Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 18, 1781

Can it be that a pure deist would say a thing like this? I keep wondering how progressives have convinced each other that that this man wasn't a Christian. I guess real spinning of words is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
But the Constitution is a purely secular document. Whether Jefferson was a Christian is of little more relevance than the fact the he was white or male.

This is no more a Christian country than it is a white male country. Our founding documents have made certain of that.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
This Nation is founded on the beliefs in the Judeo-Christian religion, but the deniers wish it wasn't, so they lie to themselves and try to convince everyone else that God was never a part of the Founders belief in freedoms in the Consitution. Notice how you can not even find ALL of Washington's farewell speech in school books, or when referenced by the current polical left?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But the Constitution is a purely secular document. Whether Jefferson was a Christian is of little more relevance than the fact the he was white or male.

This is no more a Christian country than it is a white male country. Our founding documents have made certain of that.
That one tiny part of the 1st Amendment has been taken advantage of by the spin and twist of progressives toward it.

Tonight I saw a video about David Barton taking people through the Capitol building and explaining so much about some of the pictures in the main hall and some history about the building that progressives hate to hear and will make all kinds of noise about. I bet you couldn't watch half of the 10 minute video because you would have to get out your hate of David Barton. A historian who knows more about the history of the Revolution and beginning years than any progressive I know of but is called a liar by progressives.

Are you, by any chance, one of those people?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 18, 1781

Can it be that a pure deist would say a thing like this? I keep wondering how progressives have convinced each other that that this man wasn't a Christian. I guess real spinning of words is needed.
What in the quote you post convinced you that the God Jeffereson was speaking of was the Christian God? Clearly Jefferson there evidences his belief in a god, thereby proving himself a Deist, but I see nothing in that statement that identifies which god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
This Nation is founded on the beliefs in the Judeo-Christian religion, but the deniers wish it wasn't, so they lie to themselves and try to convince everyone else that God was never a part of the Founders belief in freedoms in the Consitution. Notice how you can not even find ALL of Washington's farewell speech in school books, or when referenced by the current polical left?
More conspiracy theories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
Well by gar, prog, I would provide at least as many quotes from Jefferson as you have here but it would do no good. You would still be a progressive and trying to use quotes like these to prove something, whatever it is.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

People constantly throw out of context words, sentences and paragraphs, to further their propaganda/agenda, of fear mongering and false contradictions, personal and otherwise.

It never disappears. But it is put in it's place from time to time.

And the hand on the clock, gently ticks.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Well by gar, prog, I would provide at least as many quotes from Jefferson as you have here but it would do no good. You would still be a progressive and trying to use quotes like these to prove something, whatever it is.
I think I already proved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies