Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following would you vote for to be President of the U.S.?
Evangelical Christian 30 23.62%
Atheist 57 44.88%
Woman 72 56.69%
Gay/lesbian 50 39.37%
Mormon 27 21.26%
Latino 59 46.46%
Black 59 46.46%
Muslim 18 14.17%
Jewish 51 40.16%
Any/all of the above 43 33.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'll admit that I would hesitate voting for an Evangelical Christian or a Mormon. Some would say that I should be leery of Muslims too, but perhaps I don't know enough about them yet to have formed a negative opinion. I don't consider Muslim extremists to be representative of all Muslims; on the other hand, I guess I've had enough exposure to Evangelical Christians and Mormons to have formed a negative impression.
I'll vote for anyone, as long as I agree with their platform.

Their personal beliefs weigh little on the scales of my decision making.

Big on personal choice, small on government control, and someone who wants to decrease the size of the military. Thats all I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
I'll admit that I would hesitate voting for an Evangelical Christian or a Mormon. Some would say that I should be leery of Muslims too, but perhaps I don't know enough about them yet to have formed a negative opinion. I don't consider Muslim extremists to be representative of all Muslims; on the other hand, I guess I've had enough exposure to Evangelical Christians and Mormons to have formed a negative impression.
As a Mormon, I am curious as to what it was specifically that caused you to have formed a negative impression of Mormons. I am also curious as to how many Mormons you have known personally in your lifetime. I'm not going to attempt to change your mind, but I am going to pick your brain if you don't mind, because this is a very interesting topic to me. I hope we can have a civil conversation on the topic.

And since I noticed that Mormons and Muslims are currently tied for last place in your poll, I am curious as to why people would be so hesitate to vote for a Mormon for President if he were the best qualified. In my opinion, a person's religion should not even be a factor and I'd like to think that most Americans are less prejudiced than this thread indicates.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I'd vote for all of them except the religious ones. Can I get a gay, black/latino, atheist woman per chance???
I don't know about that, but if Gladys Knight were to run, you'd get a black LDS woman. That's three birds with one stone.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As a Mormon, I am curious as to what it was specifically that caused you to have formed a negative impression of Mormons. I am also curious as to how many Mormons you have known personally in your lifetime. I'm not going to attempt to change your mind, but I am going to pick your brain if you don't mind, because this is a very interested topic to me. I hope we can have a civil conversation on the topic.
Most recently, the fact that major funding for Prop. 8 in California came from the Mormon Church. Historically, the fact that, for 150 years, the Mormon Church taught that black people are "cursed" with dark skin.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
I would/will vote for the person with simular values as myself and with a strong no nonsense repair for the USA. I guess I may have to vote for myself.

Last edited by Roaddog; 09-19-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Most recently, the fact that major funding for Prop. 8 in California came from the Mormon Church.
Thanks for your response, Male. Let me just clarify that "the Church" didn't contribute anything. It did request its members in Calfornia to, though, which I believe was absolutely wrong. I live in Utah myself, but had I been living in California, I would have never even considered contributing. I know a great many Mormons who feel exactly as I do.

Quote:
Historically, the fact that, for 150 years, the Mormon Church taught that black people are "cursed" with dark skin.
Again, I can understand why you feel the way you do. I was opposed to this policy for years, and am old enough to clearly remember when it was changed. I can remember that day well; I was happier than I have words to say.

I'm interested, though, in why you would not vote for a Muslim or a Mormon but would vote for an Evangelical Christian. Their attitudes towards people of color has long been far more "racist" than the Mormons'. Look at how long they had segregated congregations. The Mormon Church did not allow Black men to hold the LDS priesthood for quite a number of years, but we have always had integrated congregations. Maybe you should consider not voting for an Evangelical Christian either. And, if you take into account the problems the Catholic Church is currently having concerning child sexual abuse by priests, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to vote for a Catholic either.

What I'm really saying here is that we should be judging the man, not his religion. If I were running for President, and you were to refuse to vote for me because I was a Mormon, you would be voting against someone who actually shares your viewpoint on the two issues you mentioned. That should give you cause to think about what you said.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
If you're evangelical, mormon, or muslim, you will not get my vote. I'd love to get an agnostic and or athiest scientist up there for once.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If you're evangelical, mormon, or muslim, you will not get my vote. I'd love to get an agnostic and or athiest scientist up there for once.
From Newton to Lemaître, religious scientist have provided some of the very basic fundamentals for which we base all of our science on now.

Quote:
Thus, the whole power over the subject of religion is left exclusively to the state governments, to be acted upon according to their own sense of justice, and the state constitutions; and the Catholic and the Protestant, the Calvinist and the Arminian, the Jew and the Infidel, may sit down at the common table of the national councils, without any inquisition into their faith, or mode of worship.’
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/pdf2002/019.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm interested, though, in why you would not vote for a Muslim or a Mormon but would vote for an Evangelical Christian. Their attitudes towards people of color has long been far more "racist" than the Mormons'. Look at how long they had segregated congregations. The Mormon Church did not allow Black men to hold the LDS priesthood for quite a number of years, but we have always had integrated congregations. Maybe you should consider not voting for an Evangelical Christian either. And, if you take into account the problems the Catholic Church is currently having concerning child sexual abuse by priests, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to vote for a Catholic either.

What I'm really saying here is that we should be judging the man, not his religion. If I were running for President, and you were to refuse to vote for me because I was a Mormon, you would be voting against someone who actually shares your viewpoint on the two issues you mentioned. That should give you cause to think about what you said.
Actually, I said that I would vote for a Muslim, but had reservations about voting for an Evangelical Christian or a Mormon. I do appreciate your comments, though, and you may have helped me begin to not judge all Mormons as alike. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Actually, I said that I would vote for a Muslim, but had reservations about voting for an Evangelical Christian or a Mormon.
Oops. Sorry, my bad.

Quote:
I do appreciate your comments, though, and you may have helped me begin to not judge all Mormons as alike. Thank you.
No, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies