Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by irishvanguard
Perhaps you need to go and learn the meaning of the free exercise clause yourself. It states that Congress...........not the states.........can make no law, etc.........
Actually, a state naming a religion would be perfectly constitutional, but the federal government cannot do it.

Another reason you may not be conservative #792: lack of training in the Constitution?
Well, dang, the feds can't do it, but at least the states can take away rights, right? You would like that, wouldn't you?

I saw this coming, but I thought cons were at least smart enough to know that the 14th amendment requires states to protect rights granted by the feds. Here it is <<digs through his documents>>

Quote:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Does it mention the first amendment? No, but it does mention "priviledges and immunities" which roughly mean rights granted to us which would include the Bill of Rights.

But then, many conservatives aren't liking the 14th amendment either these days, so I'm told.

Reason I'm not conservative # 793. lack of knowledge and understanding of the constitution (unless it suits them)

Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Obama defends ground zero mosque plans - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

Our moron-in-chief must be going for the Muslim vote this November.

I think this is the only thing that I can totally agree with our boy leader on. Finally, he says something that makes sense.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Perhaps you need to go and learn the meaning of the free exercise clause yourself. It states that Congress...........not the states.........can make no law, etc.........
Actually, a state (or municipality, for that matter) naming a religion would be perfectly constitutional, but the federal government cannot do it.

Another reason you may not be conservative #792: lack of training in the Constitution?
That can't possibly be right, Irish, or a lot of cities (and maybe one or two states) out there in Christian Whackoland would have declared themselves Christian entities by now...

Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Don't give me that crap! This Iman is considered very MUSLIM! And our stinkin' administration is flyin' him around on our taxpayer dime!! And this guy said we asked for it!! THIS IMAM SAID THIS!! So I ask you...IS HE A TRUE MUSLIM??
The last stinkin' administration flew this same imam out for the same reasons, right? Cute how you leave that out.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-14-2010 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
That can't possibly be right, Irish, or a lot of cities (and maybe one or two states) out there in Christian Whackoland would have declared themselves Christian entities by now...
It would be constitutional, but since when does the federal government stay within constitutional bounds? And are you referring to the Bible Belt, perhaps? Remember, they have a constitutional right to exist, in case you have forgotten. Perhaps you are wishing them away?.........

Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And then be criticized for having a sandwich with $100/lb ham. People that like to talk from both ends, amuse me.

Or 168.
Why do people do this. Oklahoma City? Oh please, McVeigh's actions had NOTHING to do with Christianity or religion and you all know it.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Great job, Mr. President. You'll certainly be getting my vote again in 2012.

Sorry, republicans, but religious intolerance is unconstitutional.
Since you are not from nyc you may not understand what it is like to have the twin towers which represented nyc for years being destroyed. The people who destoryed it were muslims and their religion was the reason for it. It is very unfair for the people of nyc to have to see this mosque right in the area where the wtc was once. I think of it as this way, image a german history museum in an area currently home to a large jewish population and where a nazi death camp existed. The nazis are a small part of german history but still a part of it and it would be very intolerant to expect those jews not to be offended by it. The same goes for this mosque. Not all of islam are extremist but you cant get away from the fact that many are. By the way if anyone is familar with the history of islam and their conquest of the world? Once they take over an area they build a mosque in the area where the previous people had their religious buildings. Which is what in israel on the temple mount is a mosque. After islam took over the area they build a mosque on the holy land.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Muslims were not responsible for 911, terrorists were. It was terrorists that professed the Muslim religion, but they were not Muslim, just as there are a lot who profess to be Christian, that are not.
I did not get any say in making US policy in the Middle East, yet the demented terrorists slammed their plane into my building and killed 80+ of my coworkers because they figured we were all Americans and so we all thought the same way and didn't care about what our government had done in their countries. Of course, they perceived that Americans are hell-bent on making war on Islam when it was only ever about greed.

The point is that I didn't appreciate being lumped in with people who took objectionable actions just because they were Americans and so am I.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The last stinkin' administration flew this same imam out for the same reasons, right? Cute how you leave that out.

If you think that "United States policies were an accomplice in the 9/11 attacks" is the same as "We asked for it", then I'm sorry to hear that you have a learning disability.
Fair enough, but guess what? Now we know more about this radical Imam. There is no damn excuse to continue to fund this man and his trips on OUR dime. Im sorry, the "they did it so its ok" argument gets old. Its either right or its wrong. And this is wrong, period.

And please, if you dont think saying what he said was basically "we asked for it", then enlighten us oh wise one. What exactly did he mean? Im sure he meant nothing but great things about us.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:46 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Muslims were not responsible for 911, terrorists were. It was terrorists that professed the Muslim religion, but they were not Muslim, just as there are a lot who profess to be Christian, that are not.
Really I didnt realize that. I guess I was being totally wrong for thinking that islam was the reason why the terrorist destroyed the wtc. I actually known people who have been to saudi arabia and other muslim nations. They have told me a lot of horrror stories from those nations. Do you know of such a thing as a religious police? How about how women are second class citizen there? Or how intolerant they are of people with different religions? Do you know what you call a man or woman in a muslim country who leaves islam and converts to christianity? You call them dead because that is a crime and it is punished by death. No you are blind but your liberal views and thinking. ISLAM WAS THE REASON WHY THE WTC WAS DESTORYED. THOSE PEOPLE WHO DESTORYED THE WTC WERE PRACTICING MUSLIMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies