Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times

Advertisements

Look at the Muslim reaction to some kook in Florida burning copies of the Koran?
They sure have a different standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Why are these Holy Warriors allowed to be zealous in the defence of their religion and national heritage, but Christians, Jews and Westerners are not?
Christians and Jews do not bend the knee to satan, the ruler of the earth (Luke 4:5-6, John 12:31).

Quote:
I have equal hatred for all religious nutbags who are stuck in the Middle Ages.
Do people really have a choice?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,375 times
AP will not distribute 'images or audio' of burning Qurans - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
They are ignorant, uneducated masses whipped up into a violent frenzy by their leaders for political ends.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The questions is: Is it worth the provocation? Especially when we need these people to contain the Taliban, et al.
Probably not and you're right.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
And aren't you annoyed by this? Or do you just non chalantly accept it as no big deal?
For starters, I do not get annoyed over what is simply true. The falling piano will crush me whether I'm annoyed or not. The right thing to do is not stand under the piano and saw at the ropes holding it up.

Look... I have nothing good to say about Islam. I have read the Qur'an cover to cover three times, and I know my way around it better than 99.9% of non-Muslims. I have read as many of the Hadith as I could get my hands on. I have read the Siraat as recorded by the earliest authorities. And I have debated Islam with Muslims on their own forums, managing to get myself banned from several of them in the process. Islam has been a disaster for humanity in general and for Muslims in particular.

But since there are a billion or so Muslims and they're not going to go away anytime soon, it seems to me that being "annoyed" would be the most flaccid, pointless, futile response possible. Well, perhaps second to deliberately trying to offend them because I was a publicity wh*re.

Islam is not an existential threat to us. But why would we go out of our way to invite even more terrorism by being deliberately provocative?

This guy in Florida may as well be working for Osama Bin Laden. He is the sort of recruiting tool for Al Qaeda that could not be bought... outside of the decision to invade another Muslim country somewhere.

If we push a tenth of one percent of Muslims into the terrorist camp by deliberately pissing them off, we have just created one million new terrorists.

Yes... there are different standards. And I am stunned by the desire of so many in this thread to adopt theirs.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
These are not rational people and the slightest offense will set them in a tizzy of violent behavior. They are nuts in my opinion and have little to live for except the beheadings of infidels. This pastor really does not have to burn anything, he has more than proven whatever point he is trying to make by merely suggesting that this "holy"? book is burned. He should leave it alone before our embassy workers are killed and our troops harmed.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
So he backs out of the plan to burn the Koran.

http://twitter.com/miamiherald

Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
So he backs out of the plan to burn the Koran.

The Miami Herald (miamiherald) on Twitter
ya beat me

BBC News - US pastor Terry Jones cancels Koran burning

Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Because most American's could give a damn about hurting someone elses feelings. This is a positive trait to have. Unless you're a liberal - then hurt feelings are political capital. What better way to show you're a liberal then to forget that you're an American and coddle a religion with hurt feelings? Because that's exactly what's happening right now - the anti-religious Left are teaming up with Big Islam to condemn the Chrisitan faith once again. Funny how the mosque controversy draws out cries of "religious freedom" but we dont' hear these same clowns saying the same for these Christian zealots.

The transparency and hypocrisy is nauseating.
This has nothing to do with Islam. Radical Christians are jealous that we won't put up with their outrage and shenanigans. We are free to offend them with impunity and they see that as a double-standard. However, that's the price you pay for living in a free country. If you want blasphemy laws you should live elsewhere. They have really strong ones in Saudi Arabia.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Good. But to the Islamic radicals burning our flag right now....I am whacking the computer screen at you with the bottom of my shoe right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies