Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times

Advertisements

People of color have a right to criticize Dr. Laura. They have a right to debate the issue and they have a right to express concerns. However, the fact that Dr. Laura was most likely bullied off her radio show is very inappropriate and I think it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
People of color have a right to criticize Dr. Laura. They have a right to debate the issue and they have a right to express concerns. However, the fact that Dr. Laura was most likely bullied off her radio show is very inappropriate and I think it's wrong.
Dr. Laura had every right to express her opinion, she still does. Dr. Laura left her show by her own choice. The sponsors of Dr. Laura show also have the right to pull their sponsorships if they find her viewpoints and comments offensive, insensitive or distasteful. Some of those sponsors exercised those rights.

Your right to free speech is guaranteed by the Constitution. But your speech also has consequences. If appears Dr. Laura isn’t too happy with the consequences of her comments. Too bad she didn’t think about that before she made them.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Dr. Laura Advises Mom to Dump her Autistic Child

A disabilities legal advocate who happened to be listening today sends in this report:

A mother calls Dr. Laura for an answer to one question, "Should I go to my father's birthday party?" Her "moral dilemma" was that her husband did not think they should go anywhere they could not take their child with autism.

Her answer is, "Yes." "Buy yourself a nice dress, and have a nice time at dinner tomorrow night, maybe one of the few nice times you've had at dinner in 8 years. And that's fair." Her answer was also "There's nowhere you can take this kid. There is no place." Then incredibly, Dr. Laura recommends that mother should just put her kid in an institution so she can spend more time with the rest of the family. Subject: Dr. Laura Advises Mom to Dump her Autistic - Wrightslaw

So let's analyze this....
Palin considers herself an advocate for challenged kids and their moms as she carried her Downs Syndrome child around as a prop...but now she comes to the defense of the woman who tells a mom of a challenged child to dump the kid. Hmm...

Dr. Laura's insensitviity borders on sociopathic and Palin realtes to this woman. Makes sense.
Idiot Palin tells Dr. Laura to "reload". What the hell does that mean anyway? Is Palin in moose hunting mode? BTW, Frau Palin...as much as Dr. Laura has the right to insult people and display frigid insensitivity, people have the right to call her out on it. That goes for you too, you numbskull. Never saw an attention getting non-cause that didn't bring you out of the woodwork, have you?

I can see Dr. Laura's point in this case. The family was not being able to meet the needs of their 2 other children due to the problems of this 1 child. The other 2 kids were having to be sent off to live with the grandparents while the stressed out parents focused all of their energy on the 1 child. Why not reverse it, and send the 1 child off to the experts (where he would get all the special attention and care that he needs, plus visitation and weekends with the parents), and keep the other 2 kids at home where the parents could actually meet their needs? What is so wrong with that? Either way, the parents were unable to handle all three kids at home at the same time, so what is the difference?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times
Then freedom of speech isn't really free now is it, if there are such strong penalties then there isn't freedom of speech. Everyone knows that already.

I'm defending Dr. Laura on this one even though I dislike many of her hyper-conservative beliefs and comments. On the positive side I'm glad Howard Stern is still around. How many times has he been punished with "consequences." lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Your right to free speech is guaranteed by the Constitution. But your speech also has consequences. If appears Dr. Laura isn’t too happy with the consequences of her comments. Too bad she didn’t think about that before she made them.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
It seems that Dr. Laura can't take criticism. Rush Limbaugh gets pilloried every day by liberals, but he soldiers on. Dr. Laura gets criticized one time, and she's crying about her First Amendment rights being trampled upon. It's nonsense.

I guess she thinks that she has a right to say whatever she wants, but no one is allowed to criticize her. She's seriously confused.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
However, the fact that Dr. Laura was most likely bullied off her radio show is very inappropriate and I think it's wrong.
The "fact" that she was bullied off her radio show? Huh? The woman quit. She said so. Do you have any evidence at all that she was fired? And if she was fired, why would she hide that fact? It would make her argument about free speech a lot stronger if she had, in fact, been fired.

When things got tough, she quit her job. No wonder Sarah Palin admires her.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:45 AM

423 posts, read 824,142 times
How much you wanna bet that she'll land a job at Faux News?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:51 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The "fact" that she was bullied off her radio show? Huh? The woman quit. She said so. Do you have any evidence at all that she was fired? And if she was fired, why would she hide that fact? It would make her argument about free speech a lot stronger if she had, in fact, been fired.

When things got tough, she quit her job. No wonder Sarah Palin admires her.

All those trees and you don't see a forest. If the left cannot control what you say, they will destroy you, your career and your family too. Their is no level of sleazy to which the left will not stoop to accomplish what they desire. So what is your excuse for piling on?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It seems that Dr. Laura can't take criticism. Rush Limbaugh gets pilloried every day by liberals, but he soldiers on. Dr. Laura gets criticized one time, and she's crying about her First Amendment rights being trampled upon. It's nonsense.

I guess she thinks that she has a right to say whatever she wants, but no one is allowed to criticize her. She's seriously confused.

Maybe she has no desire to argue with idiots.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
All those trees and you don't see a forest. If the left cannot control what you say, they will destroy you, your career and your family too. Their is no level of sleazy to which the left will not stoop to accomplish what they desire. So what is your excuse for piling on?
Ahhhhh.....I see. OK, I understand it all now.

So it was "The Left" who made Dr Laura have a Tourette's Syndrome N-word attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies