Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You are all confused. These aren't budget cuts as the money was already appropriated for the said purposes. The democrats took it upon themselves to extract money from these funds to pay their bills and other lavish spending programs. I don't have a problem with budget cuts, why would I? However, if you (the legislators) are going to pass a budget and appropriate funds for certain initiatives, it is disingenuous to then take those funds and use them elsewhere. Some of these funds had been previously protected by state law from this exact scenario, however, the democrats have changed that so that it's turning into one big slushfund of spending for them to dole out as they see fit. What's the point of a budget if you don't stick to it? And better yet, why NOT enact sweeping budget CUTS or conversely, why appropriate money to these various funds if they are really so unnecessary that they can be robbed of funding without negative consequences??? I don't have a problem with budget cuts, I welcome them.
Don't spend the money, its cuts.

Republicans have sponsored the same thing in Congress with the stimulus money.

Yes, the money was already appropriated, but it hasn't been spent. So, you save money. It'd be like me budgeting in money for a boat in my budget, and then budgeting it out when I realized I need to pay the mortgage.

Not to mention that Republicans co-sponsored the measure, and you completely neglected to mention them. Then lump the President, who has no say over this at all. What a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Governors office isn't the Senate, and isn't influenced by the President.
I am well aware of this. I simply stated it to further demonstrate that the leadership here is out of control.
Quote:
If I were in Illinois, I probably wouldn't vote for anyone who cut programs, then gave themselves raises.
That's just it though. They haven't CUT any programs. They TOOK money out of funds that were already budgeted and used that money to do things like give themselves raises and a bunch of other crap.

They've been covering the sessions on the news here during the day. Even the local news isn't happy with what the leadership here is doing.

I'm not saying all Dems are bad, because they're not. I've voted for plenty of Dems and in fact, when Obama ran for Senate here, I voted for him. I however, did not vote for him as POTUS, nor did I vote for McCain.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
other lavish spending programs
Quote:
turning into one big slushfund of spending for them to dole out as they see fit.
Where is the money going that is less deserving? Unemployment check recipients are less important than "organ donor awareness"? I doubt that the government is going crazy "doling" out the found money to unnecessary programs. "Slush fund" implies that the government is using the money to pay off cronies for favors. I know that some staffers received pay arises, they shouldn't have, but it's more optics and a drop in the bucket compared to the cutback amounts.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, who would you vote in to take their place?
Any candidate that isn't crooked. It doesn't matter what party they belong to. I would just like to see some honest folks. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Don't spend the money, its cuts.

Republicans have sponsored the same thing in Congress with the stimulus money.

Yes, the money was already appropriated, but it hasn't been spent. So, you save money. It'd be like me budgeting in money for a boat in my budget, and then budgeting it out when I realized I need to pay the mortgage.

Not to mention that Republicans co-sponsored the measure, and you completely neglected to mention them. Then lump the President, who has no say over this at all. What a trip.
Oh the numerous illogical points you are attempting to make here.

1. They aren't NOT spending the money and simply "saving" it, they're using it to be spent elsewhere.

2. Republicans did NOT sponsor or co-sponsor this.

3. The money is NOT being saved, what part of that don't you understand?

4. If you still don't believe that Illinois is one of the most politically corrupt states in the nation, then I seriously must question if you even live in this country. Blago anyone??

5. I never stated that this was the result of any action by Obama. I merely stated that he is the undeniable product of a very politically corrupt state (see above).

6. You bringing up Lincoln proves what exactly? That was 150 years ago. Do you really believe that politics are that static?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
You are all confused. These aren't budget cuts as the money was already appropriated for the said purposes. The democrats took it upon themselves to extract money from these funds to pay their bills and other lavish spending programs. I don't have a problem with budget cuts, why would I? However, if you (the legislators) are going to pass a budget and appropriate funds for certain initiatives, it is disingenuous to then take those funds and use them elsewhere. Some of these funds had been previously protected by state law from this exact scenario, however, the democrats have changed that so that it's turning into one big slushfund of spending for them to dole out as they see fit. What's the point of a budget if you don't stick to it? And better yet, why NOT enact sweeping budget CUTS or conversely, why appropriate money to these various funds if they are really so unnecessary that they can be robbed of funding without negative consequences??? I don't have a problem with budget cuts, I welcome them.
Happens all the time in every state. Cigarette taxes were sold to the public as going to offset costs for medical treatments and state funded healthcare for children. Instead the money gets put into the general fund for anything they want to use it for. Every state has it's horror stories about tax inititives that were to be used for a singular purpose but went into the general fund instead.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Any candidate that isn't crooked. It doesn't matter what party they belong to. I would just like to see some honest folks. That's not too much to ask for, is it?
No. It isn't. I hope you and the great State of Illinois find one.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Do you have a link to the claims in the first post? I can't find it in Google. Is it "raiding" the listed funds or cutbacks in contributions to the funds? All states are enacting budget cutbacks.
The Democrat-led NH State government also tried to steal money put aside by doctors for a malpractice fund, and after getting rebuffed by the Courts, is trying again:

"Governor John Lynch and his Attorney General Kelly Ayotte attempted one of the largest confiscations of private property in New Hampshire history. Together, they moved to drain the private medical malpractice funds of our doctors, nurses and healthcare providers. Thankfully the Supreme Court slapped down their $110 million raid of private funds. Today, Representative Wendelboe resurrected their efforts to raid the JUA (April 20, 2010)." GraniteGrok: More reaction to Fran's Amendment to raid the JUA Fund

NH used to be a fiscally responsible, Republican state, until the Democrats got in a few years ago and starting spending like their Washington counterparts. We've seen a ton of new taxes and increased State taxes, are deep in the red, and they won't stop until we've lost our no-sales tax and no-income tax advantage. Of course there are still no programs that would actually benefit a regular citizen, so it's not like we got anything in return for the confiscation of more tax dollars.

We do have tons of State and Local government employees to micro-manage everything we try to do--since every activity imaginable is a "privilege" granted by government (drive, boat, fish in the ocean, hunt on our own land, improve our own property, own a house, etc.).

NH, the "Live Free or Die" State. America, the "Land of the Free." I doubt many Kings and Emperors in human history controlled every aspect of their subjects' lives to the degree Americans are micro-managed by their government today.

If anyone knows of ANY States that have even a tiny bit of freedom from government micro-management left, please post.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
All these cuts are penny-ante next to the $13 billion deficit in the budget. If the State stopped paying all its employees there would still be a sizable gap. Candidate Brady claims he can balance the budget with no tax increases. When he gets elected, it will be interesting to see what he does.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM

783 posts, read 815,208 times
Quote:
As a medical professional practicing in Illinois, my state representative, Jim Durkin (R), sent me a letter. I'll quote the important parts:

This is how democrats work. Instead of balancing budgets, spending within their means, and enacting necessary budget cuts, they simply vote to raid, rape, and pillage any source of $$ they can get their hands on without any plans to repay these funds. Which begs me to question, who in their right mind would vote for ANY democrat for POTUS coming out of Illinois??
You do know that state spending cuts would be very detrimental to private sector activity and thus bad for ilinois economy as a whole since it would reduce aggregate demand and reduce consumer spending by increasing unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies