Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Absolutely correct and let's not forget a bunch of great music and musicians. Oh yeah, I don't think that we had health food stores until the 60's.
The 60s was also the end of blind trust in our government, thanks to the hippies, which many people see as a good thing...including the modern day Tea Partiers.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Some hippies were just replacing one authority with another, though, i.e. their parents, teachers, and the state by leaders and even gurus.

Most people are sheep, no matter who they run after

Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The 60s was also the end of blind trust in our government, thanks to the hippies, which many people see as a good thing...including the modern day Tea Partiers.
Tea Baggers trusted their Government under the Bushes.

It's when the Hawaii Blackskins won the pennant that suspicion interceded.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Or yours...
Hippies had much more open relationships than conservative people. And that not only in those infamous communes and groups affiliated with sects and gurus.
Again, you confuse some with most or all.
How did you become a "hippie" expert.
How old are you?
Quote:
No, I have always been conservative in terms of drugs, relationships and hygiene
Are you saying that every hippie did drugs, had wild relationships and didn't bathe? Seriously, is that what you're saying?

You seem to have your own definition of hippies, please tell us exactly what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
What is funny to me is that the Tea Bagger movement today is essentially just a group of hippies with better haircuts who bathe more frequently.
Other than you couldn't be more wrong, care to expound?
I suppose you're in your late 50s/early 60s so you have a clue about the reality of the mid-60s to mid-70s.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Some hippies were just replacing one authority with another, though, i.e. their parents, teachers, and the state by leaders and even gurus.

Most people are sheep, no matter who they run after
This is my bag, and in my bag, is my thing.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
I graduated from high school in the late 60s and so I kind of came of age during the hippie period. Here's my perspective...

First, I've always been under the impression that the entire hippie movement was a fad. That's not to say that it had no substance, but it's existence and relative popularity was a fad, the "in" thing to do.

I personally was never a hippie. To this day I am yet to use an illegal drug. I like beer and wine, but when it comes to illegal stuff, I keep away. I had kind of stylishly long hair at the time. But I did not want to be confused for a girl by someone walking behind me. I was a little too much of a jock for that. A kind of general hippie thing was to call cops "pigs" and kind of downgrade the conservative family man. I saw some of that first hand on the Ohio State University campus. They had anti-war protests there that were memorable. When I think back, I swear I can still smell the tear gas. Anyhow, all of that stuff irritated me.

Now for the positive side... A number of my friends were actual hippies. They didn't carry hippie identification cards, but that's pretty much what they were. All of these guys eventually went to college and are today family guys. In fact, in almost all cases the kids have become adults and so these ex-hippies are down to just their spouse. In a lot of ways these people didn't take much of the 60s with them as they went on through the decades.

Meanwhile the guy who perhaps was the most marked by the hippie movement was me. Due to some mild learning disabilities I had limited academic ablilities. I visited the Ohio State University area many times, but only to romanticize the coeds and/or drink beer at one of their many taverns. But despite my lack of scholastic aptitude, I was not a failure. I was not a failure because the kind of unofficial hippie philosophy told me I was only a failure if I thought of myself as one. Yeah, believe it or not, I bought into that and consequently I never thought of myself as a failure. I never lacked self-worth. There were other things to stive for besides what society had deemed as traditional success.

I took this open-mindedness into other areas. I decided that I would consider my life's options before entering into things. The result is that I decided I would get married when and if I actually wanted to. As of this date, I have never wanted to. I have likewise never wanted to be a workplace manager or supervisor. So I have politely turned down several offers over the decades. I figured the additional money is not worth the additional strife. All these years later I can safely say that I have enjoyed my time on earth and I have not regretted any of my choices, many of which were undoubtedly influenced by the hippie movement. If I had been born ten, perhaps even five years earlier my entire life viewpoint may well have been different.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM

89 posts, read 142,030 times
Basically, "hippie" is the rule now. Just look at our modern society.

Someone somewhere said that the 'father-present' rate before "Great Society" was 70%, and since welfare, it's dropped to around 30%. There's 'free love' for you. And the taxpayers support the children too like one big happy comune! After all, only those mean old conservative closed-minded folk would make them work for a living. Not us hippies- we're NICE and charitable!

And it's not just the underclass that has abandoned the old traditional nuclear family. More middle class households are absent a father nowadays, whether through high divorce rates, or never-been-married mothers. It's almost as if those who actually marry and have children (in that order) are looked upon as closed-minded facist bigots who have yet to experience the true freedoms and pleasures of life! Yes, I'm still married to my 1st wife and spend time w/my kids. (Might get a divorce, though.) But a lot of people look at me as if I'm an old prude for it. Yes, I really should be more open-minded and sleep with every woman I possibly can.

And where once Bach and Mozart plagued the muzak system of your local big-box store, now you'll hear Jefferson Airplane and Rolling Stones. (Not that it's a bad thing)

Oh, and as far as our recent presidents... well, they avoid questions regarding their drug use while going to ivy-league colleges on their rich family's money. One claimed he "didn't inhale!" So the hippies are now well-represented in Washington.

So, if you REALLY want another 'anti-authority' movement that questions societal norms, U'd need to be loyal to a monogamous spouse, avoid drugs, question our entitlement programs, and strive for a life of self-sufficency, being handy with household tools and electronics, as well as staying out of debt financially! And, you would question ALL, authority, including LIBERALS too!

Now THAT would be a real social rebel!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Performed by Elvis Costello, written by the great Nick Lowe:

YouTube - Elvis Costello - Peace Love And Understanding (2004)

Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Other than you couldn't be more wrong, care to expound?
The Tea Baggers are just another group of people forming mass protests about / against a broad concept, but generally lack any real, in-depth, scholarly knowledge about what it is they are actually protesting. Some do...but many are just jumping on a bandwagon.

Hopefully, the Tea Baggers will have their own Altamont in the near future, and that will put an end to their nonsense.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
US Military and CIA LSD tests on civilians:

LSD Research: An Overview by Jessica Locke Del Greco
The purpose of this paper is to summarize the history of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) research and to discuss the manner in which this research influenced the evolution of society. Between the years 1947 and 1963, CIA and Army scientists examined, tested, and in some cases refined every drug which subsequently became available on the black market during the 1960's, including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP, amyl nitrate, mushrooms, DMT, barbituates, laughing gas, and speed, among others (Lee and Shalin, xx). In the course of this research, government scientists found, for example, that injections of cocaine produce free and spontaneous speech in catatonic schizophrenics within two days (Lee & Shalin, 11).

French bread spiked with LSD in CIA experiment - Telegraph
In 1951, a quiet, picturesque village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations. At least five people died, dozens were interned in asylums and hundreds afflicted.
For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now, however, an American investigative journalist has uncovered evidence suggesting the CIA peppered local food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

A History Of US Secret Human Experimentation
1958 LSD is tested on 95 volunteers at the Army's Chemical Warfare Laboratories for its effect on intelligence.

1960 The Army Assistant Chief-of-Staff for Intelligence (ACSI) authorizes field testing of LSD in Europe and the Far East. Testing of the european population is code named Project THIRD CHANCE; testing of the Asian population is code named Project DERBY HAT.

1965 Project CIA and Department of Defense begin Project MKSEARCH, a program to develop a capability to manipulate human behavior through the use of mind-altering drugs.

1965 Prisoners at the Holmesburg State Prison in Philadelphia are subjected to dioxin, the highly toxic chemical component of Agent Orange used in Viet Nam. The men are later studied for development of cancer, which indicates that Agent Orange had been a suspected carcinogen all along.

Researchers tested pot, LSD on Army volunteers - USATODAY.com
Army doctors gave soldier volunteers synthetic marijuana, LSD and two dozen other psychoactive drugs during experiments aimed at developing chemical weapons that could incapacitate enemy soldiers, a psychiatrist who performed the research says in a new memoir.

It might be interesting to see the government’s thumbprints on all drugs in our country.
The author Hank Harrison, who was the roadie and acid dealer for the Grateful Dead (and the father of Courtney Love, FWIW), according to some sources had a direct CIA connection for getting ahold of his LSD. It is rumored he himself was a CIA agent although there is no absolute proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies