Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 AM

239 posts, read 895,257 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of towns on the east coast and in California where white people are rare I am starting to notice a white flight from the suburban areas of Northern VA. The number of white people in places like New York, San Francisco, and the Washington Metro area is dropping fast being replaced by immigrants.

I have also noticed a large number of postings on this board and others from ethnic minorities talking about how they are so happy that their community is getting more diverse and complaining about towns that are majority white. (Translation: I wish those dam white people would move out so we (the specific ethnic group of the poster) can now be a majority. It is chic now days to be an ethnic minority and out of favor to be white)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would whites ask that question? There is hardly a city or town where whites are not present in large numbers. But there are cities where for instance there are hardly any AA's. If a black person gets a job offer from a town in Montana, I can understand when they are worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Let's not forget about the middle-class white supremacist teen gangs that start to form around freshman year in high-school. They prefer a different method of crime. Spreading the word of hatred (i.e., racism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc.), doing drugs, and dealing drugs in the protection of their upper middle class houses. Let's not forget them. They haven't been caught yet. And when they are it's probation. And probation records aren't public information. When they impregnate their white girlfriends they usually have the money to afford an abortion.

Your posts in this thread are really beyond pathetic. They have the protection of their houses? They haven't been caught yet? So there are no minority youth offenders that haven't been caught yet?
What do you think happens when the parents in that upper middle class house catch their kids doing these things vs. the ghetto parents? If anything maybe the ghetto parents are upset that jr. used their crack pipe without permission.

Question: Are any crimianl records public information for the juvenile offenders that you describe? Oh wait I get it- only the white youths are protected there. Ok- feel free to proceed with your weak excuse making. This post is so completely asinine that I can't wait to see if you can top it!

Last edited by Rick Roma; 09-03-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You make it sound as if they are a disgrace. Aptitude is not on a social hierarchy. I graduated from a good university. I have a master's degree. I graduated from high school. I didn't like a lot of my schooling. And I was deliberately held back by some socially retarded classmates one horrific semester in college. I thought I was dealing with "The Children of the Corn." They had the same attitude as you. Let's put out the class ceiling and a layer of shame to keep them from thinking their differences are good.

Everybody has their own style and aptitudes. I'm sick of the social stratification. And the only comment you made that I believe is good is when you stated that those who do not want to attend college can do a separate path of learning. That is good. However, it doesn't mean they are inferior. We know in college there is a social hierarchy. Engineering and Medical School compete for top of the bill. Accounting is second and everything else falls to the waste side in the perception of the top learning class. Despite their judgmental beliefs we know that all disciplines and aptitudes are of value.

If you allowed your classmates to hold you back you are pretty weak. I don't know too many peole who didn't get dumped on one way or another in school. I had my share of trouble with other kids. You have to stand up for yourself. Once I dished out a few beetings to would be bullies it ended pretty fast. Guess what? Some of it was racially related. We had kids bussed in from the inner city Boston schools and they caused quite a few issues. Once I put them in their place they moved on to easier targets....

Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Explain that to everyone on individual state CD boards who ask "what town can an Indian, Asian, AA, African, Latino move to in order to live in a diverse town" which translates to "where do people from my heritage/skin color/culture live so I can move there and feel comfy"? God forbid some white person ask the same question.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You know, I usually think all this pc nonsense is lame and forced and entirely useless.

But I realized something about the whole 'diversity' thing the other day that came from my own experience. My parents came to the U.S. from India in the late 60s. I was born here in the 70s and we went overseas to live because my dad got a job with an international oil company. So we are light brown and noticeably not white.

Overseas, we went to an international school (in Jakarta). There were asians, australians, europeans, and americans. We just thought of ourselves as americans (my parents were citizens and I was born in NY). All the kids were from wealthy, educated families...there was little fighting or misbehaving...I don't remember any race problems.

Moved to California (while still school-aged) and the difference was overwhelming. I have to think because these kids had been so little exposed to people of different cultures, they immediately honed in on the differences.
Then I moved to Texas and all of a sudden, it wasn't a big deal anymore.

When I walk around my affluent 95% white/5% asian neighborhood today, I don't think about race. Because I am used to being around all those different races. I literally forget that I am not white or someone else is white or whatever. Because I grew up and went to school with a bunch of white and asian kids. However, when I see a black person, I notice. I never grew up with those kids. Not in Indonesia, California, or Texas. They are not just background in my head.

I was in Germany recently and my friend asked me after a few weeks - "Do you feel weird being the only non-white person in this town?" I was totally surprised because it had never occurred to me, and then I understood why everyone would give me a look when I walked down the street. I was completely oblivious.

So maybe the point of diversity is familiarization to the point where people don't automatically pick up on differences and focus on those...instead, if we are all so used to being around all different kinds of people, we forget the way they look on the outside and we focus on more important things.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Excellent post stan4. I'd rep ya if I could but got to spread it around a bit more.
Here in America we go out of our way to point out differences and then decide that one group needs to be favored over the other in order to achieve some sort of balance and that just makes everyone perceive the group getting favors must be inferior in some way.

So we have done this to ourselves with our own stupid PC rules.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I usually think all this pc nonsense is lame and forced and entirely useless.

But I realized something about the whole 'diversity' thing the other day that came from my own experience. My parents came to the U.S. from India in the late 60s. I was born here in the 70s and we went overseas to live because my dad got a job with an international oil company. So we are light brown and noticeably not white.

Overseas, we went to an international school (in Jakarta). There were asians, australians, europeans, and americans. We just thought of ourselves as americans (my parents were citizens and I was born in NY). All the kids were from wealthy, educated families...there was little fighting or misbehaving...I don't remember any race problems.

Moved to California (while still school-aged) and the difference was overwhelming. I have to think because these kids had been so little exposed to people of different cultures, they immediately honed in on the differences.
Then I moved to Texas and all of a sudden, it wasn't a big deal anymore.

When I walk around my affluent 95% white/5% asian neighborhood today, I don't think about race. Because I am used to being around all those different races. I literally forget that I am not white or someone else is white or whatever. Because I grew up and went to school with a bunch of white and asian kids. However, when I see a black person, I notice. I never grew up with those kids. Not in Indonesia, California, or Texas. They are not just background in my head.

I was in Germany recently and my friend asked me after a few weeks - "Do you feel weird being the only non-white person in this town?" I was totally surprised because it had never occurred to me, and then I understood why everyone would give me a look when I walked down the street. I was completely oblivious.

So maybe the point of diversity is familiarization to the point where people don't automatically pick up on differences and focus on those...instead, if we are all so used to being around all different kinds of people, we forget the way they look on the outside and we focus on more important things.
That would indeed make sense. The problem is that "Diversity" highlights differences while you seem to emphasize commonality.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
A bi-racial person who hates diversity? This could be the subject for a new book. It makes you wonder which part of himself he hates most. Does it not?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM

344 posts, read 199,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Do you have links or are we supposed to take your word for it?
Actually it's true. 48.9% of African immigrants hold at least a bachelors degree according the US Census in 2000. African immigrants comprised 4% of Blacks in the United States at the time. Their children also had similar education attainment rates.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM

344 posts, read 199,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Excellent post stan4. I'd rep ya if I could but got to spread it around a bit more.
Here in America we go out of our way to point out differences and then decide that one group needs to be favored over the other in order to achieve some sort of balance and that just makes everyone perceive the group getting favors must be inferior in some way.

So we have done this to ourselves with our own stupid PC rules.
The thing is that those "stupid PC rules" actually make it less salient of a point. Those "stupid PC rules" enable equally qualified minorities an equal footing, because we do have a history of making a big deal of trivial differences. Sure there are obviously some less than stellar "rules". However, some have made a TREMENDOUS difference. Making it illegal to hire on the basis of race is one of those "stupid PC rules" that made a huge impact on race relations in the US. Not to mention anti-discriminatory practices in real-estate. It was not too long ago that segregation practices were law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies