Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Government Intrusiveness.
Local Government is the least intrusive. 2 22.22%
State Government is the least intrusive. 0 0%
Federal Government is the least intrusive. 0 0%
Local government is the most intrusive. 0 0%
State government is the most intrusive. 1 11.11%
Federal government is the most intrusive. 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,926 times

Advertisements

Which level of government do you find to be the most intrusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
I voted LOCAL GVT IS THE LEAST INTRUSIVE. That's only because they don't have the chance to be.

Somehow our model of government got turned all upside down. However, I will take my chances against an intrusive GVT in my backyard, over a big one 2500 miles away. I hate DC.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I voted LOCAL GVT IS THE LEAST INTRUSIVE. That's only because they don't have the chance to be.
Interesting, because from a purely objective standard; in the last 10 years as a sole proprietor, I have had to deal with the Federal government on 12 occasions, 10 times to file my corporate taxes, and twice to deal with passport issues.

This week alone, I have had to meet with the local business improvement agency, twice with the borough over business privilege taxes, and zoning issues about my office (including signage). I won't even begin to discuss the issues that I have had to deal with when it comes to parking meter folks. The doesn't count the 10 years of filing my per capita tax, local service tax, school district tax and earned income tax, and I forgot, property.

It seems to me, the farther away government is the less I come into contact with it. But maybe that's me.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Interesting, because from a purely objective standard; in the last 10 years as a sole proprietor, I have had to deal with the Federal government on 12 occasions, 10 times to file my corporate taxes, and twice to deal with passport issues.

This week alone, I have had to meet with the local business improvement agency, twice with the borough over business privilege taxes, and zoning issues about my office (including signage). I won't even begin to discuss the issues that I have had to deal with when it comes to parking meter folks. The doesn't count the 10 years of filing my per capita tax, local service tax, school district tax and earned income tax, and I forgot, property.

It seems to me, the farther away government is the less I come into contact with it. But maybe that's me.
the federal government is most intrusive, mostly by regulation. the local and state governments are close behind though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies