Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in a country of like minded people, if so, what kind?
A conservative country. 14 50.00%
A mixed minded country where everyone is demanding that things be their way. 5 17.86%
A liberal country. 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not personally, no.
And a lot of my friends are church-going folk.

Based on my extensive study of history and current events, however, I think the whole world has had a bad experience with religion. LOL!
You say a lot of your friends are church going folk but you would not want to live in a Christian or religious society, that does not compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
You say a lot of your friends are church going folk but you would not want to live in a Christian or religious society, that does not compute.
They go to church but they keep it to themselves. They don't try to inject their faith into their politics or how they treat and deal with other people. That is historically a very difficult thing for most religious people to do. If I ever hear about church or mosque or temple from my friends, it's in the context of:

"I got the day off last Sunday and went to church!"
"This girl I know from church blah blah blah blah..."

not

"I think all gays are evil and we should discriminate against them because of something I learned in church. Let's petition the government to enact it into law! Then let's go out and have some KFC!"

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They go to church but they keep it to themselves. They don't try to inject their faith into their politics or how they treat and deal with other people. That is historically a very difficult thing for most religious people to do. If I ever hear about church or mosque or temple from my friends, it's in the context of:

"I got the day off last Sunday and went to church!"
"This girl I know from church blah blah blah blah..."

not

"I think all gays are evil and we should discriminate against them because of something I learned in church."
I think your friends are the norm, while there are zealots out there, they are in my experience, not the norm.

Being brought up in a Christian home religion was often the topic but, when we were around people who were not religious it only came up if they brought it up and wanted to discuss it more. I had an Uncle who was Gay and everyone knew it but it was never discussed or talked about by anyone and he was a cool dude. He was a very good artist and often gave our family pictures that he drew and Mom would hang them in our home.

For me, being a Christian is a personal thing and while we are told to go and spread the word, I only speak of it if the occasion arises and then I do not judge, I only try to tell of salvation and let god take it from there.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I think your friends are the norm, while there are zealots out there, they are in my experience, not the norm.

If that were true, we'd have gay marriage by now.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
The poll would work much better if instead of writing 'country', write America, that would reveal more. Because that is what Americans want - a conformist society where the Status Quo rules and everyone is obedient and thinks the same. The first two options are for conservatives.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Obviously mixed. A country ruled by extremist ideology is doomed to failure.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Persoanlly it is evident that people of like minds on basics do live together in thsi country and are moving everyday to get there.Even on educastion you will find like minded people making the school district a major consdieration in where they live if they can afford it.The urban are4as are being abanboned daily just for this reason of pewople wanting to live in a like minded concentrated area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies