Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,182,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
No, I want you to be honest, less bigoted, more objective, and less brainwashed."""

Maybe you should master that first, before you begin to save the world from it...

"""" That's what I want. You should have picked that up by now.

As it happens, your obsession with Christianity, either blaming it or not giving it credit, reveal you further."""

What obsession? So YOU think I have to embrace christianity or I'm obsessed? That's wacko!

""" Also, I am an athiest, and I can see religous bigotry when I see it. """

AMAZING! REALLY! WOW! (So can I, and other people can, too!!!Sorry, you're not the only one.)

""Again, the fact that you have avoided direct questions shows that your position is weak.
As it does happen, there IS a problem in Islamic societies in being FAR more misogynnistic and homophobic than western Christian societies. """

OK (did you see the "OK"?)....now does that make christians better people because Muslims are so bad??????

""The truth hurts, I know."""

W H O exactly, does it hurt? I'm not Muslim so why would I care ??? I'm not christian so why would I care.

Can Y O U answer...who does it hurt????????

When confronted with the truth, you avoid the facts. As you have avoided answering the direct question which revealed these very facts.

Have a good night. Tomorrow you will begrudgingly be wiser.
Grasshopper thanks you Oh Wise Master.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,767,647 times
What I cannot stand about christians is when they preach (witness) on the job, especially government paying jobs, when they sit at their desks all day long and literally screw off reading all the magazines written by preachers like Joyce Meyers and Kenneth Copeland. When I see a receptionist who just sits all day and gets paid to do that. That's considered their right simply because it's religious based. They aren't praying or practicing their religion and they get an hour for lunch with one 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon.

Oh but when another employee has free time they read a fiction book or a documentary book they get told to get back to work. Not the christian noooo not them they are special. They are reading someone's opinion about god with a few sentences from the bible and that's considered their religious right to read it all day long. Not just when they are caught up with. Not that they should have much being so busy reading all day. Then because they are so worked up and brainwashed from reading so much all day for as many days as they want to they start to preach to coworkers they think have personal problems and when that doesn't work they have no problem starting up gossip to get the coworker who rejects their evangelizing/preaching or dares to question why they get to screw off all day long. Once the gossip they start takes hold they wait and act like they are the only person at work who is their friend and who supposedly doesn't gossip about them or is against ...hey they are a good little christian so come to them (me) and I will be your friend. It's alienate the rejector coworker to get them (divide and conquer tactics) that's when try to reel them in with the turn to god he will help you with your coworkers and it goes from there.

They will resort to anything including starting gossip, trouble to get as many coworkers as possible converted....the proselytizing never stops when they are permitted to play up their religious right. This actually happened in a political office for years and no one could stop her not even the elected officials who where her employers.

When atheists see this at their place of employment and are told they can do this but the atheist can't it angers them and it angers people who aren't atheist or christian. If anyone else of a different religion or who worked in private industry pulled that crap, for one second let alone literally all day long every day, they would have been fired or told you get a 1 hour lunch and 2 breaks for prayer and reading magazines and that would be the end of it.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 08-28-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 AM

785 posts, read 620,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Actually, I wish all the best for women the world around. But the level of my concerns - and yours, I imagine - are proportional to the physical, personal and social proximity to me.

What happens in my family is of more concern to me than what happens to me in a family across town. What happens to a family on a dead-end street in the NE side of Vladivostok is of no concern to me - others are going to have to concern themselves with that. I care more about the behavior of the kid next door to me than the murder rate in Barcelona. Again, this is simple logic.

Whooosh, right over your head, no doubt...

But back to Christians and Muslims, when Muslims start trying to gut biology education in the local schools, yeah, I'll be all over that. Last year, when a charter school in Minnesota was blatantly violated the Establishment Clause in promoting Islam, I was highly critical. So was the ACLU. You know, those liberals at the ACLU, who you claim "only attack Christianity"?
ACLU to sue Twin Cities charter school that caters to Muslims | StarTribune.com

Ditto several years back when some Muslim cab drivers were refusing to transport alcohol and dogs. I fully supported the Metropilitan Airports Commission's crackdown on that discriminatiry behavior.
Minnesota's Muslim Cab Drivers Face Crackdown - washingtonpost.com

And as I pointed out before (and which you conveniently ignored), liberal writers on the subject of atheism, from Richard Dawkins to Christopher Hitchens to Daniel Dennett to Sam Harris, are all pointedly critical of Islam.

I'm highly critical of all sorts of religious nonsense, your feverish fantasies that the cult you like is the only one that gets my disapproval notwithstanding. But the simple fact is that Christianity has immense political power in this country whereas Islam has almost none. Thus, Christianity does far more meddling and oppressing here because it can do so.

You're welcome to your delusions!
YOU:
Actually, I wish all the best for women the world around. But the level of my concerns - and yours, I imagine - are proportional to the physical, personal and social proximity to me.

What happens in my family is of more concern to me than what happens to me in a family across town. What happens to a family on a dead-end street in the NE side of Vladivostok is of no concern to me - others are going to have to concern themselves with that. I care more about the behavior of the kid next door to me than the murder rate in Barcelona. Again, this is simple logic.

Whooosh, right over your head, no doubt...

ME:
Oh no, trust me, nothing you can say will go over my head. It just seems you don’t like getting called on your hypocrisy. I’ve noticed your tone has changed too. It’s gotten nastier. Your true self?

See, as a liberal that appreciates American values, I actually DO care what happens to others, even if it doesn’t affect me. Your version of liberalism has, as you have just done, outed itself to NOT caring really, about others. Unless it affects you, you do not care. You are both a coward and immoral.

YOU:
But back to Christians and Muslims, when Muslims start trying to gut biology education in the local schools, yeah, I'll be all over that. Last year, when a charter school in Minnesota was blatantly violated the Establishment Clause in promoting Islam, I was highly critical. So was the ACLU. You know, those liberals at the ACLU, who you claim "only attack Christianity"?
ACLU to sue Twin Cities charter school that caters to Muslims | StarTribune.com

Ditto several years back when some Muslim cab drivers were refusing to transport alcohol and dogs. I fully supported the Metropilitan Airports Commission's crackdown on that discriminatiry behavior.
Minnesota's Muslim Cab Drivers Face Crackdown - washingtonpost.com

And as I pointed out before (and which you conveniently ignored), liberal writers on the subject of atheism, from Richard Dawkins to Christopher Hitchens to Daniel Dennett to Sam Harris, are all pointedly critical of Islam.

I never claimed the ACLU only attacks Christianity. Have you confused me with another poster? I also never ignored your comment about liberal writers, because you did not address that to me. If you think I did say those things, please produce the quotes, or apologize and stop putting words into my argument, k?

YOU:
I'm highly critical of all sorts of religious nonsense, your feverish fantasies that the cult you like is the only one that gets my disapproval notwithstanding. But the simple fact is that Christianity has immense political power in this country whereas Islam has almost none. Thus, Christianity does far more meddling and oppressing here because it can do so.

ME:
OK, so now my personal theories of you have been proven correct. For you are not nearly as smart as you think you are. For one, you cannot retain information. I am an atheist, as I mentioned in my very first post to you. You can believe whatever you want, but you are just doing more liberal stereotyping. I am actually laughing here, as I am a lifelong atheist. Read through my posts son, and see where I stared numerous times that I am. I have my own strict moral code. Liberals scream at people all the time about THEIR beliefs…what, you don’t like it when someone does the same to you?
Yes, Christianity has enormous political power in this country, which is irrelevant to my theory and the REALITY of the OP that liberals are too cowardly and hypocrital to criticize Islam and often and harshly as it does Christianity. Your pathetic response is to crawl into some sort of moral cowardice and isolationism and claim that you don’t care about what happens unless it is happening to you.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,733 times
I am agnostic & I do not judge anyone on their particular religious beliefs.
Whatever gives someone comfort & peace in their lives is always a good thing.
I am opposed though to extremists of ANY group.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 AM

ally Posted by speakingtruth
No, I want you to be honest, less bigoted, more objective, and less brainwashed."""

Maybe you should master that first, before you begin to save the world from it...

ME:

I’ve been totally honest, so me where I avoided one question. Also, I think for myself, regardless of the dominant social order. I notice…you don’t like it when you’re double stardards are pointed out and you refuse to address them point by point. In short, I’ve already won. Everything else is gravy baby.

"""" That's what I want. You should have picked that up by now.

As it happens, your obsession with Christianity, either blaming it or not giving it credit, reveal you further."""

What obsession? So YOU think I have to embrace christianity or I'm obsessed? That's wacko!

ME:
Ah….you know you’ve lost the argument when you put words in someone’s mouth to avoid the true discussion, and direct questions. Show me where I ever said that you have to embrace Christianity. I did say liberals are hypocrital when they don’t criticize Islam for WORSE infractions than those that they criticize Christianity for.

Nice try, but I’m way too sharp than to let you get away with running away from the argument. I know your pride must be killing you right now.

""" Also, I am an athiest, and I can see religous bigotry when I see it. """

AMAZING! REALLY! WOW! (So can I, and other people can, too!!!Sorry, you're not the only one.)
ME:

So…are you going to just admit that you can’t provide a consistent, logical reason as to why you criticize Christianity for lesser infractions than you give a free pass to Islam?

""Again, the fact that you have avoided direct questions shows that your position is weak.
As it does happen, there IS a problem in Islamic societies in being FAR more misogynnistic and homophobic than western Christian societies. """

OK (did you see the "OK"?)....now does that make christians better people because Muslims are so bad??????

ME:
Again, your pathetic attempts to put words in mouth, or misprepresent my argument only reveals your desperation in this argument. Read my post above. Others do, and you lose more credibility every time you try and mis-chararterize one’s argument.

""The truth hurts, I know."""

W H O exactly, does it hurt? I'm not Muslim so why would I care ???
I'm not christian so why would I care.

Can Y O U answer...who does it hurt????????

ME:
Actually, I’m the one answering and not avoiding. And your last bit above, reveals you. It’s odd…you reveal that you really do NOT care about the plight of others, and thus, lose the moral high ground. You claim to not like the oppression of Christians, but then, when it comes down to it…you really DON’T care, because it doesn’t affect you. Oh, who does the extremity in Islam hurt? TRY THE WOMEN IN ISLAMIC SOCIETIES!

That is…if you actually care about women. Apparently, you do not.

Hint for you: at this point, objective readers can tell you revealed yourself. You lost. Sorry.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,157 times
I pick on all religions equally.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
So, they carry on within double standards, criticizing Christians for things like homophobia, whereas the homophobia and general intolerance are FAR worse in the Islamic world.

Liberals know it too.
We don't live in the [majority] Islamic world. Neither do you. So let's drop that silliness.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
We don't live in the [majority] Islamic world. Neither do you. So let's drop that silliness.
That is a very weak way to try and slide out of the highlight on liberal hypocrisy. Fact check: are there not women and gay people subject to extreme violence based on an extreme reading of a religion? Do liberals not criticize western societies the world over? Are there not Muslims here in America, SOME of whom practice honor killings?

Answer that and then get back to me.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:59 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Atheists do not attack only Christians or Christianity. It is because the vast majority in the US are self-proclaimed Christians that they feel more persecuted than others. It is entirely a matter of perception. If atheists were allowed in other nations that were predominately Muslim, and atheists were allowed to voice their opinion freely, then Muslims would think atheists only target them, and they would be equally wrong.
You actually had gotten something right for once, but then spoiled it.

There are tons of atheists in predominantly Muslim countries. Here's one place to start looking, if you have the time:

Category:Communist parties in the Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is almost certain that pan-Arab nationalist leaders like Saddam Hussein, Hafez al-Assad, Gamel Abdel Nasser, as well as lesser figures like Yassir Arafat were effectively non-believers in any religion. Pervez Musharraf was a whiskey connoisseur. Arafat was a well-known bisexual and Stalinist. Hussein once delivered a Quran written in blood to a group of devout Muslims (to those unfamiliar with Middle Eastern protocol, this is the equivalent of writing the Bible in cow-dung.)

Yes, it's true that freedom of speech is not as developed in the Middle East as it is in the United States, and that is something we can truly be proud of. But let's stop the utterly cartoonish depictions of the Middle East, please.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,840,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
curious. I'm an agnostic, so I don't really care, but I'm just wondering. is it because being tolerant of "other" religions is considered liberal? is it because it's known as "christian" conservative in this country?
i beleive because christians attack athiest whenever an athiest run for something that throw that out there like its the DEVIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies