Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Why yes John P. Holdren thinks that he must use the free markey system to de-develop the United States in order to help the world's people live better. Read the link to find out what he means by de-develop and what we can look forward to from his thinking.

White House Science Czar Says He Would Use (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75388 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Never heard of that guy before, but he has come to exactly the same conclusion as I have
Of course what he says applies not only to the US and Canada, but also to Europe, Australia and other countries in Asia and South America.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why yes John P. Holdren thinks that he must use the free markey system to de-develop the United States in order to help the world's people live better. Read the link to find out what he means by de-develop and what we can look forward to from his thinking.

White House Science Czar Says He Would Use (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75388 - broken link)

Can't we just build into a paradise and let the others benefit by envy example?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Typical lies and spin from far right sources. The 1st lady urges people to eat healthier and they claim she's trying to steal the potato chips from their fat little fingers, a scientist talks about the science of climate change and the right wing nutjobs claim it's a giant conspiracy to destroy the economy.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Never heard of that guy before, but he has come to exactly the same conclusion as I have
I see you don't know much about the history of environmentalism in the US from your not knowing about Holdren and his agreements with the Ehrlichs in the 1970s.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
The only real future is a simpler one, and this guy's ideal is on the right track. The free market economy won't accomplish this since it's already a system that is doomed. The "only real future" I'm referring to is the one that is sustainable. Our current system of life is unsustainable and the sooner we accept that and learn to change it, the better...and less painful in the long run. Anyone who thinks they're losing their freedom here, the only freedom you're losing is the freedom to destroy yourselves and everyone and everything else with you. If you want to continue to be stupid, it is your right, but no one will console you when you cry for not having read the obvious signs.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Typical lies and spin from far right sources. The 1st lady urges people to eat healthier and they claim she's trying to steal the potato chips from their fat little fingers, a scientist talks about the science of climate change and the right wing nutjobs claim it's a giant conspiracy to destroy the economy.
I would hope you noticed the method Holdren suggested to de-develop the nation. If not then you didn't read the link very well.

What in hell does Michelle wanting to determine what foods we eat have to do with what Holdren and the Ehrlichs wanted to do in the 70s. Now if you compare this kind of thinking with Agenda 21 I might think you really know what is going on.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The only real future is a simpler one, and this guy's ideal is on the right track. The free market economy won't accomplish this since it's already a system that is doomed. The "only real future" I'm referring to is the one that is sustainable. Our current system of life is unsustainable and the sooner we accept that and learn to change it, the better...and less painful in the long run. Anyone who thinks they're losing their freedom here, the only freedom you're losing is the freedom to destroy yourselves and everyone and everything else with you. If you want to continue to be stupid, it is your right, but no one will console you when you cry for not having read the obvious signs.
I know many people who won't be crying at all once our government starts cutting the numbers of people in the nation and starts "racking and stacking" us in selected high rise cities. Of course, I will be one of the first to go because at my age I can't contribute much to anything, just consume etc. Oh yes that is what Holdren is talking about. He was in with the Ehrlichs in the 70s and he thinks like they did. Too many people consuming too much and that is taking from the rest of the world. We must re-distribute the wealth of the US by cutting its population and letting so much of the nation go back to nature.

How right on is Holdren? I bet I could show him a huge area of the US that environmentalists of the 70s nearly managed to destroy by wanting to return ranch land to its original manner without even knowing that the buffalo herds are all gone and bushes and weeds will take over if they aren't kept burnt off. The ranchers of the Flint Hills of Kansas had lots of trouble proving this to the environmentalists but finally won out. Holdren isn't about to accept what they proved, though.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Typical lies and spin from far right sources.a scientist talks about the science of climate change and the right wing nutjobs claim it's a giant conspiracy to destroy the economy.
the science of climate change has not been settled despite what the liberals say. there are still many questions that need to be answered. my problem is with people who push an agenda without knowing what will happen as a result of that agenda being put in place. some scientists claim that if we reduce carbon emissions, we will restore the planet, others claim that even if we eliminate all carbon emissions, it will be more than 100 years before any change happens.

and what if we make the changes that some claim need to be made, and send the trillions of dollars needed to make the changes, and nothing happens, then what? or we make the changes, and it has the opposite effect, global climate change becomes even more unstable. again then what?

and even if things get better, would it be enough to justify the expense?

i agree that we need to make changes in how we deal with energy, and we need to makes changes in what kinds of energy we use, and those changes are happening. but they will not happen overnight regardless of what legislation is put in place. new technologies are being developed all the time, but they need to be tested for a variety of issues. it wouldnt do to eliminate fossil fuels if the replacement energy system is even worse in the end.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see you don't know much about the history of environmentalism in the US from your not knowing about Holdren and his agreements with the Ehrlichs in the 1970s.
I know nothing about it since I live in Europe. But I am impressed that there are daring thinkers over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies