you'll ever hear!

And I am sick of this moral equivalency argument! As if we can't say anything because of some deeds done in the past!! Whatever issues the Christian church had back then they obviously addressed them pretty well over the centuries!! So when you see Christians cutting off noses of helpless women and Honor Killing their own children, then come and talk to me about equivalency TODAY...IN THE HERE AND NOW!

THEY SHOULD NOT BUILD THAT MOSQUE ON THAT SPOT! PERIOD!
Can someone who agrees with moral equivalency explain to me what is meant by it.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM

531 posts, read 338,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
I just dont trust Islam and there is no way that will ever change, especially when it says in the Koran kill or enslave all non believers, yeah that's a nice religion, no thanks I'll pass.
These people don't understand the realities of Islam. Keep your knowledge to yourself because it will fall on def ears. They don't want to learn.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 AM

531 posts, read 338,234 times
These terrorist's are not doing anything there religion does not permit. Muhammad would be proud.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Likewise, if it were 1946, I wouldn't too much mind a business run by folks with Japanese heritage near the site of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Um.. there were several Japanese businesses around Pearl Harbor after Dec 7, 1941. they were there before and they were there after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies