Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
quoting this is more than it deserves and I'm basically doing it in the hopes that a moderator will see how offensive you are. Your husband is in the military and that's great for him, you're not... Please stop being the typical officer's wife.. we don't care for you at all (we being people that actually serve/served in the military). matter of fact, if you even knew how many times you were the butt of a joke or subject of a slam you'd probably never show your face on base again... BTW, how many times have you yelled at a gate guard for not saluting you??
Where I've been and what I've done is of absolutely no concern to you, nor do I have to tell you how much combat pay I've earned, how much of my pay has been tax free or show you my GWOT-E...
to the person that gave me this neg rep:

07-26-2007 04:16 PM this is a personal flame - stop attacking posters and start commenting/debating on the topic instead

for this post, the least you could do is 1. read what a neg rep is for 2. sign it 3. let this person do their own talking...

I was offended by a post and that was how I responded. If you don't like it, don't worry about it, or post something.. that was pretty pathetic and weak

not to mention there was a post from a mod a few posts below it and I'm sure she would've said something if she felt I was out of line....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 03:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
that's an extremely one sided way to look at things.. last I checked I did quite a few things the average taxpayer has never done and most of them were far from pleasant.. besides, anybody in the country could do exactly what I did and they'll no longer have a complaint about health care...

so rd2007 your solution to solving the healthcare issue is to join the military?
and how is my view one sided?....you are in the military & get free healthcare for the most part. Who do you think pays for that? or does it come from thin air? People complain about welfare yet the military itself is nothing more than a grandiose welfare program.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

A solution was to do that and it was something that almost ANYBODY can do.. it doesn't take a law degree, great athletic skills, artistic skills, huge sums of money etc.. my point was there are jobs people can get that provide good coverage and certain people aren't locked out like another person suggested.. The mod that posted a while ago also pointed out a job that was open to anyone. I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of jobs that provide medical insurance to their employees..
However, some people would rather lay around and complain and/or hit the crack pipe a few more times.. that's their call, but they're on their own as far as I'm concerned. I don't appreciate my tax dollars going to fund the lazy people looking for a free ride..

also, I dare you to walk on a base and start walking around calling everyone there a welfare case.. nah, I can't post that. it could be considered threatening...

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
that's an extremely one sided way to look at things.. last I checked I did quite a few things the average taxpayer has never done and most of them were far from pleasant.. besides, anybody in the country could do exactly what I did and they'll no longer have a complaint about health care...

so rd2007 your solution to solving the healthcare issue is to join the military?
and how is my view one sided?....you are in the military & get free healthcare for the most part. Who do you think pays for that? or does it come from thin air? People complain about welfare yet the military itself is nothing more than a grandiose welfare program.
Sir, I served. When in Viet Nam, I was hit with an explosive device that through me about 25 yards. I broke my leg in 5 places. It was casted and I was back in country in 4 months doing it again. My first tour to Viet Nam sent me there in a neck brace because I had 5 broken vertibrae.

I did this to protect my country. The US gov sent me there and I believed in them. Yup, my injuries were taken care of money wise. But being in the military is not like working for Sears. Oh crap, I strained my back lifting that 52 inch flat screen. On the other side, I got shot at. I disarmed explosives I didn't get a 401K program. Welfare program? I receive no money for my duties. I receive no disabilities. I've applied for disability with the VA. They will work on injuries I recieved. In other words, they will work on my leg if it's bothering me now that I'm older. They said, "We can remove it, not much else we can do." I don't get no money from that. Where is this "Welfare" thing that you talk about?

I also realize that "Not being there", or "Not expierencing the same" that your thoughts are based on what you've heard and what the left wing media has supplied you.

We vets, simply aren't taken care of by the "Welfare" system that you speak of. So don't go where you don't know.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain
ironic......

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So I guess the solution according to some who have posted on this thread is simple - just become a CEO, and then everything will be taken care of. 'Lazy people' should just disappear, since they are not needed, and are not fit to fend for themselves. I guess the only problem with that plan is that we can't all be CEOs, actually, most of us never will be. Many of us do the grunt work that CEOs wouldn't even know about, let alone stoop to.

When as a nation, we put a price on life and who gets to keep living, we have failed. For those who think humans should model their existence on the animals in the jungles of Africa, let it be known that most would consider that de-volution, not evolution. Maybe we should throw you in the lion's den and see how you fare. Whichever one of you wins gets health insurance - survival of the fittest, right?
ha, I was looking through some of your posts just to make sure my ironic post fit (and it did!!) and I somehow missed this beauty...
which part of it's taken my dad 40 freaking years to get to the CEO/president level didn't you understand? man, some people just hate anyone that succeeds in the world and I just don't get it.. I hardly saw my dad growing up because he was always at work from before I woke up until around 7:00-8:00 PM at night or later.. the man gave his soul to the industry and is one of the most respected people in it today. grrrrrr, I swear some people are just so..... blah!!! he started out as a messenger on a bicycle and son of an immigrant electrician. Absolutely nothing has been handed to anyone in my family and we all work our butts off to get everything we have now!!

as far as the animal analogy, did you sleep through that part of school or something? or are you one of those people that refuses to believe humans are animals?

Old 07-26-2007, 04:51 PM

467 posts, read 325,142 times
Quote:
to the person that gave me this neg rep:

07-26-2007 04:16 PM this is a personal flame - stop attacking posters and start commenting/debating on the topic instead

for this post, the least you could do is 1. read what a neg rep is for 2. sign it 3. let this person do their own talking...

I was offended by a post and that was how I responded. If you don't like it, don't worry about it, or post something.. that was pretty pathetic and weak

not to mention there was a post from a mod a few posts below it and I'm sure she would've said something if she felt I was out of line....
What you said to me WAS offensive, but I didn't hit you for it. I would've signed it if I had. What I can tell you is that attacking my standing as an officer's wife is a silly argument to why health care shouldn't be for everyone.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM

467 posts, read 325,142 times
Quote:
Questioning an order is not an option unless it's a very obvious safety violation or human rights violation..

and I apologize for going off on you, but you certainly carry yourself like the typical officer's wife and it's pretty ugly.. I've never cared for them and never will.
The only thing that bothered me was you asking people about their service, as if where they served made any difference to a civilian...
I feel the only people entitled to those opinions are people that are serving and veterans.. I work with three other former Navy people and one of them retired after 20 years and never served on a ship.. I personally think that is BS for anyone in the Navy, but I served on 8 of them, so I have the right to that opinion...

and if your husband is in the nuke field, he has obviously served on a ship/sub. it may not be as glamorous as walking down the streets of Baghdad, but it's definitely a dangerous occupation. Plenty of people died on the ships I served on, mostly from accidents. hell, I got to smell burning flesh for months while I ate because a couple guys died in a fire in a JP5 pump room that happened to be next to the forward mess decks..
then again maybe I'm not fully understanding the battlefield/full insurance correlation.. everyone in the military gets the same insurance, it doesn't matter if they're in combat or not.

and hopefully nobody will go off on the Navy for not serving in combat. In 2006 we had over 25,000 people on the ground in Iraq and I'm sure the number is higher this year. A lot of people where I used to work, including myself, volunteered to deploy in support of the GWOT. That's how I got my GWOT-E medal
Thank you for your apology. I accept it. I still don't understand, though, why you felt it necessary to belittle me, but I hope you understand that not everyone you meet falls into easy categories.

I don't know exactly how I "act" like an officer's wife... What exactly does that mean? How do O wives "act" that makes you so mad. I think I am right because I am an intelligent person with my own opinions in the same way you have yours. Does your wife not possess an opinion? Does she speak out about it? Does that make her "act" like a typical officer's wife? Do you see my confusion? Is it women who speak out you dislike?

The reason I questioned you about the experience is becase your post indicated you had served and seen things that entitled you to your military insurance coverage. That is why I asked.

My husband was an enlisted nuclear reactor operator and then became a line officer who has served on many subs. He is heading for XO after CentComm joint command shore tour. He has always served on subs and I am very proud of his service and I do everything in my power to support his efforts to serve our country and protect my right to disagree with my government when I think they are wrong. I think we are wrong on health care and I think all Americans deserve the option of coverage. You might disagree with me and I'm okay with that. I don't have to call you names or try to debase you in any way.

You are absolutely correct when you say that Navy guys serve honorably and heroically every day. I just meant that they don't, in general, face battlefield experiences.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 AM

I think the reason I assumed typical officers wife was because they would be the only civilian to question anything miiltary (except civilian leaders of the military of course). I again apologize for ASSuming and I was quite confident you didn't send the neg rep. There's always someone wanting to play intraweb cop on the sidelines too afraid to join the actual fight. You're obviously not that type of person.. matter of fact, after this I'll give you positive rep for me being wrong about you and you holding your line against me.. seems this worked out fairly good in the end..
I think the reason I assumed that and you didn't understand it was we grew up in different worlds as far as the Navy. I grew up around aviation with my first assignment being an aircraft carrier (USS America) and second assignment being NAS Oceana. Hell, my first school was at NAS Pensacoloa, home of An Officer and a Gentlemen.. The women that marry aviators tend to wear their husbands rank on their collar and want everyone to treat them like the LT, LCDR, CAPT etc.. that their husband is.. or maybe I was just stationed at places that were chock full of them, but there were a lot. They tended to bankrupt their husbands too by living very lavish lifestyles.. I usually thought of them as gold diggers.
I've also been on two LA class boats and the submariner world is DIFFERENT. I never met any of their wives, but I'm sure it's safe to assume the wives are also unique.. I knew your husband was in the nuke field, but didn't know if he was sub or SWO, so knowing he was sub would've helped.. I realize it's bad to stereotype and I personally hate it when people do it to me, but in the military I guess we do it all the time and it's usually pretty easy. You could put a sailor, airman, soldier and marine in front of me in civilian clothes and I will pretty much guarantee you I can tell which is which..
so anyhow, we'll close that chapter and people can get back to arguing the value of the pig..

BTW, I have said this before and I'll say it again, I do believe the healthcare system sucks and it does need to be fixed. The only point of my last 20 or so posts was to say that people can do anything they want. A lame excuse of why they failed is usually just a coverup for them being lazy.. and this country was not built on the backs of the lazy. Those same lazy people seem to be bringing it down though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies