Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times

Advertisements

I can beat both - I AM autistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Well, now don't you win the self-righteous award because you worked in maternal-child health, all over the world. Many disciplines. Guess you win, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have worked in maternal-child health my entire adult life, well over 20 years, all over the world, many disciplines. Your turn.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
What a ridiculous statement. Tell that to a mom whose child was communicative, bright, playful, inquisitive, learning, only to see that child severely withdraw into a fraction of what he used to be. Something happened, despite your beating your chest to the contrary. I've watched you rant on and on and post message after message supporting your position as if these types of incidences don't exist. You've not been there with a child and experienced this, you've not done it. You have zero credibility with this, and I wonder if you are really just a shill.

"There is no evidence that children with autism are "damaged'. They may be different, but they are not damaged."
If you have a child with autism, I understand your anguish. I really do not have to have a child with autism to do that. I have had the experience of dealing with a child with a life threatening illness, however. And I do know autistic people.

The fact is that just because the autism is diagnosed after a vaccination does not mean the vaccine caused or in any way triggered the autism. Yes, something happened. The best evidence is that there are genetic processes in play that take a certain amount of time to produce the set of physical and emotional signs and symptoms that we call autism. These signs and symptoms follow a time pattern that is likely to coincide with vaccine schedules. That means that sometimes the signs and symptoms are first noticed contemporaneously with the vaccine.

Think of all the things that must be coordinated to produce a new human being from two cells, the development of heart, blood vessels, nerves, eyes, limbs, even hair. It amazes me that we are mostly all born with ten fingers and ten toes and two eyes. We are mostly either male or female. But some of us have an extra digit and rarely someone is neither quite male or female. Physical anomalies exist.

Is it so hard to believe that just as someone might be born with an extra finger, that someone may also be born with a brain that works differently, even though we do not yet have a test that can demonstrate the reason for that difference?

I stand by my statement that people with autism are different, not "damaged" --- no more than a person with Down syndrome is "damaged." I certainly hope that we as a society eventually can come to a place where we truly accept the different ones, learn to embrace their differences, and treat them with compassion and respect.

I do not know whose "shill" you think I may be. I do not get paid to do this. I am fortunate that my time is pretty much my own to spend and this is one way I choose to spend it. I feel that the public health damage already done by the anti-vaccine crowd is very real and unconscionably shameful, and I will do all I can to help reverse it. I do not now and never expect to receive a penny for doing so.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Well, now don't you win the self-righteous award because you worked in maternal-child health, all over the world. Many disciplines. Guess you win, then.
I don't want to win anything. If you think dispelliing myths and misinformation is self-righteous, that is your prerogative. I do believe it was you who suggested I spend 10 hours with autistic children, did you not?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I can beat both - I AM autistic.
Then I am very glad you are part of this discussion.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't want to win anything. If you think dispelliing myths and misinformation is self-righteous, that is your prerogative. I do believe it was you who suggested I spend 10 hours with autistic children, did you not?
Vaccines are bad.

If they aren't responsible for causing autism, they should be, considering what's in them.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Vaccines are bad.

If they aren't responsible for causing autism, they should be, considering what's in them.
That is your opinion, not a fact. Science is not based on hunch. Data needs to be there to back up that argument.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Vaccines are bad.

Ergo, I expect better of you.

This makes no sense at all.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
That is your opinion, not a fact. Science is not based on hunch. Data needs to be there to back up that argument.
How many vaccinations have you had?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ergo, I expect better of you.

This makes no sense at all.
People are getting stupider and stupider every day, and the autism rate is skyrocketing.

I think there's more to it than your anus in aquarius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies