Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then where is the compassion for humans? there was a survey taken once, the question was;

lets say you are walking down the beach, and you come across two beings that are struggling to get to shore, but both are losing the effort. you have time to save only one of them. the two beings are your family dog and a total human stranger. which would you save?

strangely enough the answers fell equally in three catagories;

the dog 33%
the human 33%
do nothing 33%

that means that fully 2/3 of the respondents would either save the dog or do nothing. so again, where is the compassion for human beings?

i fully realize that you can have compassion for both animals and humans, the problem is that too many people have either more compassion for animals or no compassion at all.
I am laughing because I might save the dog over the human.

Depending on who the human is, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
This is truly disgusting. Be warned not to watch the video if these things upset you. Only posting to create more awareness to these horrible acts of cruelty. How people could do this to innocent animals is beyond me. These people should be placed in cages and treated in the same manner in which they did to the animals. How can people do things like this? It's beyond sad that people could do these acts.

Professional Laboratory and Research Services Investigation | PETA.org
Sounds truly disgusting.

Sadly, animal testing is a necessary evil. No one likes to think about it, or contemplate the lives of these animals, but in some situations their use is imperative. Nay sayers will say they are no longer needed, but that just isn't true. Vivisection is a slippery slope, and hopefully one day soon these animals will not be used. But in the meantime obviously these organizations need a rabid group like PETA to keep them in check.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sounds truly disgusting.

Sadly, animal testing is a necessary evil. No one likes to think about it, or contemplate the lives of these animals, but in some situations their use is imperative. Nay sayers will say they are no longer needed, but that just isn't true. Vivisection is a slippery slope, and hopefully one day soon these animals will not be used. But in the meantime obviously these organizations need a rabid group like PETA to keep them in check.
I cannot see any reason why an innocent cat or dog would need to be sprayed with bleach. The mere thought of it (I didn't watch the video) is almost enough to make me vomit. I do not buy any product that endorses or uses animals for testing.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There are countless people being tortured everyday across the world, and human rights being violated. Where's the outrage and compassion for them?
You can't have both? That you assume they're mutually exclusive says a lot (about you that is)

eta: no, I didn't read all 3 pages, the first was enough.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Sounds truly disgusting.

Disagree. If humans use the products or benefit from the medications, then humans can endure the testing. That's only fair. Animal testing is an evil -- not necessary in the least.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Thoroughly disgusting. People get paid for that? That's a job someone goes to on a daily basis?

They are sadistic psychopaths to have that job. I hope they're all sideswiped by an 18 wheeler on their way home from work.

Made me nauseous I could only watch 1/4 of that video.

There's a freegin' reason why medicines have an expiration date, otherwise why the hell bother putting one on the bottle. There's no reason to subject poor defenseless animals to being tortured by having their teeth pulled out with pliers after given EXPIRED pain meds!

What the hell kind of crap is that?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I cannot see any reason why an innocent cat or dog would need to be sprayed with bleach. The mere thought of it (I didn't watch the video) is almost enough to make me vomit. I do not buy any product that endorses or uses animals for testing.
I thought from the article that the bleach spraying was unadulterated cruelty, not part of the testing. Perhaps I misread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Disagree. If humans use the products or benefit from the medications, then humans can endure the testing. That's only fair. Animal testing is an evil -- not necessary in the least.
In an ideal world perhaps. Animals are used less and less for stupid reasons such as cosmetics, but for drugs, or medical and surgical procedures, there are not many effective substitutes yet. Not many volunteers would sign up for human trials in the early developmental stages in the drug industry.

Most specialized physicians and nurses perfect their technique on animals. Fewer and fewer people consent to having student nurses and doctors care for them, so there are few alternatives. When I delivered both my children I had flocks of student nurses, student midwives, and residents around me. Best medical care ever, but the sad truth was very few people will consent to that. They've got to learn somehow.

When I got my various certifications for Pediatric Trauma, Pediatric and Neonatal Medical Transport, etc, we used cats and rabbits for practice. Would you rather the person inserting a chest drain into your baby had practiced on cats and rabbits, or never practiced on any living creature. I absolutely hated doing it. I would go home and cry, but what would you suggest?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 854 times
Default Reprehensible

As quoted by Harvey Danger, "Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding." This couldn't apply to anyone more than rbohm and theunbrainwashed. I have never seen such ignorance as the comments you 2 have made. Just because someone has empathy for the defenseless doesn't mean that they care for no one and more than humans. Why do you have such a problem with someone caring for a living creature when they are being totured? No living creature should feel fear and pain. To think you find this acceptable treatment is truly disgusting. These poor animals are already going through enough with the tests they have to endure and then they have to be treated in the way they are in this video is unacceptable. No one should have to die this kind of death. This lab needs to be shutdown and the workers need to be charged for animal abuse.

Maybe one day this world can progress with the way any living creature is treated - human or animal. Hopefully people will start to educate themselves with the facts in front of their face instead of remaining closed-minded and choosing to believe the illusions in their head. But as long as there are idiots in the world like rbohm and the unbrainwashed, this will never happen.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
I thought from the article that the bleach spraying was unadulterated cruelty, not part of the testing. Perhaps I misread.
It was unadulterated cruelty - one that makes me not hungry even for the delicious dinner my husband made.

Quote:
In an ideal world perhaps. Animals are used less and less for stupid reasons such as cosmetics, but for drugs, or medical and surgical procedures, there are not many effective substitutes yet. Not many volunteers would sign up for human trials in the early developmental stages in the drug industry.
But subjecting an animal that doesn't fully understand what is going to that?

Quote:
Most specialized physicians and nurses perfect their technique on animals. Fewer and fewer people consent to having student nurses and doctors care for them, so there are few alternatives. When I delivered both my children I had flocks of student nurses, student midwives, and residents around me. Best medical care ever, but the sad truth was very few people will consent to that. They've got to learn somehow.
When I had a case of Cat Scratch Disease with partial facial paralysis, I had plenty of students wanting to be a part of it. And I was fine with it.

Quote:
When I got my various certifications for Pediatric Trauma, Pediatric and Neonatal Medical Transport, etc, we used cats and rabbits for practice. Would you rather the person inserting a chest drain into your baby had practiced on cats and rabbits, or never practiced on any living creature. I absolutely hated doing it. I would go home and cry, but what would you suggest?
I would rather the person have tested with a dead human body than a cat or rabbit - unless you were studying to be a vet.. at which case you would need to practice on dead (inside a whine) cat or rabbit. Any job or certification that had me in tears or doing something that hurt an animal - not worth my time.

The people of this facility - all of them should be prosecuted for their actions. It pains me to even think of the kind of torture they put those babies through.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I would rather the person have tested with a dead human body than a cat or rabbit - unless you were studying to be a vet.. at which case you would need to practice on dead (inside a whine) cat or rabbit. Any job or certification that had me in tears or doing something that hurt an animal - not worth my time.
Cadavers are useful in certain specific teaching situations, but not all. In the situation of babies and children, very few people will donate the bodies to science, so there are very few learning opportunities (macabre subject). And stating whether or not you would do it, hard to really say until you're in that position. Not something I would ever have imagined myself doing, that's for sure.

Quote:
The people of this facility - all of them should be prosecuted for their actions. It pains me to even think of the kind of torture they put those babies through.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies