Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,048,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
good luck finding a "fiscally conservative" politician to get on board with a wealth redistribution plan.
Ron Paul. Doing away with the private banking mafia called the Federal Reserve and hamstrining our government's ability to devalue our currency and inflate us into debt will be a good start. The more open and free our economy becomes i.e. true open and transparent capitalism will begin to distribute the wealth that was stolen from the American people by the state corporatists aka fascists who have been in power for the last 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,221,781 times
Why should employed Americans worry about unemployed Americans?
Be a good American, don't worry about the fate of others, screw 'em. That's the American Way!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,961,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
it is a very sobering feeling seeing so many people in trouble right now. every day that i want to quit my job i realize there are 100 people who would take it in a second.

i dont see how we fix it though. no money for small biz start ups, banks wont loan. manufacturing all but gone, and it/tech is in india and china.

first it was general manufacturing, low skill employees, now it has reached into the high skilled areas like it/tech.

one can only assume things will continue to deteriorate.

the honest truth is the conditions are not favorable for running a business in the united states anymore.

and i dont know how you change that at this point
the first thing to do is cut the amount of red tape one has to go through to start up or expand a business at the local, state, and federal levels.

next cut the excessive regulations on business operation.

put in proper health care reform and financial reform laws.

in general, if we make the business environment in this country friendly to business, and let private industry do what they do best, make money, we can grow our way out of the economic issues facing us. we also need to get the prime interest lending rate up to around 6-8% to keep the fical pumps primed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post

The "fix" is really simple and quick.

1. Print a whole bunch of money $1.2T or so and give everyone a monthly check of $1k until the economy heats up.
2. Use the banks to soak up the excess money by having them raise their reserves that are held in the Federal Reserve Bank.
3. At the same time as you are giving out money up the minimum wage a lot, raising it in steps to $20 per hr or so. This will create the expectation of higher prices that will get people to spend money now.
4. Put a tax on the payment of interest on debt. This will raise the privet interest rate while keeping the public interest rates low. This will tend to pop the debt bubble that we have going now.
as i pointed out in another thread, you "solution" would have the effect of killing the economy completely.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,901,516 times
Quote:
good luck finding a "fiscally conservative" politician to get on board with a wealth redistribution plan.
I don't think that would be a problem at all. The problem would be that virtually all of them favor distribution of wealth in the opposite direction than is needed for a stronger middle class and consequently a stronger America.

What we really need is an awareness, not of fiscal conservativeness but of fiscal responsibility. That is not idealogues but pragmatists.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,879,646 times
Quote:
it is a very sobering feeling seeing so many people in trouble right now. every day that i want to quit my job i realize there are 100 people who would take it in a second.

i dont see how we fix it though. no money for small biz start ups, banks wont loan. manufacturing all but gone, and it/tech is in india and china.

first it was general manufacturing, low skill employees, now it has reached into the high skilled areas like it/tech.

the honest truth is the conditions are not favorable for running a business in the united states anymore.

How do you fix it? Hold on tight to your job, get rid of personal debt, hope for the best and wait out the wrenching systemic changes ahead of us. Honestly, there isn't a damn thing anyone on this forum can do to improve the situation.

But in the long run, new job and/or growth patterns with emerge as we all adapt to new circumstances.

For example: Maybe we should be buying stock in landfills. Imagine the profits that could be made by selling tickets and shovels to independent salvagers!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 PM

203 posts, read 279,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I guess you missed the quiverfull movement; the religious whacks in the US breeding like bunnies, etc.
If you have kids and you know that jobs will continue to be lost for whatever reason, you're adding to the problem.
And probably whining because your kids can't find work.

One way to get people to breed less is to cut all tax incentives for children. If you choose to have them, you pay for them.
IIRC, the Duggars DONT rely on government money at all and never have. I know many large families in the 6-10 kids range and none have taken government money.

But wont people adjust and find ways in the absence of government money and incentives? What do you do when that does not solve the problem? You end up with a policy like China as the only logical result since without force, there is nothing compelling them to stop.

Isnt there a bigger problem though of losing the dominant culture and the brains that built it? Will the London with an Arab majority be the same London as the one with an Anglo majority? What will going to Germany be like if there are almost no Germans and mainly Turks?

You may want fewer people but be careful what you wish for. I believe there was a movie in the early 90s made about this. All the intelligent people did not reproduce as much and the unwashed masses took over.

Japan is having a problem right now with too few babies. They are begging their youth to reproduce more since they will have an age imbalance. Will the young generation be willing to constantly maintain a welfare state for their parents that they will likely never see along with the duty of having large families to stop a huge decline in Japanese population?

Never in the history of mankind has a civilization been so eager to destroy itself as modern western civilization is. An civilization that is not growing is dying. Zero growth is something that is impossible to maintain because it would entail treating humans as commodities/animals and require the intentional culling of the heard in exact numbers as well as managing each and every pregnancy.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,696,688 times
Remove the federal income tax.
Create a 3% federal sales tax on everything NOT food, clothing and housing.
remove nafta, cafta and get out of the WTO.
Sit back and watch employment rise!!! Finally in the history of this nation the government will be watching us thrive without them.

Oh the horror.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,048,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Remove the income tax.
Create a 3% federal sales tax on everything NOT food, clothing and housing.
remove nafta, cafta and get out of the WTO.
Watch employment rise people have power and the government watching us thrive without them.

Oh the horror.
That still leaves the Federal Reserve.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,221,781 times
How to fix unemployment?
Easy! Relieve all corporations of tax burdens, it works every time!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,324,887 times
Quote:

Create an environment that is extremely friendly and conducive to the creation of small businesses. It's obvious that large corporation no longer have interests that are aligned with America's long term economic prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies