Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times

Advertisements

There was an overwhelming positive message from the RH rally.

Sharpton's "Reclaim the Dream"? Not so much.

Quote:
"Shame on them. We still have a dream. We are here to let those folks on the Mall know that they don't represent the dream," said Jaime Contreras, president of SEIU-32BJ. "They sure as hell don't represent me. They represent hate-mongering and angry white people. The happy white people are here today. We will not let them stand in the way of the change we voted for!"
Quote:
"This is America. All groups ought to have the opportunity to speak and give their point of view. We've been at the Mall," said the Rev. W. Franklin Richardson, president of Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, N.Y. "It's all right with me that they are at the Mall today because we are at the White House."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 01:45 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,098,848 times
Beck's rally was a roaring success even with the racist haters on the left doing their best to spread their message of hate, racisim and intolerance.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,375,209 times
It will be interesting to see how the media covers the events of today.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:02 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,144,175 times
I just read some quotes on CNN from Sharpton's thing. Wow, does this guy really not get it or what? How is he honoring Dr. King by making remarks like he did? This guy sees nothing but black/white. Its always black vs white with him.

To sit there and make mocking comments toward Beck's rally, just ruins any positive message he wished to put out during his rally. Sharpton never ceases to attack and degrade the message of Dr. King. Such a shame.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times
Apparently, the Sharpton rally is the one who thinks they're in competition ...

Quote:
When the Sharpton rally reached the mall, most of the crowd from Beck's rally had begun to disperse. Those remaining, mostly smiled politely. "We love Obama! We like Obama!" those in Sharpton's rally yelled.
"Glen Beck, we're going to show you. We ain't going to let Glenn Beck turn us around," one man shouted into a mega phone. The crowd followed him. A few people took photos as they chanted and walked down Constitution Avenue. "We need to be shouting 'we are America,'" said one woman in Sharpton's rally. "See all those tea baggers." The two crowds mostly gawked at each other and smiled.
Quote:
The intersection of Independence Avenue and 17th street was a crossroads of expressions and participants from both events came together.
As one group of black women chanted "Yes we did and get over it," those part of the Glenn Beck rally clapped and passed out Restore the Honor bottles of water.
But Brett Cummings of Gordon Ga wasn't happy. "Look at the statement if we had all come together as one." Katheryn Travis who came to Beck Rally from Knoxville Tenn was almost in
tears. "Dr King wanted all of us to come together. We have to believe that."

Old 08-28-2010, 02:08 PM

From CNN:

"Sharpton and others couldn't resist discussing the controversial event at the Lincoln Memorial organized by conservative talk show host Glenn Beck, a rally Beck called "Restoring Honor." Beck, who has a program on Fox News as well as several radio programs, was criticized for holding his rally at the site of King's speech on the anniversary.
"They may have the mall," Sharpton said, "but we have the message. They may have the platform but we have the dream."

"This is our day and we ain't giving it away," said Sharpton, who reminded the crowd that much civil rights progress has been seen in the last several decades but more needs to be made."

What is he even talking about? MLK's message wasnt for just you Sharpton. It was for ALL Americans. Do we need your permission to do anything on this day? Do we need your permission to honor MLK? This guy has no clue about MLK or what his speech was about. He does more to hurt race relations than help. Shame on him. I really thought he would rise above negativity this time and actually honor Dr. King. Attacking a group who doesnt oppose you or Dr. King, completely destroys anything positive Sharpton wished to get done today.

I have a dream Sharpton. And its not just MY dream, nor YOUR dream. I have a dream that one day you and others will wake up and stop race baiting. Stop seeing things as black vs white. I have a dream that you will one day be a positive thing for the black community and this country as a whole. I have a dream that one I and others would actually see you as a Reverend. But Reverend you are not. And continuing MLK's message or honoring it YOU ARE NOT.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Apparently, the Sharpton rally is the one who thinks they're in competition ...
Exactly. I dont get it. Beck nor anyone else at that rally said anything about Sharpton. There was no, "who can have a better rally" thing going on. Or who's message is better. I enjoyed the entire Honor Rally and that rally had nothing in it to shame MLK or its message. Sharpton has shamed the message of MLK and has made this out to be some "rally" dance off competition where trash talking to the other side is key.

I seriously thought he would avoid doing so and adhere to the honor and message of Martin Luther King. He did not do so. Shame on me for having faith that he would do the right thing

Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,020,112 times
Racially divisive. Antagonistic. Overtly political.

Sounds like Sharpton's gathering was everything the left claimed Beck's would be.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the liberals to denounce Sharpton's platform.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,782,801 times
I am watching the Reclaim the dream rally right now on a production quality it is sad and looks like a high school production. Who in their right mind knowing that most speeches would be from a black person would use black drape as a background and not gray. It’s sad they could not put on a quality production for there event

Old 08-28-2010, 03:02 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,098,848 times
The radical, intolerant , racist, bigoted, jealous leftists cannot stand the fact they are being kicked to the gutter where they belong. The left is on the wrong side of everything and Beck is on the right side.

Ha Ha. Who does the left have as a speaker? One of the most racist organizations in America, La Raza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies