Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Capital - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I shouldn't have to do this for you but I'll do it this one time...
Nice.. It appears you can't respond. I said that money earned from simply investing already-owned money should be taxed at least as much as money earned by hard work. You think it should be taxed much less but can't give a reason why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Wow. Are you really this dense? You really need to change your handle.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Nice try. I'm waiting for you to support your position. So far, it is apparent that you can't.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Capital goes in to companies where it "add to the long-term net worth of a corporation" in turn provides a better investment for people looking to invest their money and thereby raising people's retirements.

In other words if you tax capital gains you tax the people's retirement plans. It's that simple.

I went back on my explaining it to the ignorant comment, it won't happen again.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Capital goes in to companies where it "add to the long-term net worth of a corporation" in turn provides a better investment for people looking to invest their money and thereby raising people's retirements.

In other words if you tax capital gains you tax the people's retirement plans. It's that simple.

I went back on my explaining it to the ignorant comment, it won't happen again.
Taxing the peoples' retirement plans, taxing the peoples' wages... Capital gains are not exclusively for retirement (and don't forget about dividends now), but that aside, you still haven't explained why they should be taxed less than labor wages. It's still income, is it not?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So making money off of money, e.g. dividends and capital gains, something that basically happens automatically (you just have to already have money), should not be considered 'income' and therefore should be taxed much less than hard-earned money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Of course,it has already been taxed once.

Envy rears it's ugly head again.
With capital gains taxes, your money is not being 'taxed again'. Say you invest $100k and that investment earns you $10k. What is being taxed is the $10k, not the original investment.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Which leaves less money for capital, which, as we see, is money that can be reinvested into a company for expansion. Now expansion doesn't always mean more jobs or productivity but it at least gives the opportunity.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Taxing the peoples' retirement plans, taxing the peoples' wages... Capital gains are not exclusively for retirement (and don't forget about dividends now), but that aside, you still haven't explained why they should be taxed less than labor wages. It's still income, is it not?
I don't think you understand the word capital as it's referred to in a business.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand the word capital as it's referred to in a business.
That's your mistake. I've explained the reasoning behind my position, but you still haven't explained yours. I think income from hard work should be taxed no more than income earned by investing already-earned money. That's because hard work should be rewarded more than sitting on your ass. Your turn - explain why you think wealth should be taxed less than hard work.

eta: by the way, you seem to keep forgetting we are not just talking about capital gains.

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 09-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: eta

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Thumbs down how true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yup...envy is a strong emotion among some.

Particularly among the wealthy and their lapdogs...

Yet if you want to find real political rage — the kind of rage that makes people compare President Obama to Hitler, or accuse him of treason — you won’t find it among these suffering Americans. You’ll find it instead among the very privileged, people who don’t have to worry about losing their jobs, their homes, or their health insurance, but who are outraged, outraged, at the thought of paying modestly higher taxes.
The rage of the rich has been building ever since Mr. Obama took office. At first, however, it was largely confined to Wall Street. Thus when New York magazine published an article titled “The Wail Of the 1%,” it was talking about financial wheeler-dealers whose firms had been bailed out with taxpayer funds, but were furious at suggestions that the price of these bailouts should include temporary limits on bonuses. When the billionaire Stephen Schwarzman compared an Obama proposal to the Nazi invasion of Poland, the proposal in question would have closed a tax loophole that specifically benefits fund managers like him.
The spectacle of high-income Americans, the world’s luckiest people, wallowing in self-pity and self-righteousness would be funny, except for one thing: they may well get their way. Never mind the $700 billion price tag for extending the high-end tax breaks: virtually all Republicans and some Democrats are rushing to the aid of the oppressed affluent.

source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies