Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,328,676 times

Advertisements

I often hear radio commentators and sometimes people on here say that 'America is really divided now days' 'Expecially during these times'...

Hmm, that's news to me...cause once again, when I turn off the radio or tv and quit allowing others to forecast my mood and feelings....all seems just fine...

If people are divided, I really don't see it in daily public life and at work...

I see the same friends still being friends, the same co-workers still laughing and telling korny jokes...

I just don't see the divide...

Me personally, the same people I loved and got along with before Obama got elected, I still love and get a long with...people of all ethnic backgrounds and colors...

Heck, my boss is Euro American, and invited me and another out to their house for a cook out...the guys like a retro hippie or something who loves Bob Marley...

Seems to me there's two worlds...well 3...

The one that exists on talk radio....the one that exists on tv, and then the real one...that you and I exist in away from the media...

And in the real every day world...I just don't see no division between Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
The only difference in anything during "these times" is the media. If you don't pay attention then nothing much has changed, if you do then you think we are on the verge of another civil war and act accordingly.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The only difference in anything during "these times" is the media. If you don't pay attention then nothing much has changed, if you do then you think we are on the verge of another civil war and act accordingly.
I totally agree...I hope others realize that...

Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I totally agree...I hope others realize that...
I hope so too. But many live in media drenched lives and become very antagonistic about what they hear and lack the critical thinking skills to research the myriad angles and viewpoints for themselves. Media bias is still a concept that many Americans unfortunately still do not seem to understand.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
that is only because you now get alot of view points now that the liberal big three do not domiante the news and the internet lets oridinary citizens express their view and its listened to. There is no need for the masive demonstration of the 60's by thsoe unemployed. the workig public can do it on the net or sending e-mails quickly to congress.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,204,955 times
I don't feel divided at all, get along with people of all political tilts we all basically want the same ****.

I often wonder if extremely partisan wackos on this forum are like that in real life or if this is an alternate reality for them where common sense can be cast aside.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 PM

952 posts, read 943,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't feel divided at all, get along with people of all political tilts we all basically want the same ****.

I often wonder if extremely partisan wackos on this forum are like that in real life or if this is an alternate reality for them where common sense can be cast aside.

The problems and issues surrounding us are genuine...and grave.

Many don't feel divided in "real" life, because little of the full consequences have yet to be weathered.

Those who aren't pizzed, engaged, or concerned....aren't paying attention.

The direction of the Nation will assuredly impact lives, and provide a "reality" soon enough, where divisiveness...and blame, will be readily evident.

and the formerly indifferent and clueless will wonder: How and WTF happened?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
The problems and issues surrounding us are genuine...and grave.

Many don't feel divided in "real" life, because little of the full consequences have yet to be weathered.

Those who aren't pizzed, engaged, or concerned....aren't paying attention.

The direction of the Nation will assuredly impact lives, and provide a "reality" soon enough, where divisiveness...and blame, will be readily evident.

and the formerly indifferent and clueless will wonder: How and WTF happened?
I am surrounded by indifferent and clueless people and you are right they will wake up and say WTF happened. Example, when they raised the cig tax to fund the Schip program my Friends were astonished when they went to the store and payed more for cigs. They did not know what hit them, some were blaming the state.
I informed the dolts that the tax has been talked about for over a year and it was not the state but the federal gvt and they were paying for HC for someone else"s children. the main response was "Wow I did not know they did that, when did they do that " I could go on and on but the point is there is a lot of people that are totally oblivious on what is going on around them.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

I have been on this forum for a good hot minute and I think many definitely use it as an alternate reality where they get to say things that nobody would ever tolerate hearing them say in their "real life."

Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
I am surrounded by indifferent and clueless people and you are right they will wake up and say WTF happened. Example, when they raised the cig tax to fund the Schip program my Friends were astonished when they went to the store and payed more for cigs. They did not know what hit them, some were blaming the state.
I informed the dolts that the tax has been talked about for over a year and it was not the state but the federal gvt and they were paying for HC for someone else"s children. the main response was "Wow I did not know they did that, when did they do that " I could go on and on but the point is there is a lot of people that are totally oblivious on what is going on around them.
The question wasn't whether or not 'things are messed up'...

The question was, do you feel 'divided' or 'angry' at others 'because of'??

And all I'm saying is I don't, nor do many others...

That whole 'blame' and 'demonizing' of others only seems to get amplified in the media, whether radio or tv or internet...but in real everyday life, I see induvisuals getting along great, and working things out together...not blaming...but helping....

But if you never turn off the radio or tv, you would never know that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies