Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Absolutely not. When people think of the term "Racist" they think of someone who hates people of a particular race. Have a dating preference has nothing to do with hatred. It is a preference. Having preferences and standards is a GOOD thing and nothing to be ashamed of or socially stigmatized for.
Our preferences of who we are attracted to are usually largely determined at a very early age-- elementary school or middle school. Once they are set they often follow ut through life. Are you going to call someone a racist just because they had a good experience dating Chinese girls in late elementary school and middle school so that they now have a preference for Oriental girls? Ridiculous.
Totally agree. Are black people racists because they don't like ice hockey?

Personally I prefer blue-eyed, bald, white babies. I don't believe I'm better, but I like my race more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Totally agree. Are black people racists because they don't like ice hockey?

Personally I prefer blue-eyed, bald, white babies. I don't believe I'm better, but I like my race more.

Boy isn't that a mindbender.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
And choosing to date people based on race is in and of itself "racist". If you are judging a person based on their racial characteristics and thus place one race as more desirable than another, you are racist. If you aren't toying with the semantics then you must admit that this practice of dating based on race is a racist motivation.
I was reading this interesting article the other day. It was talking about what love is, and how people are attracted to each other.

BBC - Science & Nature - Hot Topics - Love - Attraction

I thought one part was very interesting, and it makes me wonder what the female version of me would look like.

Quote:
At the University of St Andrews in Scotland, cognitive psychologist David Perrett studies what makes faces attractive. He has developed a computerised morphing system that can endlessly adjust faces to suit his needs.

Students in his experiments are left to decide which face they fancy the most. Perrett has taken images of students' own faces and morphed them into the opposite sex. Of all the faces on offer, this seems to be the face that subject will always prefer. They can't recognize it as their own, they just know they like it.
If this is true, then a person should undoubtedly be naturally attracted to people of their same "race". Particularly of their same ethnic group(or maybe even some kissing cousins?).

In light of this evidence. I can only come to two conclusions.

1) The fact that well over 90% of all marriages are between the same racial group is normal, or even too low a number.

2) The people who marry across races tend to have mommy or daddy issues, and the increase in interracial marriages is most likely directly related to the huge increase in single-parent families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I will be relatively brief. No need to be apologetic about any of this. There are scientifically proven differences between ethnicities, that is true. For variables like muscle fiber types (that makes blacks better atheletes), the number of genes controlling the outcome (athletic ability) is few. So with fewer genes controlling a trait, you can definitely say "white men can't jump higher than blacks".

But when intelligence and brain development comes into play, there are 1000 genes. There are too many variations in how the outcome (IQ) will be determined. Thus any ethnic differences will likely wash out.
This is basically a silly argument. Yes, it is true that intelligence is affected by a significant number of genes. There are also a significant number of genes that affect height, maybe even more-so than the number of genes that affect intelligence. But there is no doubt that average height varies from one ethnic group to another.

There are also significant numbers of genes that affect things like, body shapes, physical proportions, hair structure, muscle types, etc.

In fact, there are far more genes that affect physical characteristics than mental characteristics. But everyone understands and recognizes the vast differences in physical characteristics from one group to another.

So to say something like "Because there is more than one gene that affects intelligence, then intelligence cannot vary", is simply unscientific.

If you took two people and founded two separate populations on this Earth. One person had an IQ of 150, and the other person an IQ of 75. Do you really think that both populations would become equally intelligent? Don't be silly.

Quote:
I do believe that blacks have higher testosterone levels than whites. However there are also other hormones and social/environmental factors determining a person's potential. These interactions aren't completely worked out enough for me to be bold enough to make any assertions. We then have to decide on a meaningful outcome measure - say for example, "success in life". I believe that effect of testosterone levels alone will be washed out in the sea of confounding factors. Gestation, puberty, handedness... aside from being theories not proven to be affected by testosterone, these associations are quite meaningless even if found to be true. As far as autism goes, the age of parents is also a factor. I would not recommend taking any study by itself at face value. Am I going to have less a chance of success if I developed faster in utero and was born 1 week earlier? Highly doubt it. Am I going to have more prostate cancer if I have high testosterone? Definitely... except I have no prostate. Am I going to be more or less successful if I have high testosterone? Doubtful. Do any of these things matter in practical every day life? Nah.
It is true. Having certain natural "gifts" or even lacking such gifts isn't really a guarantee of anything. I know plenty of extremely intelligent, or otherwise gifted people who do absolutely nothing with their lives. They seem to be completely absent any level of motivation or ambition.

It is obviously the character of the person that truly matters. But, you cannot deny that there is a high correlation of certain attributes and success(whatever that means). And intelligence is definitely one of them.

Quote:
But to return to your point about being "happier" living exclusively with your race. I was living in a place with a lot of people who were of my background. Instead of being happier, I actually became much more annoyed and claustrophobic. I do not think that you can speak for everyone in this matter. If you want to go and create your own ethnic colony (like many ethnic-communities do here), nobody will stop you... but not all people feel the same way.

Most people live in basically what amounts to "ethnic communities". The most "diverse" areas of this country are extremely ethnically segregated. You are actually abnormal if you do not want to "live with your own people".

The question is whether it is better to craft public policy that makes the majority of the people happier, or a relatively small "exception" to the population happier.

I find the idea of diversity to be so ridiculous, I am utterly dumbfounded on how it became so popular to begin with. People are absolutely hypocritical when it comes to diversity it is unbelievable. People talk out both sides of their face, but still believe their rationale is logically sound.

The simple reality is that, no good has come out of racial or ethnic diversity. None. To believe any differently is foolish.

And I am talking actual good, not "a new way to cook noodles".

And before you start spouting about the greatness of diversity, please read this.

Stalking the Wild Taboo - Jared Taylor - The Myth of Diversity

And please, don't immediately dismiss it because it was written by someone you don't like. Explain to me where he is actually wrong.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
[/b]

Boy isn't that a mindbender.

I see. You are filled with angst,
because you don't, like your race better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies