Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I think the USPS does a damn good job, considering. It's been very, very rare that something I mailed wasn't received and vice-versa.

My only complaint is the cost of shipping packages, which has spiraled into the stratosphere. Even more reason to NOT purchase items online, as I HATE returning packages. But UPS and Fed-X are expensive, too.

I still snail-mail most of my bills and use Netflix.
I get some of my bills by e-mail and pay all my bills via on-line banking, aka Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Some months I save as much as ten stamps worth of postage this way. My bank guarantees that if my account is hijacked that THEY will cover any losses. IMO they do this so they can get out of the business of processing checks, a very time consuming and expensive way to conduct business. They're willing to accept the risk of a few stolen accounts to get out of the check processing business. Other businesses want out of the business of opening envelopes, depositing checks and dealing with the bad checks that happen in the normal course of business. EFT allows both ends of the transaction to streamline their processes in many ways, and it goes a long way to reducing the amount of first-class letter mail.

The USPS is required by law to service every address in the nation six days per week, or 5 days for businesses that are closed on weekends. The letter carrier goes to your door or mailbox each of those six days. That's a big overhead to cover -- but it's also their greatest strength in that it gives them a great deal of leverage. Even if mail volumes go up, the current staff can handle it without adding much help, and that's the beauty of having the structure and processes in place to hit every home every day (but Sunday).

True story. There are Indian tribes living in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The USPS goes down there every day to deliver mail, a three hour round trip. UPS refuses to deliver down there due to the labor costs of that 3 hour round trip; what they do is take those packages to the nearest post office, pay the postage, and let the USPS deliver it for them.

I hope everyone heard KyDad95 when he said that bulk mail is 80% of the volume but only 10% of the income. That's a huge chunk of the issue. The desire of the USPS to raise junk mail rates runs smack into industry pressure on Congress to keep having WE THE PEOPLE paying high first class mail rates to keep subsidizing junk mail.

As I said before, the biggest thing causing the postal service trouble is the U.S. Congress, the source of ALL our ills.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I get some of my bills by e-mail and pay all my bills via on-line banking, aka Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Some months I save as much as ten stamps worth of postage this way. My bank guarantees that if my account is hijacked that THEY will cover any losses. IMO they do this so they can get out of the business of processing checks, a very time consuming and expensive way to conduct business. They're willing to accept the risk of a few stolen accounts to get out of the check processing business. Other businesses want out of the business of opening envelopes, depositing checks and dealing with the bad checks that happen in the normal course of business. EFT allows both ends of the transaction to streamline their processes in many ways, and it goes a long way to reducing the amount of first-class letter mail.

I simply do not believe in online banking. I don't even use debit cards.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I recall back during the Reagan Depression there was no home delivery on Wednesday or Saturday
Really? I am third generation USPS and I don't recall that, nor do my other family members.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
What is wrong with the postal service? That's perfectly obvious for everyone to see; it's called the internet. It has largely turned the post office into a dinosaur.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What is wrong with the postal service? That's perfectly obvious for everyone to see; it's called the internet. It has largely turned the post office into a dinosaur.
But too bad we will be around for a long while to come, huh.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Really? I am third generation USPS and I don't recall that, nor do my other family members.
I do, there was no home delivery on Satuday and one other weekday depending on where you lived. Some places it was Tuesday, some Wednesday and some Thursday. If push came to shove that wouldn't bother me. I don't need home delivery every day. Probably around 1983

Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Hmmm ... a governmental run monopoly that puts up roadblocks left & right lest they have any competition?

Yeah, no, nothing wrong with that.

umm, there is FedEx, UPS, and a few other options

Old 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
The USPS will have to adjust just as any other business has to. If not. Good-by.

When was the last time you saw a typewriter repairman?

I read where BolckBuster, largest video rental store, is going out of business.

Verizon, the largest of the old Ma Bell local telephone companies, has sold off ALL of it's land line telephone business.

The Internet will make the USPS obsolete.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Despite the fact that they work banker's hours, and generally have only one or two people at the windows working very slowly during peak hours, the US postal service is still miles better (and cheaper) than European mail service.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I do, there was no home delivery on Satuday and one other weekday depending on where you lived. Some places it was Tuesday, some Wednesday and some Thursday. If push came to shove that wouldn't bother me. I don't need home delivery every day. Probably around 1983
I will ask at work Monday and find out for sure. I have never heard of it, nor can I find it on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies