Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,438,316 times

Advertisements

I was attending a cousin's funeral in Price, Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was working at a factory in Guthrie Kentucky. We all had headsets that transmitted over RF so we could hear anyone on the line, at anytime.

One guy in the back came over the headset and said "A plane just crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers". I thought it was a small plane, and some idiot pilot made a mistake.

It wasn't long after that, that he said that another one had hit the towers. Now that couldn't have been a coincidence. And by that time the reports were coming over the radio that these were large commercial jets. Shortly after that, we found out that the Pentagon had been hit. Production stopped. We had one big meeting, explaining what we'd heard so far. I called my girlfriend on a break, and asked her what she was seeing on the TV, and she told me. She was the first to tell me that one of the towers had collapsed.

I went to her house on lunch break to watch it on TV, and by the time I got there, the second tower had collapsed.

Ft. Campbell was shut down, code delta, no one getting on or off.

All around bad day. I remember looking up that afternoon and not seeing a single plane in the sky.

I will never forget that day, or what happened, as long as I live.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,282 times
I was on duty at Fort Knox, KY that day, working at Ireland Army Hospital. As it became apparent that we were under attack the post was on lockdown. I can remember being scared as the media reported the attack on the Pentagon and false reports of explosions at the State Department. At the time if felt like the beginning of WW III. I still get that tense and scared feeling watching documentaries or YouTube videos of news reports that day. I will NEVER forget that day until I die.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,060,392 times
I was in my 7th grade class up in the Bronx. We were doing our work when the school principle got on the loudspeaker and said " There has been a terrible tragedy this morning, would you all please have a moment of silence and pray for these poor poor people"...so I tought the president got shot. I asked my teacher what happened and she said "oh a small plane hit the twin towers" and I tought to myself that it wasn't a big deal. Kids started getting picked up from school and when I got picked up I was happy to be out of school...my mom picked up my bros and sis and we went home and watched everything on TV. That was when I realized how serious this really was.

I actually went up to the roof of my 6 story apartment building and you could see the smoke and flames downtown. It looked like NYC was under attack.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,489,421 times
Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was so sunny that day. I had just gotten out of a college math test (at about 9am) and went to the cafeteria to study for my afternoon class. I overheard a guy at the next table saying something about a plane hitting the world trade center and the pentagon to his girlfriend. I thought he was telling the plot to a new disaster movie and didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, I went home for a quick lunch, and when the car radio came on I heard that two towers collapsed. I sped home, turned on ABC news in my parents' living room and watched the footage of the planes hitting and the towers collapsing. I put my head over my mouth. I anxiously ran my hands through my hair. My body physically shook. I sat on the sofa. I couldn't believe it. What the hell just happened?....I didn't just see that...the towers...they crumbled...Oh my God we're being attacked! no...No...NO!!!!

Can't believe it was nine years ago.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,345,028 times
I was down there. I saw too much and can't watch any movies or specials made about 9/11. I hate this day and I hate the people that did this.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,595 times
I was in Air Force basic training, our week in the field. We had anti-terrorism class the day before. They told us and sent us back to our squadron building and let people use the phones if they needed to. I remember there was a guy who's dad worked for the NYC subway, and he was terrified. BMT ground to a halt that day, and then was 10x harder for the rest of it.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,794,743 times
I was at work at JC Penny and some guy asked if I saw the plane hit the Trade Center in NYC. I said, 'No not yet' and that whole day went by and seemed kind of erie without me knowing how serious things were until I got out of work to see the news at home, then I was like, Oh my God what the hell just happened. I heard about this at work, but didn't realize how bad things truly were then I realized why there were no customers at the store that whole day.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM

247 posts, read 576,512 times
I was in east peoria illinois... at a truckstop...

Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 PM

117 posts, read 394,873 times
I was in 7th grade german language class and a teacher came into our class saying that the World Trade Center had been attacked. I remember walking outside after school that afternoon looking up to the sky and seeing fighter jets patrolling the skies above our city. I know I will not ever Forget!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies