Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you support?
Keep tax cuts in place for everyone, including the wealthy 21 39.62%
End tax cuts for those making over $250K, but keep them for those making less 22 41.51%
Ending tax cuts for everybody 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,536,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The thing is, at once point in time the filibuster was hardly ever used. Now its a threat all the time.
And well they should use it to stop this crazed man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,859,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I hope you don't really believe him. He's a liar. He's pandering to the middle class for the sake of boosting his party's chances in November, so they don't look like they're willing to allow the tax breaks to expire for everyone for the sake of holding out so the super-rich can keep theirs. He'll have his party drag things out until the last possible minute, demand amendments that water the bill down to be almost utterly useless, then vote NO anyway. You'd be a fool to fall for this line. There is no way in hell he would ever actually support one of President Obama's policies. Ever. Lest the Tea Partiers use it against him and/or his party in campaign ads. He'll never ever ever give them that kind of ammunition.
Because democrats are doing such a bang up job for the middle class

Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,452,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

Because democrats are doing such a bang up job for the middle class
Yes. And we're trying to do more, unlike Republicans who only care about the top 1% of Americans.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,020,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yes. And we're trying to do more, unlike Republicans who only care about the top 1% of Americans.
Hot Air » Congressional committee reports ObamaCare is a $3.9B tax hike on middle class

And that trying includes a 3.9 billion-dollar tax on the middle class, directly due to Obamacare.

If that's the type of 'trying to do more' we can look forward to, I'll pass.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,338,593 times
Well up until Scott Brown, the dems had the super-majority needed for cloture, thus rendering the filibuster useless. Even since, the dems have invoked the nuclear option. Stop blaming republicans for the democratic failures in congress.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well up until Scott Brown, the dems had the super-majority needed for cloture, thus rendering the filibuster useless. Even since, the dems have invoked the nuclear option. Stop blaming republicans for the democratic failures in congress.
Who do you blame for Republicans not voting for a tax rebate for small business innovation?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,890,561 times
I always thought the tax code was and still is weird... for me, a married couple should be at LEAST in the same tax bracket as twice the single person income's (since there are two people) but that isn't the way it works, it penalizes when both spouses are successful which seems odd to me... if Obama is okay with a single person making $200k then he "should" be okay with a married couple making $400k and be in the same tax bracket but that isn't the way it is...

Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I always thought the tax code was and still is weird... for me, a married couple should be at LEAST in the same tax bracket as twice the single person income's (since there are two people) but that isn't the way it works, it penalizes when both spouses are successful which seems odd to me... if Obama is okay with a single person making $200k then he "should" be okay with a married couple making $400k and be in the same tax bracket but that isn't the way it is...
I think everyone should be taxed exactly the same. No marriage benefits, just taxed exactly the same.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:16 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,536,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think everyone should be taxed exactly the same. No marriage benefits, just taxed exactly the same.
I agree.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,472,127 times
It's about time for Boner to get his head on straight and stop holding tax relief for middle class America hostage for the sake of huge tax cuts to the top 2% of the wealthiest of the wealthy - most of whom do not overlap with the small business owner community he claims to want to help.

If you're going to spend $700B (which is what a tax break effectively is), then there are better ways to spend it than into the pockets of the top 2% of the nation's wealthy, who have been having no problem amassing more wealth than they can even burn in their lifetimes, tax breaks or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies