Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree. Committing suicide is a very selfish act and he should be held liable for any out of pocket expenses that this woman has to spend to replace her car. And for any emotional traumas also.

And his family and friends ought be pissed at the jumper and his attempt at suicide, not this poor woman upset that her car was damaged. What a bunch of losers.

Nothing like being a concern troll for this fat woman's car. She should actually learn to drive less and walk more, it would do her good. But like many Americans, the thought of not driving really "upsets" them.

I feel for this poor woman. I sure hope she gets her car repaired soon. God bless her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
The point is that this suicidal jumper damaged someone else's property while doing his thoughtless and selfish act. And he should be made to pay compensation for his actions.

Meanwhile his family and friends consider his survival a miracle and some act of god... so probably they are still thanking god for saving this guy. Why should they be mad that this woman is upset that her car got damaged in the process? Instead they should be thanking her, not their god, and sending her donations towards her car repair, not wanting to lynch her.

I'm so sorry that this jumper didn't land on his own car or one belonging to his family or friends...

Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's brilliant ... a complete stranger is supposed to care about this guy's life, though he himself obviously didn't?

Sure, it's a bit insensitive and she probably should have kept the feelings to herself, but if I were to be completely honest, I'd be pissed too if some knucklehead crushed my car, given that it was a deliberate act, and not an accident.

It could have just as easily been another person he landed on and killed ... or the car could have had occupants that could have been injured or killed ....

It is this guy who demonstrated no concern for either himself or others ... not the woman with the crushed car.
i have little compassion for the guy who decided to try and take his own life. it was a conscious decision that he made. he deserves what he gets. the woman and her car were innocent bystanders. if it happened to me i would be quite vocal about it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I feel bad for the guy. Do you know how depressing it must be to fail at suicide?
perhaps he should have tried the al qaeda suicide hot line??

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What's sad is how insensitive and uncaring most Americans are.
i hope you are talking about the guy that tried to commit suicide.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

i hope you are talking about the guy that tried to commit suicide.

Lost in everyones concern for this poor womans car is the fact that someone
survived a 39 story plunge.

I hope her insurance provided her with a loaner car, a NICE loaner, one with leather seats and a nice stereo (maybe a convertible, or even a fully loaded SUV). Poor lady.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,215,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A whining New Jersey woman's gripe that her precious sports car was destroyed by a suicidal man's 40-story fall triggered a venomous outpouring from his friends, neighbors and fellow New Yorkers yesterday.

"The damage to the car -- it saved his life, and that's what you should care about, not your car!" fumed Alyssa Laib, 23, whose friend, Tom Magill, 22, survived the plunge Tuesday from a West End Avenue rooftop when he crash-landed onto Maria McCormack's 2008 Dodge Charger.

Read more: Car owner's gripes about loss of Dodge Charger in suicidal plunge spark flurry of outrage - NYPOST.com

good grief
this is typical of the self absorbed society we are becoming
no regard for life, it is all ME,ME,ME

Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,215,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's brilliant ... a complete stranger is supposed to care about this guy's life, though he himself obviously didn't?

Sure, it's a bit insensitive and she probably should have kept the feelings to herself, but if I were to be completely honest, I'd be pissed too if some knucklehead crushed my car, given that it was a deliberate act, and not an accident.

It could have just as easily been another person he landed on and killed ... or the car could have had occupants that could have been injured or killed ....

It is this guy who demonstrated no concern for either himself or others ... not the woman with the crushed car.

I have known friends that have commited sucide
do you REALLY think someone in this hopeless state of mind can even comprehend reality at all??

Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Lost in everyones concern for this poor womans car is the fact that someone
survived a 39 story plunge.

I hope her insurance provided her with a loaner car, a NICE loaner, one with leather seats and a nice stereo (maybe a convertible, or even a fully loaded SUV). Poor lady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
this is typical of the self absorbed society we are becoming
no regard for life, it is all ME,ME,ME
yeah, some selfish bastard decides to commit suicide, but even fails at that, and in the process damages some innocent bystanders car, and somehow we have to feel sorry for the guy trying to commit suicide? sorry that dont cut it with me. if you are going to commit suicide, do the job right, and do it where no one else gets hurt in anyway.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,850,635 times
Quote:
Nothing like being a concern troll for this fat woman's car. She should actually learn to drive less and walk more, it would do her good. But like many Americans, the thought of not driving really "upsets" them.

I feel for this poor woman. I sure hope she gets her car repaired soon. God bless her.
This type of comment was typical of the comments on the article website.......somehow SHE was the one being flamed, when she was the totally innocent victim of this guy's selfish act.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
This type of comment was typical of the comments on the article website.......somehow SHE was the one being flamed, when she was the totally innocent victim of this guy's selfish act.
Poor woman.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:34 AM

507 posts, read 679,089 times
Suicide might be a selfish act, but it's a selfish act that does not take place in a bubble. When someone dies (however they die), it impacts the lives of others. I'm sorry this woman lost her car, but what about the mother who might have lost her son if this guy died? The woman who lost her car has three children. If one of her children had decided to do the same, she probably would have given ten Chargers to save that life. A car is ultimately replaceable, a suicidal person is not.

People need to have compassion. No one attempts suicide because they are thinking rationally. They do it because they are seriously disturbed. You can't attempt rational arguments for an irrational situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies