Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

A SUDDEN CHANGE OF HEART ON THE AMERICAN AUTO INDUSTRY.... As we've been talking about over the last couple of days, President Obama's decision to rescue American auto manufacturers looks awfully good with the benefit of hindsight. Republicans were apoplectic at the time, but more than a year later, we now know the GOP was wrong and the Obama White House was right.

The more amusing angle, however, is watching Republicans scramble to justify their enormous mistake. At a moment of crisis, and with the GOP's credibility on the line, Republicans made the wrong call -- but with a little revisionist history, they're hoping you won't notice.
The Washington Monthly, August 1

Told you.... sit on the sidelines and throw rocks, never try to help, then when things are looking good sweep in and try to take credit.

Despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
See also The Washington Monthly, July 31

"There are worse things to base an election on -- Republicans were prepared to let the American auto industry fail at the height of the Great Recession, but President Obama rescued it instead. If the auto bailout and Obama's presidency are inextricably tied, the White House has reason to boast."

Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Both Chrysler and GM could have restructured under normal bankruptcy laws and still be in the same situation today...sans our money bailing their sorry inept arses out.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Ford's success is all the proof that's needed. RINOs who pursue this stupid path of "taking credit" for one of the dumbest political moves since FDR enacted the New Deal are doing so at their own peril.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
A SUDDEN CHANGE OF HEART ON THE AMERICAN AUTO INDUSTRY.... As we've been talking about over the last couple of days, President Obama's decision to rescue American auto manufacturers looks awfully good with the benefit of hindsight. Republicans were apoplectic at the time, but more than a year later, we now know the GOP was wrong and the Obama White House was right.

The more amusing angle, however, is watching Republicans scramble to justify their enormous mistake. At a moment of crisis, and with the GOP's credibility on the line, Republicans made the wrong call -- but with a little revisionist history, they're hoping you won't notice.
The Washington Monthly, August 1

Told you.... sit on the sidelines and throw rocks, never try to help, then when things are looking good sweep in and try to take credit.

Despicable.

Hasn't obama been saying it's all the Republicans' fault anyway?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Didn't Bush bail out GM and Chrysler?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20auto.html

Also, you can't blame everything on the Republicans and then when something actually works, jump in and take credit.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
#1 I think calling this succesful would be wildly optimistic to say the least. #2 Using the terms republicans and scrambling are hardly accurate. Maybe the truth would go something like.............Republican Bob Corker has change of heart regarding auto industry bail out!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I'm absolutely scratching my head at how many liberals are enthusiastically cheering on crony capitalism all of a sudden. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since its their cronies involved.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm absolutely scratching my head at how many liberals are enthusiastically cheering on crony capitalism all of a sudden. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since its their cronies involved.
Yup..capitalism is good if championed by a Dem but bad if championed by a Repub.

One should either be for or against capitalism regardless of political affiliation.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times
rescue? Lol Ford didn't want nor need a rescue. The others shouldve been allowed to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies