Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,990,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Look up Richard Dawkins. He's an equal-opportunity attacker. Many of his followers are opposed to religion in general, not just Christianity.
Or Sam Harris, who in his book The End Of Faith gives special treatment to Islam as being particularly dangerous.

Or Christopher Hitchens. Or Daniel Dennett.

The premise of this thread that atheists only attack Christianity is simply false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
"The enemy numbered six hundred-including women and children-and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States." - Mark Twain

Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
curious. I'm an agnostic, so I don't really care, but I'm just wondering. is it because being tolerant of "other" religions is considered liberal? is it because it's known as "christian" conservative in this country?
Atheists do not attack only Christians or Christianity. It is because the vast majority in the US are self-proclaimed Christians that they feel more persecuted than others. It is entirely a matter of perception. If atheists were allowed in other nations that were predominately Muslim, and atheists were allowed to voice their opinion freely, then Muslims would think atheists only target them, and they would be equally wrong.

Not all atheists are liberal either, just as not all Christians are conservative.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
So, following your logic, and to call you on it... as there are an ever increasing number of Muslims in this country, that you will be HEAVILY CRITICIZING THEM, as they are often MORE HOMOPHOBIC, MISOGNYSTIC, etc, than Christians?
One is either homophobic or not. One is either hateful, or not. One is either oppressive or not. The issue of "more" doesn't arise. So, thank you for acknowledging this problem with Christianity as well.

Does Islam get a free pass? Nope, certainly NOT on those issues. If they were anywhere close to being in reasonable numbers, their attempts will certainly be taken more seriously. As it is, on these issues, it makes little sense to be penny wise and pound foolish. A better way, though, is to recognize ALL fundamentalists as a group, regardless of their religion. They ALL share same ideologies, the only thing they don't is religion.

And while I can't stand Mormonism or Evangelicalism, I certainly won't support their oppression. I'm not a Catholic (although, educated in a Catholic school), but I absolutely detest the attitude of the majority in the 19th century against them.

What about you?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM

785 posts, read 619,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Glad to see SOMEONE admit christians are homophobic and misogynistic !
SOME Christians are, and SOME are not. The major difference is that in theocratic MUSLIM nations, the level of pure homophobia and misogynistic behavior and thoughts FAR exceeds anything the western Christian world has to offer.

So...are you going to answer my question or are you going to avoid it. Keep in mind, many people read these forums. If you ignore it, it will be noticed. As such, it will reveal the hypocrisy of your position.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Actually, I think Jesus supposedly left his grave....
LOL! Sorry, haven't attended church since my early days of Catholic CCD classes. Ha-ha-ha. Now I feel quite stupid Oh well.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Atheists do not attack only Christians or Christianity. It is because the vast majority in the US are self-proclaimed Christians that they feel more persecuted than others. It is entirely a matter of perception. If atheists were allowed in other nations that were predominately Muslim, and atheists were allowed to voice their opinion freely, then Muslims would think atheists only target them, and they would be equally wrong.

Not all atheists are liberal either.

And the operative word in that whole drawn-out
paragraph is IF. If they were allowed. Well, we
do allow them. How can we be compared with
Muslims? That is just is so silly.

GLitch, would you like to tell everyone here what
happens to self avowed athiests in other nations
that are predominately Muslim ???

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One is either homophobic or not. One is either hateful, or not. One is either oppressive or not. The issue of "more" doesn't arise. So, thank you for acknowledging this problem with Christianity as well.

Does Islam get a free pass? Nope, certainly NOT on those issues. If they were anywhere close to being in reasonable numbers, their attempts will certainly be taken more seriously. As it is, on these issues, it makes little sense to be penny wise and pound foolish. A better way, though, is to recognize ALL fundamentalists as a group, regardless of their religion. They ALL share same ideologies, the only thing they don't is religion.

And while I can't stand Mormonism or Evangelicalism, I certainly won't support their oppression. I'm not a Catholic (although, educated in a Catholic school), but I absolutely detest the attitude of the majority in the 19th century against them.

What about you?
What about me? I'm an athiest myself, born in NYC's Greenwich Village, raised in the NY area. I'm mostly liberal. As a liberal athiest I find the double standards in the liberal world disgusting. I find them destructive and hateful. I do agree with you that fundamentalism across all religions is wrong. However, you contradicted yourself in using that word. You see, some people stay closer to the written religious word than others and are more extreme in their worship. Also, there are levels of homophobia. For instance, gay people may not be something someone sees anything wrong with, or one might feel it makes them uncomfortable. And then on the EXTREME end of the spectrum, there are the Islamic fundamentalists...who believe in DEATH to gay people.

Your theory one is either oppresive or not is simply laughable and plain stupid. There are LEVELS of oppression. For instance, in Iran...a woman can be stoned to death or adultery. Try and you may, you will not find this happening in the US, where althought women might not make as much to the dollar, it is NOT on the same level as oppression in Iran. Oh...try political dissent in Iran. Getting the point?

You see....you are what is wrong with liberalism. When you deny reality it is because reality, and the facts, contradict your theory. Unlike you, I decided to grow up and admit truths.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
And the operative word in that whole drawn-out
paragraph is IF. If they were allowed. Well, we
do allow them. How can we be compared with
Muslims? That is just is so silly.

GLitch, would you like to tell everyone here what
happens to self avowed athiests in other nations
that are predominately Muslim ???
You beat me to it. Trust me, your post will be ignored by the libs on the board. Its like they have cognitive dissonance. They can't mentally admit truths that go against their beliefs. Instead of changing their beliefs to fit the facts, they try and make the facts fit their beliefs.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
SOME Christians are, and SOME are not. The major difference is that in theocratic MUSLIM nations, the level of pure homophobia and misogynistic behavior and thoughts FAR exceeds anything the western Christian world has to offer.

So...are you going to answer my question or are you going to avoid it. Keep in mind, many people read these forums. If you ignore it, it will be noticed. As such, it will reveal the hypocrisy of your position.
For one thing the western world has (non-religious) laws.
Is the the level of homophobia in America unpure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies