Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,730,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what is most disheartening is that most people do not take into account everything involved in abortion, including the mental toll later in life as one begins to realize just what really happened. and even as a medical procedure in a proper hospital setting, abortion is not as safe as people make it out to be, complications arise more often than is let on.
The same can be said for taking a pregnancy to full term . . . so please find another excuse for your willingness to limit reproductive rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Reading this situation made me feel sad for the daughter. I don't think abortion is an easy choice, especially for young women who already have children, but I think knowing that your family isn't supporting you (not your decision) has to make it even harder. If I was the daughter, I probably wouldn't ever feel comfortable around dad's live-in girlfriend again.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The same can be said for taking a pregnancy to full term . . . so please find another excuse for your willingness to limit reproductive rights.
first there is less mental stress later in life when a pregnancy is taken to full term, and the child is given up for adoption, than there is when a viable fetus is aborted.

second, while i am pro life, i can see good reason to abort an otherwise viable fetus, rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother are the conditions that are acceptable. but as birth control, no. people have got to be responsible for their actions, and that includes having sex which may result in an unwanted pregnancy.

third, i was merely indicating that most people think abortion is a neat, clean way to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, and that it is somehow perfectly safe, which in fact is far from the truth.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,730,509 times
Quote:
first there is less mental stress later in life when a pregnancy is taken to full term, and the child is given up for adoption, than there is when a viable fetus is aborted.

second, while i am pro life, i can see good reason to abort an otherwise viable fetus, rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother are the conditions that are acceptable. but as birth control, no. people have got to be responsible for their actions, and that includes having sex which may result in an unwanted pregnancy.

third, i was merely indicating that most people think abortion is a neat, clean way to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, and that it is somehow perfectly safe, which in fact is far from the truth.
Is not chosing to abort an unwanted fetus taking responsibility for one's actions?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:

So you're saying that you shouldn't have sex unless you're willing to birth a child. That means married couples, couples who want to be childfree etc. should not be able to have sex. As a woman who has zero desire for children, I should remain a virgin until my death.

I have had friend who have had abortions in the past, and only one regrets it as far as I know. The rest are all happy and successful. I also know a woman who brought twins to term and gave them up for adoption and is absolutely miserable because of it.

Every woman is different... and to take that choice away from them would be devastating. If you want to be pro life, go for it! But don't force me to be.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So you're saying that you shouldn't have sex unless you're willing to birth a child. That means married couples, couples who want to be childfree etc. should not be able to have sex. As a woman who has zero desire for children, I should remain a virgin until my death.

I have had friend who have had abortions in the past, and only one regrets it as far as I know. The rest are all happy and successful. I also know a woman who brought twins to term and gave them up for adoption and is absolutely miserable because of it.

Every woman is different... and to take that choice away from them would be devastating. If you want to be pro life, go for it! But don't force me to be.
There are ways to have sex without getting pregnant. I think the poster is saying that if you're going to have sex and you don't want to create a life then you need to be responsible for taking the precautions to make sure that doesn't happen. That would include married couples and couples who want to be child free and you, a woman who has zero desire for children.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Is not chosing to abort an unwanted fetus taking responsibility for one's actions?
Quote:

you two are missing the point. taking responsibility for your actions means that if you have intercourse, there is a possibility that a pregnancy will result, even if you use several layers of protection. and while i cant stop you from having an abortion, and can and will tell you that it isnt always the best answer.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No most pregnancies do not end in miscarriage. You don't have a crystal ball that can see into the future and you have no way of knowing if her pregnancy would have miscarried or not
Miscarriage

MISCARRIAGE RATES

Miscarriage in early pregnancy is common. Studies show that about 10 to 20 percent of women who know they are pregnant have a miscarriage some time before 20 weeks of pregnancy; 80 percent of these occur in the first 12 weeks [1]. But the actual rate of miscarriage is even higher since many women have very early miscarriages without ever realizing that they are pregnant. One study that followed women's hormone levels every day to detect very early pregnancy found a total miscarriage rate of 31 percent [2].

Perhaps not the majority, but 1/3 is significant.

Shouldn't this be in the relationship folder?
Quote:
what is most disheartening is that most people do not take into account everything involved in abortion, including the mental toll later in life as one begins to realize just what really happened. and even as a medical procedure in a proper hospital setting, abortion is not as safe as people make it out to be, complications arise more often than is let on.
Your opinion is not based in fact. Please provide some credible links to your assertion.

http://www.imnotsorry.net/
Welcome to I’mNotSorry.net, a site where women can share their positive experiences with abortion. The stories posted on this site may contain graphic descriptions of medical procedures, as well as attitudes that may not be in current vogue. We welcome visitors of all opinions as long as they are respectful of our views.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Quote:
you two are missing the point. taking responsibility for your actions means that if you have intercourse, there is a possibility that a pregnancy will result, even if you use several layers of protection. and while i cant stop you from having an abortion, and can and will tell you that it isnt always the best answer.
Against abortion, then I suggest that you not have one and keep the heck out of my reproductive choices.
It's none of your business.

But since you asked, how many unwanted kids have you adopted yourself?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,291 times
Quote:

Why would anyone be miserable about having a child and giving them up for adoption as opposed to aborting them??? She wishes she would have had an abortion, is that what your saying?

And the research proves that most women who abort a baby have much guilt throughout their life so your friends are either the exception or they are not being truthful with you.

Why do you forget about the life that doesn't have a "choice." It is too bad for the inconvenience of the mother that this life is already getting in their way. Yes, the woman has a choice to abstain from sex, or use birth control. And since birth control is over 95% effective it is usually due to irresponsibility rather than failure of the method. So the woman can be inconvenienced for 9 months then give the child up and go on with her life. Seems a small price to pay to allowthis life to enter the world and avoid the guilt and ugliness of abortion/murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies