Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 17,162 times

Advertisements

I often wonder if future generations will argue about whether America attacked the Middle East after 9/11 simply because we are Christians, which would be false to begin with considering how many different beliefs and non beliefs we have here.

It seems that every Muslim enticed battle where they lose turns out to be an unjustified attack on innocent, peaceful people.

It's amazing to me that many people think that Muslims were all sitting peacefully around their dinner tables, minding their own business when the evil Christians "started" the Crusades.

I just wonder if we will remember that we didn't start this in 100 years, so many have already forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21012 View Post
I often wonder if future generations will argue about whether America attacked the Middle East after 9/11 simply because we are Christians, which would be false to begin with considering how many different beliefs and non beliefs we have here.

It seems that every Muslim enticed battle where they lose turns out to be an unjustified attack on innocent, peaceful people.

It's amazing to me that many people think that Muslims were all sitting peacefully around their dinner tables, minding their own business when the evil Christians "started" the Crusades.

I just wonder if we will remember that we didn't start this in 100 years, so many have already forgotten.
Dumb.

You have five posts, it's a bit early for you to begin trolling, isn't it?

And on such a tired, old topic, to boot. Search the most recent pages of the forum, new member. You'll find this topic has been covered. If you want, check out the thread about "Drumming Muslims out of America." All of the history lessons you have clearly never had are waiting within that thread. So are the counter-arguments, and every different aspect of this foolish debate you are likely to encounter.

Speaking of Muslims, this forum really should have a sticky topic called "Post your bigotry here: Why I hate people that are brainwashed differently than me !!!"

Last edited by chiaroscuro; 09-11-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Default How will the last decade be retold 100 years from now?

It will be retold in some islamic tongue.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Hopefully, it will be used as a guide of what NOT to DO or HOW to BE. But so far, seeing as, 'we' haven't learned much, if anything, from many past mistakes, it's a long shot.

Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-12-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Hopefully, it will be used as a guide of what NOT to DO or HOW to BE. But so far, seeing as, 'we' haven't learned much, if anything, from many past mistakes, it's a long shot.

I wonder when islam will learn of what you speak.

It hasn't happened yet and they're hell bent on taking over every country they occupy. (That's in their 'book' ya know.)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-12-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:

"We can re-write our history." ~ Michelle Obama

History belongs to the winners as they are the one who survive to tell it; or later, to re-write it to reflect gracefully in their favor.

In our relatively short time as a nation it is amazing how much our own history books have been revised/rewritten and what is generally accepted as history is nothing close to the reality of what was at the time it occurred.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:

Well that really depends.

History is written by the victors. While the Muslim extremists won't be able to overthrow America, they could claim victory in Afghanistan, and maybe the middle east.

How would history have been written differently if the Germans had won WWII?

The United States has only been around for close to 250 years. Hell our story isn't even written yet.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well that really depends.

History is written by the victors. While the Muslim extremists won't be able to overthrow America, they could claim victory in Afghanistan, and maybe the middle east.

How would history have been written differently if the Germans had won WWII?

The United States has only been around for close to 250 years. Hell our story isn't even written yet.
The world is likely to be very different 100 years from now. Muslims are a very fast-growing minority in many European countries and I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now they are close to if not a majority in France, maybe the UK and maybe even Germany. If you extrapolate current birthrates and immigration/emigration rates it would happen, but 100 years is so long many things we can't imagine or foresee now could make it different. I mean in 1910 could anyone imagine that there'd be ANY Muslims in Europe, or that there'd be 2 World Wars that drastically changed Europe to begin with or even begin to guess at the demographics of today's America (how many places that have large Asian and Hispanic populations now had any such population in 1910, for example)?

But anyway, if this happens, it will have a profound effect not only on the world geopolitik, but on how history is viewed. As for America, I see it as a bit more of a true "mix" or "melting pot" than it is now, with the largest single "group" being Hispanics, but a lot of almost every culture and as such it being not much different than today, maybe with a tiny bit more of a "Latin flavor" culturally (but I do not believe Spanish will take over English as the official US language, you'll see a lot more "bilingualism" and Spanish as a language will probably be a mandatory subject in schools the way English is in most non-English speaking developed countries or Arabic in Israel). How that affects history could go either way, more non-European cultural groups could give history a view that favors Muslims more, but on the other hand since these groups (especially Hispanics) are very religiously Christian, it could easily favor describing history even more so in favor of showing "we didn't start it" unlike the Crusades.

Though it probably borderline sounds it, I do not mean this to be racist at all, I actually think the core of America as a culture is a "mix of everything" with a changing "dominance" from northern European in its early history, to southern European more recently, to other parts of the world in years to come. The growing influence of Islam in Europe worries me more both because of a fear that the more extremist elements will dominate rather than the moderate ones and the fact that Europe involves a rapid change of a culture that dominated for 1 or 2 millenia (which I can't imagine going down easy) whereas America is more recent as a nation and has a culture that has always been "in flux".

If nothing else, this last decade will probably be viewed as when things "started changing", the way we perhaps view the 1920s or more likely the 1960s today.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 09-12-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
11111111100000100000011110000000000001111111111000 01010100000000000101111111111110000000000000000000 001111111111111111010100010000111010100001

Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The world is likely to be very different 100 years from now. Muslims are a very fast-growing minority in many European countries and I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now they are close to if not a majority in France, maybe the UK and maybe even Germany. If you extrapolate current birthrates and immigration/emigration rates it would happen, but 100 years is so long many things we can't imagine or foresee now could make it different. I mean in 1910 could anyone imagine that there'd be ANY Muslims in Europe, or that there'd be 2 World Wars that drastically changed Europe to begin with or even begin to guess at the demographics of today's America (how many places that have large Asian and Hispanic populations now had any such population in 1910, for example)?

But anyway, if this happens, it will have a profound effect not only on the world geopolitik, but on how history is viewed. As for America, I see it as a bit more of a true "mix" or "melting pot" than it is now, with the largest single "group" being Hispanics, but a lot of almost every culture and as such it being not much different than today, maybe with a tiny bit more of a "Latin flavor" culturally (but I do not believe Spanish will take over English as the official US language, you'll see a lot more "bilingualism" and Spanish as a language will probably be a mandatory subject in schools the way English is in most non-English speaking developed countries or Arabic in Israel). How that affects history could go either way, more non-European cultural groups could give history a view that favors Muslims more, but on the other hand since these groups (especially Hispanics) are very religiously Christian, it could easily favor describing history even more so in favor of showing "we didn't start it" unlike the Crusades.

Though it probably borderline sounds it, I do not mean this to be racist at all, I actually think the core of America as a culture is a "mix of everything" with a changing "dominance" from northern European in its early history, to southern European more recently, to other parts of the world in years to come. The growing influence of Islam in Europe worries me more both because of a fear that the more extremist elements will dominate rather than the moderate ones and the fact that Europe involves a rapid change of a culture that dominated for 1 or 2 millenia (which I can't imagine going down easy) whereas America is more recent as a nation and has a culture that has always been "in flux".

If nothing else, this last decade will probably be viewed as when things "started changing", the way we perhaps view the 1920s or more likely the 1960s today.
I understand that the Muslim population is growing in Europe, and I understand that has lead to part of the recent extremist actions that have happened as of lately in that region of the world.

But what has caused those extreme actions? Look at the way European countries have treated the growing numbers of Muslims in their countries. Hell, France has tried to outlaw their religious garb.

Thats one thing that the states hasn't had to deal with in the past. We've generally allowed Muslims to function as they would in our country, with little to no government interference. Of course, thats changed over the last month or so, with the 9/11 community center controversy, and the Qur'an burning thing.

The main reason many Muslim extremists have hated us in the past, and the main catalyst behind 9/11, is our support of Israel in almost every aspect. They hate us for that support, otherwise they'd be happy to leave us alone. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't support Israel, but in recent history the lines between good and bad in that region of the world have been blurred. Instead of Israel taking a defensive role, they have taken much more of an offensive role, which makes our support look even worse.

Another thing. The growing numbers of Muslims in Europe, and even the states can be seen as a good thing. Most Muslims, 95% or so, aren't extreme idiots. They only want to worship their religion peacefully, and to be left alone. Many of their children have become "westernized" and enjoy most of the things that most of us do. That means they are much less likely to do extreme acts.

The more Muslims in the middle east and the rest of the world are exposed to freedom, the more likely they are to act out against the theocracies that dominate the middle east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies