Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Yes. Even were you not born here, you may still be a citizen. Questioning citizens as potential non-citizens (though they are not under arrest) violates the rights of everyone. Why fight wars to "protect our freedoms" when conservatives at home want to abolish those freedoms on a race-by-race basis? Thankfully the Constitution was penned by smarter people than the current leader of Arizona, or the people who support this asinine law.

"Why am I being pulled over, officer?" "Because you don't look just like me."
That is not the law. I suggest you go read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Think about this when it comes to the administration suing Arizona.....

FATHOM THE HYPOCRISY THAT OBAMA WANTS EVERY CITIZEN TO PROVE THAT THEY ARE INSURED, BUT HE HAS A PROBLEM WITH REQUIRING IMMIGRANTS HAVING TO PROVE THAT THEY ARE HERE LEGALLY.

MAKE SENSE?

No, because you're wrong about "HE HAS A PROBLEM WITH REQUIRING IMMIGRANTS HAVING TO PROVE THAT THEY ARE HERE LEGALLY."

Bet it seemed deep at the time though!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,211,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is it backwards day and I didn't get the memo?

The federal government is empowered with securing the borders by a piece of paper called the "Constitution".
And "Securing the border" has literally nothing to do with questioning the citizenship of individuals based on their appearance. The "Constitution" as you put in quotes, protects EVERYONE from that type of military state nonsense. I guess backwards Arizona didn't get that memo. And neither did you.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,443 times
Quote:
And "Securing the border" has literally nothing to do with questioning the citizenship of individuals based on their appearance. The "Constitution" as you put in quotes, protects EVERYONE from that type of military state nonsense. I guess backwards Arizona didn't get that memo. And neither did you.
Anyone pulled over for a reason regardless of race should be required to properly identify themselves.

Wait, we already do.

So, illegals should get a pass because they're illegal?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM

952 posts, read 943,477 times
Quote:
Suing the state is the right thing to do. If conservative gun owners were being hassled by police every day because they "looked" like they might be secretly armed and dangerous because they were white, they would be up in arms (literally). Because that would be discrimination.

...as well they should be, if they were legal citizens.

If they were Illegals,

they should not only be hassled---but arrested, jailed and/or deported...without the sightest regard, of how "up in arms" they would be.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:
Go ahead and slap yourself on the forehead again. Nothing in there.

Obama wants every citizen to prove that they are insured...... <point 1>
A single Arizona governor wants to shred our Constitutional protections by forcing the police to ask people for their papers, based not on criminal activity, but on appearance. <point 2>

Those two points are not connected. There is no hypocrisy. I disagree entirely with the Obama fake Health Care giveaway to private insurers. It's far too right-wing for this lib. I also disagree with the Arizona law which violates the Constitutional protection of every American.

Those two are not related. Obama is responsible for the first, not the second.

Suing the state is the right thing to do. If conservative gun owners were being hassled by police every day because they "looked" like they might be secretly armed and dangerous because they were white, they would be up in arms (literally). Because that would be discrimination.
I got a speeding ticket the other night....the Officer asked me for MY papers, DL, Ins Card, Registration.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Yes. Even were you not born here, you may still be a citizen. Questioning citizens as potential non-citizens (though they are not under arrest) violates the rights of everyone. Why fight wars to "protect our freedoms" when conservatives at home want to abolish those freedoms on a race-by-race basis? Thankfully the Constitution was penned by smarter people than the current leader of Arizona, or the people who support this asinine law.

"Why am I being pulled over, officer?" "Because you don't look just like me."
Apparently the Constitution was penned by people who intended to protect the country's borders, without question. No papers required, just protection.

To hell with papers... where's the protection?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:
Go ahead and slap yourself on the forehead again. Nothing in there.

Obama wants every citizen to prove that they are insured...... <point 1>
A single Arizona governor wants to shred our Constitutional protections by forcing the police to ask people for their papers, based not on criminal activity, but on appearance. <point 2>

Those two points are not connected. There is no hypocrisy. I disagree entirely with the Obama fake Health Care giveaway to private insurers. It's far too right-wing for this lib. I also disagree with the Arizona law which violates the Constitutional protection of every American.

Those two are not related. Obama is responsible for the first, not the second.

The above post shows why liberalism is a mental disease.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,443 times
So as I understand the situation. . .

An illegal gets pulled over in the US and all he's gotta produce is a US Constitution?

Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,211,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Anyone pulled over for a reason regardless of race should be required to properly identify themselves.

Wait, we already do.

So, illegals should get a pass because they're illegal?
Nope. Who said anything about a pass? You did.

Our current system of laws is fine. No reason to create a new, discriminatory law, when current laws allow police to pull you over for various things like tail-lights and ask for your identification. This law goes above and beyond that. If it was just the same ol' thing, why create a duplicate law? Because it's not the same, it's an unconstitutional commandment to discriminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies