Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times

Advertisements

I just got an email from the Democratic party reminding me to vote tomorrow.
Since I am registered as either Undeclared or Independent (i'd have to check out my voters registration to be sure) shouldn't I be allowed to vote for whom ever I want?

Here is what the email said...
Quote:
Dear Voter,

Don’t miss your opportunity to make a difference – vote tomorrow: your vote matters in Alaska’s primary election. A number of contested races and two important ballot measures are on the ballot.

Not sure where to vote? Call the State of Alaska’s polling place locator to find your voting location. Have your voter identification number or Social Security Number ready and dial:

Outside the Anchorage area:
1-888-383-8683

Within the Anchorage area:
269-8683

Or, look up your voting location online.
http://ltgov.state.ak.us/elections/vi_w_polls.php

It’s best to vote at your designated polling location. If you chose to vote at some other polling location, you will be allowed to do so but you will be asked to vote a “Questioned Ballot.”

Bring identification to the polls – be prepared to show one form of identification, such as a Driver’s License or other document containing your name and current address.

Your choice of ballots: You have a choice of 3 ballots. The political party affiliation on your voter registration (as of 30 days before the election) determines which ballot you may choose. Alaska law allows a political party to select who may participate in their party's primary. The Alaska Democratic Party believes in an open ballot, not a closed ballot.

The ballots are:
* Alaska Democratic Party, Alaska Libertarian Party and Alaskan Independence Party ballot – any registered voter may vote this ballot;
* Alaska Republican Party ballot – the Republican Party allows only voters registered as Republican, Nonpartisan or Undeclared to vote this ballot;
* Ballot Measures Only ballot - any registered voter may vote this ballot.

To see a sample ballot with all the candidates and ballot measures for your district, click here.
http://ltgov.state.ak.us/elections/ei_primary_pesb.php.

The Alaska Democratic Party encourages everyone to vote in our open Democratic Primary. To find contact information for Democratic candidates, click here.

Please vote!

Thank you.
Regards,

Patti Higgins -- Chair, Alaska Democratic Party
I followed the link to see the sample ballots and sure enough, I basically have to chooose one side or another. I cannot pick some from each party. I am not allowed to choose whom I think the BEST candidate is. I am forced to pick a SIDE and then choose from there.

That does not seem fair at all. Are other states like this? Can it be changed so voters can really have a say in who gets elected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
No, it's a primary. I think you should have to be a member of the party to vote in a primary. Why should I get to vote in primaries for two parties when I can only vote for one candidate in the actual election?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Since I am registered as either Undeclared or Independent (i'd have to check out my voters registration to be sure) shouldn't I be allowed to vote for whom ever I want?

Here is what the email said...

I followed the link to see the sample ballots and sure enough, I basically have to chooose one side or another. I cannot pick some from each party. I am not allowed to choose whom I think the BEST candidate is. I am forced to pick a SIDE and then choose from there.

That does not seem fair at all. Are other states like this? Can it be changed so voters can really have a say in who gets elected?
It keeps the hankypanky down....one party might flood another party with goofy candidates and that wouldn't be in the interest of honest serious voters. Or one party might vote for a candidate of another party that they are sure would lose in the general election.

Minnesota does not allow crossover voting.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Yeah, go and sign up to be a Democrat and vote for the worst candidate possible to ensure that they don't win... Oh wait, that is how McCain got elected for the Primary, the Dem's voted on the Republican tickets...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
No, it's a primary. I think you should have to be a member of the party to vote in a primary. Why should I get to vote in primaries for two parties when I can only vote for one candidate in the actual election?
Why should we only be allowed to vote for one party in the General Election either?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Why should we only be allowed to vote for one party in the General Election either?
You can vote for different parties in the General election.

Google , or call, the League of Women Voters....they will answer all voting questions.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
No. If you want to vote in the Republican Primary, you must be a registered Republican. If you want to vote in the Democrat Primary, you must be a registered Democrat. The Supreme Court ended open primaries in California Democrat Party v. Jones, 530 US 567 (2000). A political party has the constitutional right to limit who may vote in their party's primary to only those who are registered with that political party.

Quote:

This is the primary election, not the General Election. During the General Election in November you will be able to vote for whomever you please.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yeah, go and sign up to be a Democrat and vote for the worst candidate possible to ensure that they don't win... Oh wait, that is how McCain got elected for the Primary, the Dem's voted on the Republican tickets...
Yeah that's exactly how it happened

(Seriously? John Kerry was a bad candidate but I'm not gonna blame it on the Republicans. That is so dumb.)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

This is the primary election, not the General Election. During the General Election in November you will be able to vote for whomever you please.
THanks!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I only want to vote for one person for each position, but some of the people I want to vote for are on EACH ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies